Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: SSP 64mm VS. Mazzer Major 83mm (your choice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: SSP 64mm VS. Mazzer Major 83mm (your choice)

Hello,
    Totally subjective question perhaps. Talking STRICTLY about GRIND QUALITY ONLY, disregard all workflow, aesthetics etc.
    To ensure they are compared fairly, conditions are the Lagom used as is (single dose) and the major/SJ with a hopper with beans in it for anti popcorn effect.

It may not be a total apples to apples comparison but lets assume:

- SSP 64mm (espresso burrs) installed in a Lagom/Mazzer SJ somewhat aligned (sandpaper)
    - Mazzer major 83mm somewhat aligned (sandpaper method, or maybe not at all)

Let's see which you all prefer, theoretically larger burrs should win but would like to see your opinions. They can be your opinions or maybe you have used a P64 and a major side by side. Let me know in your comments! Remember these can be totally your opinions still. Keeping in mind that we are comparing between grind quality.
    SSP 64mm
    42.86%
    Mazzer Major
    57.14%
    Last edited by c0alJK; 10 August 2020, 01:12 PM.

I think other things being equal bigger is better for grinding quality.

Grinders are a physical device so precision is key to a good grind and you rely on precision from the manufacturing process. I think Mazzer are still probably the best on delivering great grinders even if they don’t tick the boxes for home hobbyists at times.

Comment

• c0alJK
      c0alJK commented
      Editing a comment
      Certainly so, up to a diminishing return maybe?

Agreed, timeless + longevity are always welcomed!

I'm not talking with any authority on the subject BUT if all things are equal excepting size isn't size then only a determinant of grinding throughput?

Cheers

Comment

• c0alJK
      c0alJK commented
      Editing a comment
      I too don't have evidence to back it up but if the same burr geometry was used then quite possibly, up to a certain size perhaps. Then again that's only my judgement haha, that's why thought it'd be interesting to see other's thoughts on how a performance smaller burr vs a standard larger burr would do.

• Dimal
      Dimal commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by SanderP View Post
      I'm not talking with any authority on the subject BUT if all things are equal excepting size isn't size then only a determinant of grinding throughput?
      This is true...

Bigger size, bigger bearings but often more money put into the whole assembly to get repeatability and good grinding...maybe

The bigger diameter means finer adjustment and conical even more so due to geometry.

So conical versus flat and also burr design influences it.

People have plenty to discuss and debate.

Comment

Working...
    X