Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quiet, low retention single dose grinder question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet, low retention single dose grinder question.

Hi

I'm looking at upgrading my current set up from a Unico Splendor and Macap M4 doser combo. I've had this set up for ~12 years (can't remember the exact dates).

The machine choice is easy - the Profitec P700 (with flow control valve fitted) seems to tick every box. Better brew temp stability than my HX Unico Splendor, the ability to easily adjust said brew temp for different beans and a much quieter pump (rotary vs vibrational). I'm also sold on the variable flow control idea, which would suit my needs to a T.

The grinder choice, however, is proving a bit of a problem. I'm after a single dose grinder which:
    - is quieter than my clack-clack-clack M4 doser;
    - is at least the M4's equal in grind quality and consistency; and
    - has zero-to-low grounds retention.

I weigh and grind only sufficient beans for each extraction, so don't need a hopper to store beans, nor a doser to distribute the grounds.

I'm thinking possibly a Sette 270Wi or Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Specialita. Or maybe even the Niche Zero - although I'm not sure I'm sold on the grinding-into-a-cup idea.

I do, however, want a quieter grinder.

I'm uncertain if the grinders I'm looking at would be a downgrade in terms of grind quality, consistency etc over the Macap. I've read lots of info and watched many videos on the 270Wi and Eureka grinders, but can't find a comparison to the Macap.

I'm open to other grinder suggestions that meet the above criteria.

Budget is hopefully under $1k, but maybe up to $1.5k if there is a killer solution to my wishes.

So, is there a suitable grinder in my budget, or am I better off keeping the Macap and putting up with the noise?

Edit: Just discovered the Caedo E37S. Is this the answer to my question (albeit a tad over-budget)

Suggestions welcome. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by splashalot; 10 February 2020, 11:41 PM. Reason: clarity and additional info.

Niche zero

Comment

I own both a silenzio and a niche.
      Both are quiet and very low retention.
      I personally prefer the flavour out of the niche more.
      you don’t have to grind into a cup but I personally prefer it now. I can be doing other stuff while the beans are grinding.

Comment

It’s a little above your budget, but a Lagom P64 would be worth considering too. I’d expect grind quality to be excellent, and it’s designed to single dose with low retention, and is quiet.

Comment

Niche Zero ticks all your boxes. There are mods people do to grind direct into a PF, but grinding into a cup isn't particularly wearisome once you're used to it.

Comment

The NZ for you......

Comment

Agreed on the Niche.

Full and repeatable pressure profiling will shortly be available for similar $$$$ to the Profitec in the Crem 2B R-LFPP.

I'd reckon it's worth having a look over before you lock down. The problem with the GS3 and Profi style is how do you ever perfectly replicate something which worked well?

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
                Agreed on the Niche.

Full and repeatable pressure profiling will shortly be available for similar $$$$ to the Profitec in the Crem 2B R-LFPP.
                Thanks, but what is a Crem 2B R-LFPP?

Comment

Originally posted by splashalot View Post
                  https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ofiling-Rotary

Comment

Originally posted by splashalot View Post
                    Company website - https://www.creminternational.com/about-us/

Machine is listed under the Expobar line - https://www.creminternational.com/pr...obar/?subcat=8

Comment

I moved from a M4 to a Niche Zero just under 6 months ago. Grind quality is great and the consistency across the dose should be enhanced further by the upcoming Niche Flow Control (NFC) disc. They should be starting to sell with these in the very near future.

My perception of the sound from grinding is that it is slightly less than the M4, however the pitch is significantly lower, which makes it much more agreeable around the home. My wife isn't woken up by the rumble of this grinder compared to the whining sound from the M4!

Cleaning is very easy, taking no more than 2 mins for a basic clean. The adjustability of the grinder is amazing and simple to do. Once you follow the calibration process, changing to or from a setting takes the twist of a wrist and is easily repeatable. Retention is negligible, particularly after a couple of doses through it.

Mine is paired with a Londinium L-1(Original version) and I get some really nice coffee from the pair of them together, and the consistency of that coffee is quite excellent.

Don't let the dosing cup put you off, once you get used to it, it takes no time at all and helps to keep the area clean. I use a dosing ring when pouring the grinds into the portafilter before stirring and tamping. Very simple and very little mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash View Post
                        I moved from a M4 to a Niche Zero just under 6 months ago. Grind quality is great and the consistency across the dose should be enhanced further by the upcoming Niche Flow Control (NFC) disc. They should be starting to sell with these in the very near future.

My perception of the sound from grinding is that it is slightly less than the M4, however the pitch is significantly lower, which makes it much more agreeable around the home. My wife isn't woken up by the rumble of this grinder compared to the whining sound from the M4!

Cleaning is very easy, taking no more than 2 mins for a basic clean. The adjustability of the grinder is amazing and simple to do. Once you follow the calibration process, changing to or from a setting takes the twist of a wrist and is easily repeatable. Retention is negligible, particularly after a couple of doses through it.

Mine is paired with a Londinium L-1(Original version) and I get some really nice coffee from the pair of them together, and the consistency of that coffee is quite excellent.

Don't let the dosing cup put you off, once you get used to it, it takes no time at all and helps to keep the area clean. I use a dosing ring when pouring the grinds into the portafilter before stirring and tamping. Very simple and very little mess.
                        Thanks very much, Ash - that's all really helpful. I must admit the simplicity of the Niche Zero is very attractive - in both aesthetic and mechanical senses.
                        Think I'm leaning towards the Niche now.

Edit: I'm putting this here in case it assists anyone else facing a similar purchase decision. This is a fairly long read, but an in-depth and fascinating (for me at least) explanation and assessment of the Niche Zero. https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/wp-con...ero-review.pdf

These in particular answered my questions:

"The high torque coupled with high quality slow
                        rotating burrs moves the Niche Zero from being a
                        great grinder to being an astonishing grinder. Not
                        just because it's good for its size, but also because
                        you could put it up against a £1200 63 mm conical
                        burr grinder and outperform it in all the key areas
                        that matter when using them in a domestic setting.
                        With a grind quality that is as good or better. "

and on grind retention:

"THE RESULTS FOR THE NICHE ZERO?
                        The results were hugely impressive, so much
                        so I was seeing it and still not believing it!
                        These numbers are orders of magnitude less than
                        most grinders and calculated over many days of
                        grinding and measurement.
                        • Total Retention = 0.4g - 0.7g
                        • Dose Consistency = + or - 0.2g (usually
                        much less)
                        • *Exchange estimate = 0.3g max "

And luckily for me my favourite local roaster is an agent for the Niche Zero!
                        Last edited by splashalot; 11 February 2020, 12:22 PM. Reason: Additional info & typos

Comment

• petercoota
                          petercoota commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the link to the nichecoffee review, it was really worth the read!

+1 Niche Zero, best/most convenient grinder I have owned and the best single doser under $1500.

I have been using a Pringles lid which does reduce the pop-corning at the end of the grind. Haven't tried the disk solution but the Pringles lid certainly reducing the popcorning and the time for the last 2-3 beans to grind.

Comment

I would go for the Eureka Mignon Specialita.

You mentioned 'quiet'. It is much quieter than the Niche and better built overall.

It single doses nicely too if you want to single dose but the timed dosing is excellent as well.

You will be amazed how quiet the Mignon and Atom grinders are.

I owned one for a few months and can confirm the single dosing although in the end I used timed dosing. It doesn't popcorn either when empty which is important if you single dose.

It is also a lot cheaper than the Niche. I got mine for $800.

Comment

FWIW, I'd go the other way and am of the opinion that the Niche is worth every cent of the additional spend.

Ultimately this is all just opinion though. Best bet for the OP is to try them both if possible and choose the best match to workflow preferences.

Comment

Working...
                            X