Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (used?) grinder

Hi,

I have been reading around this forum for some time and I can honestly say that this is a very decent community! Lots of information and of course lots of opinions!

I intent to buy a grinder to be used with my moka pot and my wife's drip brewer...
    The grinder might be also a 1st step towards a half-decent espresso maker in the near future.
    So I would like some opinions on what to select or what to look out here.

What I am looking for? A grinder that:
    - Will be used for moka and drip coffee
    - Will be used with an espresso machine (unpressurized basket?)
    - Cost $150 - $200 if it's really worth it. New or used.
    - It would be nice if it can grind fine enough for a Turkish coffee

So far I have found some Ibertal @ $150, a Gaggia MDF @ $130 which I missed, a Rancilio MD @ $200 and so on...

What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your time!

What model Iberital? Is it an Iberital Challenge? If so they’re a good grinder and one of the better small conical burr grinders. However along with the others you’ve mentioned they’re a bit more suited to espresso duties, mostly due to the stepless adjustment. Stepless adjustment gets a bit painful if you want to use the same grinder for a range of different brew methods. To be honest I’d probably just grab a Breville Smart Grinder Pro. They can be found new for as low as about AUS$180 on sale at times and they’re a good all round grinder. If you end up going out and buying a $3k prosumer machine at some stage it will possibly fall a bit short in being able to deliver top notch results, but would still do the job until you can upgrade. It’s also not the best option if you were going to be making lots of pour over coffee with expensive, high end, microlot coffees, but again it will still do the job. Really it’s just a good all rounder which is what it sounds like you’re after. It’s clean, tidy and quiet and offers a fairly pleasant user experience. Another similar option is the Baratza Sette 30AP, although they’re out of your price range new so you’d be hoping to find a second hand one. Sounds like they’re quite noisy and a bit messier too, but don’t count it out.

Comment

Excellent analysis! thank you for your time. Is there any real difference between the Smart Grinder and the Dose Control apart the "smartiness" ?

Comment

Originally posted by strdim View Post
        Excellent analysis! thank you for your time. Is there any real difference between the Smart Grinder and the Dose Control apart the "smartiness" ?
        If you get the Dose Control Pro the only real difference is the lack of a digital interface and option to have 2 preset timers. It also doesn’t come with a catch container, but that’s not a huge issue really as you can just use an old glass jar or stainless cup/container (glass and stainless are preferable to plastic anyway). So to answer your question the Dose Control Pro is good value at the right price. Just make sure it’s the ‘Pro’ (BCG600) as the original Dose Control (BCG400) is quite inferior. I know as I have both.

Comment

Originally posted by strdim View Post
          Hi,

I have been reading around this forum for some time and I can honestly say that this is a very decent community! Lots of information and of course lots of opinions!

I intent to buy a grinder to be used with my moka pot and my wife's drip brewer...
          The grinder might be also a 1st step towards a half-decent espresso maker in the near future.
          So I would like some opinions on what to select or what to look out here.

What I am looking for? A grinder that:
          - Will be used for moka and drip coffee
          - Will be used with an espresso machine (unpressurized basket?)
          - Cost $150 - $200 if it's really worth it. New or used.
          - It would be nice if it can grind fine enough for a Turkish coffee

So far I have found some Ibertal @ $150, a Gaggia MDF @ $130 which I missed, a Rancilio MD @ $200 and so on...

What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your time!
          Hello there
          I am sure that the forum members will make the necessary explanations to the friends who make requests like you. My advice, when buying such devices, be sure to buy the good ones, they can be expensive sometimes, but I think it's worth it because it's a matter of taste. Hee, is the expensive one better, the room is debatable of course.

Comment

Working...
          X