Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• under $150 grinder for pour-over, not a handgrinder

Hi everyone
    After five years in Germany, I have just moved back to Australia- Brisbane. For pour-over duties until the container with all my stuff arrives, I am looking for an inexpensive grinder. Not a hand-grinder.

Of course there are the sunbeam ones. Also I saw threads on the Aldi and Kogan. Unfortunately, the former does not seem available any more and the latter has moved up in price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Daniel

You can often find a second-hand, relatively new breville smart grinder pro for ~ $100-150. I think these are pretty great around that price point. Concern is always longevity of these products; but I imagine them to be pretty similar to the sunbeam, and probably better made than Aldi/Kogan.

Comment

The Breville Smart Grinder Pro comes up on sale every few months or so for about $160 from most of the major appliance retailers. Keep your eye out over the next month or so, one should pop up again.

Comment

This one in the 4-Sale category is a beauty and right at your price point...
        https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...tml#post671527

Mal.

Comment

The Anfim Mal mentioned is a great grinder, but it’s an espresso grinder and wouldn’t be as good for filter coffee. As others have mentioned the Breville Smart Grinder is often available on sale for <$200 so keep your eyes out for one of them. Don’t be afraid to buy it’s little brother either - the Precision Pro. It’s exactly the same as the Smart Grinder but without the digital screen. It also lacks a catch jar, but the Smart Grinder catch jar is plastic anyway and I prefer to use metal catch containers. You can pick up a cheap stainless steel cup from a home store to use, or just use an old glass jar.
          The other options I can think of are the Delonghi KG100 and the Bodum Bistro. Both do a respectable job of grinding for soft brew, but neither are capable of a true espresso grind. Both good little grinders though. The Bodum in particular is well made with some nice features. Should be able to find one of them on sale somewhere for <$150.

Comment

Never found a decent Flat Burr grinder to be deficient for coarser grind requirements. The quality and freshness of the coffee being used has a much greater influence...
            Will outlast 20 Breville or other appliance grinders as a bonus.

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Mal: If the grinder were doser-less, and in Brisbane, I'd take it immediately.

Has anybody got experience with the Hario Smart G Electric Hand Grinder Bundle ? It's a Hario hand-grinder (like the ones I have been using for many years whilst traveling) plus an electric motor-device to stick on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                Never found a decent Flat Burr grinder to be deficient for coarser grind requirements. The quality and freshness of the coffee being used has a much greater influence...
                Will outlast 20 Breville or other appliance grinders as a bonus.

Mal.
                It’s more the bits after the burrs that make it less suitable for soft brew Mal, that’s all I meant. Agree that 50mm flat steel burrs would be great for soft brew if well aligned and in a quality grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by danq View Post
                  Thanks for the responses. Mal: If the grinder were doser-less, and in Brisbane, I'd take it immediately.

Has anybody got experience with the Hario Smart G Electric Hand Grinder Bundle ? It's a Hario hand-grinder (like the ones I have been using for many years whilst traveling) plus an electric motor-device to stick on top.
                  No, but it looks pretty crap. Ceramic conical burrs and lots of plastic. No thanks.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Leroy! I gave the Hario a miss and just ordered the Breville Dose Control Pro. Hopefully it will be here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by danq View Post
                      Thanks for your advice Leroy! I gave the Hario a miss and just ordered the Breville Dose Control Pro. Hopefully it will be here soon.
                      Dose Control Pro is what I meant when I said ‘Precision’ Pro. Not sure what I was talking about!! Haha! It should do the job for you. As I said use a stainless cup, old glass jar or even a glass cup as a catch container.

Comment

Working...
                      X