Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka Atom - $2.50 single dosing solution from Bunnings

Hi all,

For those of you have been trying to find a solution to single-dose in with the Yurika Adam grinder I found this to be super easy and a perfect result.

Go to Bunnings and pick up

Holman 50mm PVC DWV Slab Adaptor

I/N: 4750189

https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-5...aptor_p4750189

Ok I lied - it's $2.64.

Then grab a plastic pill bottle. If you don't have one vitamins are cheap. Most will have a 40mm lid which fits nearly perfectly into the PVC plumbing piece. Fill it with pebbles for weight.

The adaptor fits perfectly into the atoms rubber flange.

The pill bottle fits very well into the PVC part.

It works 100% reliable and nothing hits the moving burrs.

Unfortunately I can not add pictures but message me if you'd like them emailed.

I'd love to see some pics of this setup. How do you find it works? You've still got the issue of retention for this grinder

Comment

Originally posted by benthomas View Post
      I'd love to see some pics of this setup. How do you find it works? You've still got the issue of retention for this grinder
      The retention for this grinder is about 2g which is very low. If that is consistent, single dosing is not really an issue. The problem is the popcorning caused by the augur. The augur tends to repel the beans if the hopper is not full.

Comment

Might give this a try myself.
        Lancruiser, you already know my thoughts on the retention of this grinder. I think it's more than that, if you have experience with it being 2g I'd be interested to hear about that and find out how you've got those results. In my experience it's more like 5-6g. The anti-static device, while necessary, makes this a difficult grinder to single dose with and people shouldn't buy it with that sole purpose in mind.

Comment

I'm also curious about the 2g. When I cleaned mine out I used to get around 19g total retention.

Comment

• lancruiser
            lancruiser commented
            Editing a comment
            I will refer you to Clive Coffee (https://clivecoffee.com/blogs/learn/grind-retention).
            Watch the video, they do talk about their methodology to determine grinder retention. This seems to be how Whole Latte Love measures grinder retention as well.

• lancruiser
            lancruiser commented
            Editing a comment
            I should add that 19g would probably be more like the pipeline retention of the grinder.

To be fair ninja, that 19g fills in the first couple of uses. I know after I clean mine I actually run it a couple of times to fill all the nooks and crannies, especially the oversized grind chamber. I doubt it is retaining 19g after the first two shots! No idea what the actual amount retained is.

Comment

It’s still a massive factor. Most of that 19g gets stuck up against the rotating arms that push the coffee around and out through the anti-static device. How are we to know how solidly it stays there? Does it mix with fresh grind and end up in the basket?

Comment

338 commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree on all of the above and the sweepers could be bigger or the grind chamber smaller. If I knew JBWeld was food safe I would probably make mine smaller. But I think Lancruiser hit the nail on the head that 19g is pipeline retention, not retention. Just cleaned mine this morning and easily took out 1/2 a portafilter

There was definitely an ongoing amount of changeover, that is to say the first shot of the day didn't contain all the stale grounds, the next few shots all had diminishing amounts of stale grounds, it wasn't until the fifth 20g dose or so in a short period that it would all be fresh. When grinding after a complete clean out it would be 7- 8 doses before the output mostly stabilised, and closer to 20 before it was uniform.

Comment

The 19g I'm talking about came from a similar method to what they describe:

We ground 80 grams of coffee through each grinder until no more coffee was dispensed. Then we opened up the burr chamber and swept out all loose grounds and cleared the chute and screen, collecting all those grounds and weighing them. This measurement is what we counted as the grinder’s total retention.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                The 19g I'm talking about came from a similar method to what they describe:
                Did you start with a clean chamber?

I don't use the Atom for single dosing but I do use a Mignon for single dosing. I find that the Mignon behaves differently as a single doser to a hopper grinder. I recently opened up my Mignon and the stale grounds I got does not even register on the Hario scale.

I think all this discussion is moot given that the Atom is not good as a single doser (sorry OP) because of the augur.

Comment

I didn't measure out 80g specifically, whether it was from empty after I cleaned it or when I cleaned it the maximum seemed to be about 19g. It took more than 80g to get it full though. I can't see how that should be the true measure of total retention.

Comment

Originally posted by lancruiser View Post
                    Did you start with a clean chamber? I don't use the Atom for single dosing but I do use a Mignon for single dosing. I find that the Mignon behaves differently as a single doser to a hopper grinder. I recently opened up my Mignon and the stale grounds I got does not even register on the Hario scale. I think all this discussion is moot given that the Atom is not good as a single doser (sorry OP) because of the augur.
                    You keep talking about it as a single dosing option! We are just responding to let you know it’s no good for single dosing. Actually, the augur is far less of an issue than the retention.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
                      You keep talking about it as a single dosing option! We are just responding to let you know it’s no good for single dosing. Actually, the augur is far less of an issue than the retention.
                      Ha ha... actually, if you read my first response in this thread, I said that the retention is not the issue, the problem is in the augur. I have never advocated the atom 60 for single dosing. The thread is getting too long, we have gone on a tangent.

EDIT: When I first got the Atom, I did try to single dose, it just took too long to grind a dose of beans. They keep on bouncing around.

Comment

AND, it retains a lot of grind comparative to other grinders.

I found the popcorning could be overcome by starting and stopping the grinder. I didn't single dose, just for getting the last of a batch of beans before starting a new one or getting ready for cleaning. But yes I agree, it does take a while to get the last few beans through.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                          I didn't measure out 80g specifically, whether it was from empty after I cleaned it or when I cleaned it the maximum seemed to be about 19g. It took more than 80g to get it full though. I can't see how that should be the true measure of total retention.
                          This morning, I closed the gate on the hopper and made myself coffee before grinding the rest of the beans in the throat of the Atom. I put the grinder on manual and grind until it emits a humming sound and no grind comes out. It took 3 tries and more than 1 minute.

I moved the grinder to a clean dining table. So that I can sweep up any coffee grounds that falls on the table. I opened by the top plate, removed a screw from the top burr then remembered to take this photo.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_081436.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	831757

So far so good. Removing the top burr. I am surprise by how clean the chamber is.

Name:	20200621_081729.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	831758
                          There are grounds in the opening to the chute. I don't have the tools to remove the front panel but put a light under the chute and took this photo.

Name:	20200621_082347.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	831759

The chute looks relatively clean. Using a brush and compressed air in a can, I blew off the grounds at the opening of the chute (near the anti-clumping screen) and the chute itself but not the chamber. The grounds fell straight down the chute.

I inverted the grinder and gave it a few taps until the grind chamber is clean. Sweeping up the grounds onto a plate, the stale grounds weighed 2.4g on my Hario scale. I checked the floor and verified that there are no coffee grounds. So I am confident I have most of it.

Name:	20200621_083748.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	831760

I did not start with a clean grinder, hence, slight higher than 2g of grounds than what Clive Coffee found.

I am the first owner of this grinder and have it for at most 6 months.

The beans I currently put through the grinder have been home roasted. A blend of Brazil, Colombia and Sulawesi roasted to just before second crack on a Kaffelogic.

I use VST basket (mostly 18g and 20g, rarely 7g, 15g and 22g). So I grind fairly finely.

I cannot explain the difference between your experience and mine but it could be kitchen conditions (humidity), the beans or sample variation.

Comment

Working...
                          X