Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baratza Sette 270Wi shims

Hello fellow CSers

Have any Baratza Sette 270Wi owners installed the two shims that come with the machine? I was originally grinding for espresso at a setting of about 9D-F, depending upon beans, then, and I'm not sure when it happened, I found myself having to grind at a macro setting of around 3! I purchased the grinder new and have only had it for about two years, and have only ground an estimated 12Kg of coffee (at about 20g per shot), so I'm pretty surprised that I've gone from 9 to 3 having ground only that quantity of beans. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I installed the two shims on the weekend and backed-off the macro setting to 5. My Espresso Wow! beans arrived this morning and I went through 80g before getting close to an acceptable grind. Now, the macro setting is on 15!

On another note, a couple of weekends ago, I pulled the burr assembly out and lucky I did, because the burr came off with only a couple of turns. I noticed that the Loctite appeared only to be painted on the lower part of the nut, and the upper part, where the burr screws in, was clean - an assembly defect, perhaps.

I think I posted about a 270w, and 1 shim was equivalent of 6 on the macro. I can't find the post now

Comment

Found it in the for sale section:
      It has had 3kg of beans through it. Has both shims installed and its grinding espresso fine at around *13. Remove 1 shim and it will be at around *6.

Comment

My wi seemed to bed in pretty quickly, and was moving towards the finest grind setting. So that was when I installed both shims, though 1 would have been enough.

I think your single dosing has some effect as the full burr of beans stops the burr riding up to a finer setting. Also the retained grounds (I think) never purge through completely, and the staling grinds affect the brew.
        Pretty sure that was why I developed the plastic grinds probe, to get a heap of the fines out each time.

I had a pretty staticy bean the other day, and put a couple of drops more water than I thought would be needed. But they came out good and not stuck everywhere. Not sure what the limit on adding water to the dry beans would be

Comment

Nah I'm hovering around the 8-10 mark at the moment depending on the bean. I think I started around 12-13ish or so? And I've had mine for a year and a half, have never had to go that low a grind setting! Although I'm not sure if mine already came with a shim installed (with some extras)... I highly recommend contacting Baratza directly. Shoot them an email, they were super helpful when I contacted them!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
            My wi seemed to bed in pretty quickly, and was moving towards the finest grind setting. So that was when I installed both shims, though 1 would have been enough.

I think your single dosing has some effect as the full burr of beans stops the burr riding up to a finer setting. Also the retained grounds (I think) never purge through completely, and the staling grinds affect the brew.
            Pretty sure that was why I developed the plastic grinds probe, to get a heap of the fines out each time.

I had a pretty staticy bean the other day, and put a couple of drops more water than I thought would be needed. But they came out good and not stuck everywhere. Not sure what the limit on adding water to the dry beans would be
            Jackster Interesting thing about the burr movement during single dosing is that that's the only way I've ever used the grinder, so that doesn't explain why the macro was fine at 9 in the early days of use, then moved down to 3. The retained grounds sit quite a way below the burr, so other than defeating one of the reasons I bought the grinder, I don't think that they have any impact on burr movement. That burr should be screwed in tightly and rock-solid (for the benefit of other readers, I say "should be" because I found my burr loose when PhatBoy inspired me to investigate the retention situation). You reminded me that I need to make a grounds retention remover from a few cable ties.
            I've still yet to try spritzing the beans to see if that reduces retention - thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Regarding grind retention, it seems pretty low, and I'm not sure the ones that cake in there actually fall out until you remove the burr to clean them out. Regardless I usually purge 1g before every shot, it's not much and it covers all bases anyway . But would love to know what amount is retained and gets put into the next dose...

Comment

Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
                Regarding grind retention, it seems pretty low, and I'm not sure the ones that cake in there actually fall out until you remove the burr to clean them out. Regardless I usually purge 1g before every shot, it's not much and it covers all bases anyway . But would love to know what amount is retained and gets put into the next dose...
                simonsk8r I recently had a discussion about this very topic (link below), and had the same thoughts about retention as you, until I pulled the burr assembly out. That gram or so of retained grounds gets clogged in the same path that the grounds fall through, so I'm sure that they are pushed into the portafilter on next grind.
                https://coffeesnobs.com.au/%2Fforum%...6%23post835836

Comment

Originally posted by MarkQ View Post
                  simonsk8r I recently had a discussion about this very topic (link below), and had the same thoughts about retention as you, until I pulled the burr assembly out. That gram or so of retained grounds gets clogged in the same path that the grounds fall through, so I'm sure that they are pushed into the portafilter on next grind. https://coffeesnobs.com.au/%2Fforum%...6%23post835836
                  Ah yes that's right I did see that, thank you! Yeah I have noticed the grounds that cling inside those little chambers. Next time I clean the burrs I'll weigh them as well but yeah that sounds about right. A 1g purge isn't too bad really! And I'd probably prefer to do that than get them out with something... the new 1g will just replace those and then freshly go into the next dose I guess. Hmm usually I purge that before every dose but now reconsidering and thinking maybe I'd be right to only do that at the start of my session, not for before my 2nd or 3rd cup as well.

Comment

• MarkQ
                    MarkQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When you say "purge", how do you do that? I've only ever used my grinder to single-dose, running the grinder until nothing comes out the bottom, but even doing that still leaves about a gram stuck in those plastic slots in the burr assembly. I was thinking that I'd give the machine a sideways tap, but think that's not a good idea given that other users have reported that their grinders have stopped working because one of the PCBs has components sitting upside down that have had broken connecting wires due to normal machine vibration. Even with the burr assembly removed, I had to tap it with a lot of force to dislodge the grounds in the slots (where the grounds fall on their way to the portafilter).
                Working...
                X