Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My plea for grinder purchase help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My plea for grinder purchase help

    Hey There,

    This is my first thread after lurking for a considerable amount of time. My journey started pre exposure to this forum with the BES250BSS (hiss) in a strong combination with pre-ground supermarket coffee. Safe to that the power combo was almost immediately binned. I then was opened to the world of coffee by the snobs and moved on to a Rok Espresso grinder with a nanopresso which in honesty served me pretty well for the longest time. I eventually decided to move on to a bigger machine and ended up after a long period of deliberation with the BES920 and BCG820 - I chose the BES920 at that price point mostly due to the quality of life features and it's dual boiler as well as the BCG820 for it's price.

    ~20-50 shots later and I managed to dial in and create what I and my partner believe is a pretty reasonable shot with our local cafe's great in-house blend (shout out to Meet Gerard Alexandria). I feel though that I could break through the wall I've encountered if I set myself up with a machine that produces a more uniform grind with less clumps.

    I weigh up to grind each time so I'm not concerned about a doser or any of that functionality (however I do like quality of life like the Sette 270wi's weighing function) and only ever make 1 coffee at a time. I'm looking for something that will ideally last a good 5 years before it's replaced with an upmarket model. I want as uniform a grind as possible with as little retention as possible and an ideal amount of fluffyness in the grind (heaps or none at all idk to be honest).

    I'm horribly indecisive and have some weird FOMO that I'm going to buy an outdated model and miss out on something so I'm seeking guidance from the powers that be. I am absolutely willing to spend the time it takes to learn to use a complicated machine if need be.
    -
    What coffee grinder should I buy to replace the BCG820 that fits the following criteria:
    - Falls in the 500-1000 range
    - Has a small footprint (19cm wide | 58cm deep | 57cm tall) due to limited bench space

    I've been looking around the forum and there are so many recommendations for many different reasons, I've been looking at a few including some not on this list but am certainly open to having my mind changed:
    - Profitec Pro M54
    - Macap M2M
    - Compak K3
    - Mahlkonig Vario

  • #2
    I have a couple of small grinders doing the rounds and they are workhorses (nevver suffer from FOMO).
    - Compak K6 (might be 20 years old and won't die)
    - Mazzer Mini (might be 15 years old and won't die)
    Multiple owners, million of beans and they just keep going strong.

    The Eureka grinders are worth a look too, similar industrial build quality that saves you from looking at other grinders for a long time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Add Eureka Atom and Mignon E to your list to checkout.

      Have owned the Atom and it is excellent, quiet low retention.

      Comment


      • #4
        I would also add the Niche Zero, slightly above your budget

        Comment


        • #5
          The Macap M2M, Compak K3 and Mazzer Mini were the pack leaders and best choices for quite a long time in this sort of range. There are now many more options and I’d suggest that while they’re all still very good grinders they have been bettered for either value, performance or features by other brands. I’ve had lots of different grinders over the years and currently have a Mahlkonig Vario. The Vario is my favourite espresso grinder so far so I don’t have a problem recommending it, but with one big caveat - it needs to be treated gently. The grind adjustment is done via two sliders that are quite easy to knock. If you adjust it finer without the motor running either intentionally or accidentally you risk stuffing the grinder until it is pulled apart and re-set. If you trust yourselves to use it properly then it’s fantastic.

          My other recommendation would actually be a Eureka. If I was buying a standard espresso grinder in this sort of price range I’d almost certainly be buying a Eureka. I haven’t used this or any of the other grinders you mention, but I’ve seen them all on the bench (although it was the bigger Profitec, I haven’t seen the 54) and I was impressed by the build quality and features of the Eureka Mignon. And it sounds like the new Mignon models have improved it markedly making them quieter and generally more pleasant to use.

          There are other options too of course. The Niche Zero and Baratza Sette or Forte are probably the main ones. The Niche and the Sette are more if you want to exclusively single dose. If you don’t want to then the other choices are probably better options for you. Hope this helps.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Andy View Post
            I have a couple of small grinders doing the rounds and they are workhorses (nevver suffer from FOMO).
            - Compak K6 (might be 20 years old and won't die)
            - Mazzer Mini (might be 15 years old and won't die)
            Multiple owners, million of beans and they just keep going strong.

            The Eureka grinders are worth a look too, similar industrial build quality that saves you from looking at other grinders for a long time.
            I've been hearing a lot of good about the latest Eureka grinders - thanks for sharing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
              The Macap M2M, Compak K3 and Mazzer Mini were the pack leaders and best choices for quite a long time in this sort of range. There are now many more options and I’d suggest that while they’re all still very good grinders they have been bettered for either value, performance or features by other brands. I’ve had lots of different grinders over the years and currently have a Mahlkonig Vario. The Vario is my favourite espresso grinder so far so I don’t have a problem recommending it, but with one big caveat - it needs to be treated gently. The grind adjustment is done via two sliders that are quite easy to knock. If you adjust it finer without the motor running either intentionally or accidentally you risk stuffing the grinder until it is pulled apart and re-set. If you trust yourselves to use it properly then it’s fantastic.

              My other recommendation would actually be a Eureka. If I was buying a standard espresso grinder in this sort of price range I’d almost certainly be buying a Eureka. I haven’t used this or any of the other grinders you mention, but I’ve seen them all on the bench (although it was the bigger Profitec, I haven’t seen the 54) and I was impressed by the build quality and features of the Eureka Mignon. And it sounds like the new Mignon models have improved it markedly making them quieter and generally more pleasant to use.

              There are other options too of course. The Niche Zero and Baratza Sette or Forte are probably the main ones. The Niche and the Sette are more if you want to exclusively single dose. If you don’t want to then the other choices are probably better options for you. Hope this helps.
              I'm probably going to start digging in and look at the Eureka offerings based on what I'm hearing around here. Interesting to hear about your Vario experience - I do like both the look and performance of the machine but prefer the espresso focused stepless offerings

              I forgot to mention that one of the bigger reasons for switching from the BCG820 was to move away from conical - though pretty much every offering seems to have flat burs in this bracket.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ngreen View Post

                I'm probably going to start digging in and look at the Eureka offerings based on what I'm hearing around here. Interesting to hear about your Vario experience - I do like both the look and performance of the machine but prefer the espresso focused stepless offerings

                I forgot to mention that one of the bigger reasons for switching from the BCG820 was to move away from conical - though pretty much every offering seems to have flat burs in this bracket.
                Apart from the Sette you'll find mostly flat burrs in this range as you're moving above the small conical burr/appliance brand grinders to the entry level prosumer grinders. The Niche is also large conical burrs, but its a bit above your price range. The Vario is an outstanding espresso grinder. The standard Vario that's fitted with flat ceramic burrs is far better at espresso grinding than it is at grinding for soft brew. Don't be fooled by the adjustment as although it's somewhat 'stepped' the adjustments are so small that it's comparable to all the other stepless grinders being mentioned in this regard.

                Comment

                Working...
                X