Eureka Atom ticks all the boxes for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka Atom ticks all the boxes for me

After a week or so of research, and acquiring a Alex Duetto 3, l think l have decided on the Eureka Atom 60e. Would you believe it the one l decided on is in Melbourne and probably can`t get posted because of the lock down. Has anyone got one for sale that they could post and aren`t in a lock down area? l could go new but my budget and brain says no and my heart says yes. The eternal struggle!!

Many of the sponsors here will ship the Atom

Comment

• NTBrew
      NTBrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you suggesting that they could freight free anywhere in Australia, do they do us discounts etc? Do l contact the sponsors through this forum or just go straight to their website and tell them that l`m a CoffeeSnober? Sorry about all the questions and lack of knowledge, l`m a newbie and still learning!

• Javaphile
      Javaphile commented
      Editing a comment
      Click on the "Quote" link found at the top and bottom of every page. Fill out the form giving as much detail as possible. When you are finished a copy will be sent to all Sponsors. Those who can help you will reach out and get in touch with you.

Java "Happy click" phile

• NTBrew
      NTBrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankyou very much Javaphile, l`ll give it a go......Ciao.

They don't come up often 2nd hand (there was one up in the for sale section for a few weeks ago) but there was a shop doing them for about $850/$900 not sure if it was a sponsor or not.

Comment

• NTBrew
      NTBrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Was the second hand one the white one from inner Melbourne? If so, l have made an inquiry about it and haven`t heard back, anyway their in lock down so probably couldn`t get it posted unless a freight company did a pick up from there place and l`m not sure whether that is possible also.

• roosterben
      roosterben commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep I think so.

Was the second hand one the white one from inner Melbourne? If so, l have made an inquiry about it and haven`t heard back, anyway their in lock down so probably couldn`t get it posted unless a freight company did a pick up from there place and l`m not sure whether that is possible also.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterben View Post
      there was a shop doing them for about $850/$900 not sure if it was a sponsor or not.
      There were a whole bunch of places doing then for about $950 a few weeks ago. Casa Espresso for $1190 is the best I could find now with a quick search.

Comment

• NTBrew
        NTBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, l can`t find anywhere at $950 damn it, $1190 is okay but l`ve got freight to Darwin too, l`ll keep looking for a good deal, if l sit back and relax and don`t rush in something good will happen, l hope! l`ve been searching all day yesterday and today. Still no reply about the white one in Melbourne which is advertised here Thanks for keeping your eye open, Ciao

I picked one up recently from Alternative Brewing for $925 during EOFY.

Though there are times I wonder what like would have been like if I had gone the Specialita.. because the retention on the Atom is indeed high and requires a 5g purge each morning. Its also non-practical for single dosing (you'll have a minute or more of popcorning).

Other than that its fabulous.

Comment

• NTBrew
        NTBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn, l`ve done quite a bit of research recently and the impression l got with the Specialita and the Atom is that the grind retention was minimal, 5 gram purge is significant but not the end of the world. When it comes to pop corning is the Specialita and the Atom much the same, l`d be doing a few double doses every morning so the grind amount into the the last porta filter would be less. The time it takes to finish filling takes a bit longer wouldn`t bother me so much. l spose l could weigh the beans like some do but that would make the timer superfluous? l think my brain is about to explode with info overload!! Actually my original choice for a grinder was the Specialita.

Sounded like the research I was doing just about a month ago! Off the top of my head, the Specialita seems to have anywhere from 1g to 2g retention. Because the Atom 60 has more "space" in the grind chamber, there are more grinds hanging around. On a scale of things, having to purge 5g versus 1g doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's just the pop-corning that makes single dosing completely impractical on this machine (and i am coming from a machine where I exclusively single dose - so have needed to adjust).

A few weeks later and I'm all settled in with the Atom "work flow" though. Beans in the hopper, grind straight into the porta filter, quick weigh on the scales and top up if needed, tamp and into the machine. The timer is good to within +/- 0.5g in my experience, so you don't necessarily have to bother weighing at all.

It's a little faster than the Specialita (with the bigger burrs) and it's extremely solid and quiet.

I'd say:
      If you're using beans in the hopper - go Atom.
      If you are a single dosing "purist" - go Specialita

Comment

• NTBrew
        NTBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that, l still think l`ll go the Atom, l also like the idea of a pause if you remove the porter filter as apposed to pushing down the two buttons on the Specialita, and then there is the light to watch whats happening. The look and presence of the grinder got me too, should look good next to my Alex Duetto 3.

• NTBrew
        NTBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Finally found a goodish deal on an Atom 60E, new 3 months old with receipt and warranty, approx 3 kg put through, black, in original box and packing, $1000 which includes freight to Darwin. l`m happy with that.

You won't be disappointed!!! Hope you find a good deal

Comment

• roosterben
        roosterben commented
        Editing a comment
        I have single dosed with the Eureka 60E I found a 49mm or so tamper sat in the bean funnel perfectly with the hopper removed. This avoids popcorning. You might find a weight or something, if you tend to use heaps of different beans the Eureka will get annoying with the purge adjust, purge again, but if you have use the same ones then single dosing works reasonably well. Also one other note if you happen like dark roasted bean the Atom can get clogged up with grounds from oily beans and block the funnel.

• NTBrew
        NTBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that roosterben, l do like a dark roast but l`m going to experiment with a few different roasts and blends, depending what l can find up here in Darwin, looks like a visit to the Parap Markets just across the road on a Saturday. So once l find my favorite roast and blend l`ll probably stick to that for a while.

• NTBrew
        NTBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks lancruiser, that was a good post about single dosing adaption to a grinder. Might give it a try and do a few tweaks of my own to see what l can come up with.

The Atom 65 (and 75 of you can find it) have less retention because they have the same size grinding chamber but with bigger burrs.

Comment

• NTBrew
        NTBrew commented
        Editing a comment
        ls the body of the 65 and 75 the same size as the 60 and the hopper is larger and circular?
    Working...
    X