Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at buying a new Grinder!! Advice Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at buying a new Grinder!! Advice Please!

Hey Coffee Snobs!!

I am shopping around for a new grinder as I have currently been using a tall Porlex Hand Grinder for Pourover Coffee. I am purchasing an espresso machine so am looking for a grinder that will cater to quality espresso shots and also alternative brewing.

I don't want to spend more than $1100 however am keen to hear everyone's opinions. I'm currently looking at getting a Mazzer Mini Electronic Type A.

Thanks

Mazzer are great built like a tank grinders which will last forever.

You could also consider Compak K3 Advanced, Macap M2D V2, Fiorenzato F4E. Normally would recommend Eureka Mignon and Atom but not sure how easy they are to switch from espresso to brew grind as they have a worm gear mechanism.

The Niche Zero is above your budget locally new at around $1,299 unless you want to order one direct from the KickStarter. This is very easy to use for different brew methods I often switch between V60, espresso and then in between for a Flair espresso maker.

Comment

• charlatte
      charlatte commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks heaps for your insight! I haven't looked much into the Niche Zero just because I have never really used one. What sets it apart from the Mazzer Mini?

• roosterben
      roosterben commented
      Editing a comment
      Partly mentioned below Niche Zero is a single doser so you weight out for example 20 grams and then grind the 20 grams back into the tin. Then you dump the grounds in your portafilter. Grind settings it has nice reference numbers in a ring where you adjust the grind and you can easily swap from espresso to V60 ranges (although some people find they need to go further than the scale to get coarse enough). It also has very large conical burrs which are from the Mazzer Kony so you get good grind quality. It does have a few downsides as it is not good for making multiple coffees for guests etc unless you weigh out the beans and place in little containers in advance. Also you can prob only get say 40-50 grams in the hopper so for larger batches say for cold brew you sometimes need to do a couple of batches of grinding. Due to the easy adjustment and near zero retention dialling in beans and swapping beans is easy and you waste very little beans.

I have the Atom at the moment and the Mazzer Robur. I would vote for the Mazzer Mini, Mazzer make great performing grinders and they are built to last forever.

Comment

• charlatte
      charlatte commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks heaps! I did opt for the Mazzer Mini and am so keen to try it out!

For that price point i'd highly recommend spending a little extra and buy a niche zero, it'd do both pour over and espresso effortlessly. You'd have to wait a bit for a brand new one but I think someone might be selling one in near new condition in the buy/sell page.

Otherwise a mazzer is great for espresso, and continue using your hand grinder for pour overs. But switching back and forth in settings isn't really ideal, it can be done though. Not very familiar with the eureka's etc. but I think more or less the same for espresso use.

Comment

• charlatte
      charlatte commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks heaps! Yeah, I was thinking about the grinding capability for pour-over. However, I have also been looking into getting the Fellow Ode Grinder. I have heard so many great reviews
Working...
X