Precision hand grinder review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precision hand grinder review

I searched and didn't really find a review, so figured maybe im the best guy for the job.
    I paid $100 from eBay for the woodgrain, but they are a bit dearer now and available in black.
    I have had mine for around 9 months, for aeropress, plunger and aeropress again (this week). Usage is pretty much 5x per week long black. The other days I use a lido 2e for espresso. Beans are always pretty fresh from local roasters and medium roast.

I find the medium roast beans are a breeze to grind 20g (full bean hopper), though the lighter single origin beans can be pretty tough to grip the grinder.
    I had a squeaky handle that just needed a squirt of CRC to quieten, and the handle Is magnet mounted so pops off easily.
    I work away and the grinder bounces around with me in my work bag, all day. Its pretty chipped on the paint, but not affected by its looks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	15853608820401867839005526757616.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	764071
    So I have been getting finer as the transition back to aeropress, and it takes a little longer to grind, but the steel burrs really feel to be cutting into the beans nicely.

Will it grind for espresso? Fresh beans, yep! Way fine enough... Mine locks up at setting #10 (12 positions per turn). Going to #6 blocks my Musica with vst basket (18g dose), and I know my pump pressure is good with a opv kit fitted. Going to #9 (almost 1 turn out!) Gives a 70g lungo in 30sec.
    I think there would not be fine enough increments for really getting a espresso fine tuned. But I bought it for aeropress, so not that bothered.
    All in, im pretty wrapped with it! Makes a damn good aeropress or French press cuppa.

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking at getting an e model so nice to think about what others have in addition.
    Last edited by ANewbie; 29 March 2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Are you talking about the lido E? There is no precision E grinder.

There is nothing bad about the lido (except the scaling, and I have fixed mine in that regard, and it's huge to travel with).

This review is about the precision. I see it's listed by a few sellers on eBay, and there seems to be a small and large. Mine is 140mm tall including handle. It holds 22g with the handle nearly on completely. They are listed at 15g and 25g, not sure what mine is meant to be.
      Mine fits into the back of aeropress easily.

Comment

Hi jackster, yes I am considering a lido E, so it’s nice to look at what other grinders people have at their disposal, or if they just sick to having one.

im waiting for an approval amount from my minister of finance before I narrow it all down further. I don’t think he would be supportive of pretty ones like the niche ha ha ha

Comment

Ground at #8 this morning. Took 1min of arm fun to grind 18g. This gave a 57g shot in 30sec. This is around 20g less than at #9.
          Looks like #7 is as close as it could get, will try it another day..

Of course grinding coarser for plunger makes it faster and easier, and darker roasts are faster again.

I am using a cut aeropress filter in bottom of vst basket at moment. I think I like that too!

Comment

Thanks for the review! I have the larger one (25g) but the bottom container can easily hold around 30g.

This is my second one which I'd received as a replacement.
            First one was bought in August last year and around January, it started having grind consistency issues. Lots of fines and the burrs started dropping during the grind (so becoming coarser mid-grind). I also found it very hard to grind light roasted beans.

I was kindly offered a replacement and this ones seems miles ahead of the last one. Surprised that these are meant to be the same product - I think the first one was a dud! It's a breeze to grind light roast (compared to the last one) and it's consistent. I'm getting minimal fines in my pourovers and can grind fine enough for moka pot.

I carry mine around a lot to work and travel. I also have scratches all over the body. There are some parts that are cheaply made. For example, with the handle, the pin had somehow fallen out and wouldn't hold in place (also got this replaced). The silver collar at the top keeps popping off as I grind (as that's where I place my hand). Despite all this, if you're looking for a hand grinder under $200, I think this is one of the best options when it comes to grind consistency.

I'm currently using 1.6 clicks for Aeropress (medium) and 24 clicks (so 2 full rotations) for medium-coarse.

Comment

Originally posted by melon View Post
              Thanks for the review! I have the larger one (25g) but the bottom container can easily hold around 30g.

This is my second one which I'd received as a replacement.
              First one was bought in August last year and around January, it started having grind consistency issues. Lots of fines and the burrs started dropping during the grind (so becoming coarser mid-grind). I also found it very hard to grind light roasted beans.

I was kindly offered a replacement and this ones seems miles ahead of the last one. Surprised that these are meant to be the same product - I think the first one was a dud! It's a breeze to grind light roast (compared to the last one) and it's consistent. I'm getting minimal fines in my pourovers and can grind fine enough for moka pot.

I carry mine around a lot to work and travel. I also have scratches all over the body. There are some parts that are cheaply made. For example, with the handle, the pin had somehow fallen out and wouldn't hold in place (also got this replaced). The silver collar at the top keeps popping off as I grind (as that's where I place my hand). Despite all this, if you're looking for a hand grinder under $200, I think this is one of the best options when it comes to grind consistency.

I'm currently using 1.6 clicks for Aeropress (medium) and 24 clicks (so 2 full rotations) for medium-coarse.
              Are you sure the first one was a dud? Sounds like the lock nut just came loosened a bit. Did you check this before sending it back? Also the upper collar is threaded so it should screw back in. If it keeps unscrewing put a bit of Loctite on the thread.

Comment

THanks for the review Jackster and others.... very useful. I am considering getting one for camping , mainly using with aero press.
                I have a Porlex and I HATE it. It’s slow and the grind quality is very inconsistent. The precision HG sounds like its better. Has anyone had experience with both and able to comment?

Comment

Originally posted by Sink_cut View Post
                  THanks for the review Jackster and others.... very useful. I am considering getting one for camping , mainly using with aero press. I have a Porlex and I HATE it. It’s slow and the grind quality is very inconsistent. The precision HG sounds like its better. Has anyone had experience with both and able to comment?
                  Yes. And you’re right, the Precision Hand Grinder is superior to the Porlex but a decent margin.

Comment

I gave away my porlex when I got the precision.
                    Still going good, used everyday for a hopper full (20g or so).
                    I am running about 9 clicks out from burs touching, this is only 1-2 click further out from as close to espresso grind that this will do.
                    Using with aeropress with the stainless filter and upside down brew method, results in a fast brew time, lots of flavour, and very little mud.

Looks like I have dropped the grinder at some time, as the top ring has a dent in it now. Also forgot the handle one day, and using a AFS spanner has chewed up the drive a little. But the handle is tighter now, so not completely un recommended.
                    Also, lighter roasted beans are hard work. The grinder needs to be tightly held, and I think sometimes it jams and maybe the burrset slips inside the body? Not sure as yet, some superglue will fix it if it gets bad. Could also grind coarser...
                    I prefer the medium roast beans anyway, so not that often I now get a light roast so.

Comment

How would this grinder compare to a 1zpresso JX Pro?

Comment

Originally posted by SimplifiedLife View Post
                        How would this grinder compare to a 1zpresso JX Pro?

It's less than 1/2 the price, holds about 1/2 the beans, fits in back of aeropress.
                        Not really same market

Comment

Those are good points. I'm more interested in consistency of grind, ability to dial in for espresso and speed of grinding. Just wondering how incremental the gains are between the two (or really this and the next tier up with comandante maybe fitting in there). I can always adjust my budget for a portable, but would prefer to avoid it if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by SimplifiedLife View Post
                            Those are good points. I'm more interested in consistency of grind, ability to dial in for espresso and speed of grinding. Just wondering how incremental the gains are between the two (or really this and the next tier up with comandante maybe fitting in there). I can always adjust my budget for a portable, but would prefer to avoid it if I can.
                            It’s actually pretty good for espresso, but it depends what machine you want to use it with. It has stepped adjustment so you might find that you can’t get quite the right grind setting at times, but the grind quality itself is good. If you’re using it for a manual espresso maker of some sort it should be fine. At espresso settings it’s a touch slow and a reasonable workout, but not horrendously unbearable. If you do get one make sure you get the bigger one so that it can hold up to about 25g of coffee. The small one is supposed to hold up to 20g, but I’ve got the small one and 20g is really pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                              At espresso settings it’s a touch slow and a reasonable workout, but not horrendously unbearable. If you do get one make sure you get the bigger one so that it can hold up to about 25g of coffee. The small one is supposed to hold up to 20g, but I’ve got the small one and 20g is really pushing it.
                              Hmm. The reasonable workout might lean me up the chain a little. I'd pay to do less work! Thanks. Really helpful!

Comment

Working...
                              X