Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM0480 + Clumpy Grind

Hi guys,

Lonngggg time Sunbeam EM6910 user (coming up on 12 years now and 2 machines) but relatively new to CS! Finally deciding to pay attention to my coffee making every morning.

I have a EM0480 paired with my EM6910 and I'm getting a very clumpy output from my grinder. Regardless of the kind of coffee I use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5993.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	301.2 KB ID:	827054

Can you guys help? What is causing this?

Cheers
    Scott

Hi Scott, Welcome to CS! When’s the last time you gave the grinder a good clean?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
      Hi Scott, Welcome to CS! When’s the last time you gave the grinder a good clean?
      Thank you! Been a while. I'm nervous to pull it apart as I have had these play up in the past where they just stop grinding finely. I'll give that a go at my next coffee change over.

Cheers
      Scott

Comment

Yeah I’ve pulled a couple apart and the burrs can be hard to get back in and can take a couple of goes to get it seated properly again. Just mark where you had the grind set to so you can easily get it back in the ball park. the clumping might be due to coffee and coffee oil buildup inside the grinder.
        Last edited by crazyhakins; 11 May 2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

These are clumpy grinders by nature, cleaning should improve it a little.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
            Min is almost as bad Ninja. Gotta find a way to get my Atom back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
              What would be a suitable 'upgrade' within an affordable range?

Comment

Originally posted by scottwright View Post
                What’s your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by scottwright View Post

My cheap method: grind into another container, stir the grinds to break up the clumps, and pour into your basket. Make sure you tap the portafilter a few times to distribute the grinds evenly

Otherwise, if it's static based clumping, which seems likely given ninja's comment on the EM0480 being a clumpy grinder, I've heard people have had success reducing static by lightly misting their beans with water just before grinding them. That would require dosing your beans before placing them in the hopper though

Comment

Particle distribution will go to crap if you single dose it

Comment

Originally posted by CannotBePucked View Post
                      My cheap method: grind into another container, stir the grinds to break up the clumps, and pour into your basket. Make sure you tap the portafilter a few times to distribute the grinds evenly Otherwise, if it's static based clumping, which seems likely given ninja's comment on the EM0480 being a clumpy grinder, I've heard people have had success reducing static by lightly misting their beans with water just before grinding them. That would require dosing your beans before placing them in the hopper though
                      James Hoffman has a video where he stirs the beans with a spoon that’s had its handle dipped in water and it apparently works to reduce static.

Comment

I, too, have an EM0480 grinder which has recently started clumping as in the photo above.

So, my options are:

1) take it apart and give it a good clean? (or, being at least 7 years old, this would be wasted effort?)

2) toss it and use the grinder I used when I got my EM6910 (can't remember the model number but it was the one that came as part of the package)

3) toss them both and buy a new one - if so, recommendations?

Comment

Are there any video links on pulling one apart, I have a spare [roadside recycling ] and not sure of condition. Also how can you tell when the burrs are wornout?

Comment

Well I took my usual machine apart and gave it a good vaccum, yes it works and now it grinds without clumping, 10 minute job

Comment

this will give a basic look at it
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X