Baratza Sette 270Wi Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baratza Sette 270Wi Grinder

Hi CS's, I'm looking at a new grinder. Heard different things about the Baratza Sette 270Wi Grinder. Some say cheap plastic rubbish and others say they are ok. I'm looking at getting a Bezzera Duo as soon as this lockdown is over in Melbourne. Was tossing up between the Mazzer Mini E and the Baratza Sette 270Wi Grinder. Just wanted some input on what people have and are happiest with.

Cheers

At the risk of answering a question with a question: have you heard anything bad about the Mazzer Mini E?

Comment

Originally posted by lancruiser View Post
      At the risk of answering a question with a question: have you heard anything bad about the Mazzer Mini E?
      No, I have a mini manual and used mini manuals in my cafe as a second grinder and for decaf. Never had 1 fail yet in 15 years. I was wondering who has a baratza and if they are good or crap

Comment

Had my Sette 270Wi for almost 2 years, best grinder I've owned and it ticks all the boxes. Have gone through 3 grinders and this one I love. No major issues, apart from once when it just turned off randomly (has not happened since), the hopper little lock-in foot just broke the other day (superglued it back on and all good, all hoppers are made from similar material anyway so not this grinder issue), and some beans can be super staticky due to the speed of the grinder (there are workarounds to this). And I think you'll find most of the issues occurred with other Sette models, the 270Wi seems to have rectified them. Super fluffy clumpfree grind, really accurate dosing and low retention. Awesome grinder that I highly recommend, can check out the big thread I made for more of my thoughts and experiences with it. Mazzer mini E will have many fans here too I'm sure . I was always worried about the Sette's durability too, but taking care of it and not chucking it around and it's still going strong!

Comment

• robusto
          robusto commented
          Editing a comment
          The sette grinds superbly, choice of 3 doses you program yourself so no need to pre-weigh the beans or time the grind. I've had mine for just over 2 years, and last week it made a very loud (louder than usual) but unusual noise. The gearbox is damaged. I contacted the distributor in Perth (I'm in Melbourne) who diagnosed the noise as a damaged gearbox, and gave me the choice of returning the machine to be fixed or sending me a free new gearbox. I opted for the gearbox. It arrived the next day but I haven't had a chance to install it.

I must admit that while the machine is a delight to use, and the quality of grind is very good, the construction is very plastic...I might go into detail in a separate post.

This is my concern. The longevity of the unit and the grind quality. I'm assuming you guys use it for espresso? and not for cold press or plunger. I know $700 isn't a high price for a grinder but still would like it to last 5 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by clubbi4 View Post
          This is my concern. The longevity of the unit and the grind quality. I'm assuming you guys use it for espresso? and not for cold press or plunger. I know $700 isn't a high price for a grinder but still would like it to last 5 years or so.
          Yeah I use only for espresso, superb grind quality, never had a grinder with better. Clumpfree, fluffy grinds. Extractions are so even through the naked PF. Yeah absolutely, it was my primary concern as well. Only time will tell I guess, would love to hear from even more longterm users (although I'm unsure how long it has been out). From all my research alot of issues were fixed with the Wi, but I don't 100% know. I do know that Baratza are big on designing grinders that can easily be fixed instead of being thrown away. I also really want it to last too. Ah that's interesting robusto , was all okay prior to the noise and you were using it as normal?

Comment

Simon, no hint of a problem until last week.

But I am wondering whether in fact the gears wore over time, with the subsequent noise creeping up on me so it never became noticeable until last week? Possible.

I installed the new gearbox today. It too is all plastic but at least comes with a new rotating outer conical burr.

So if the old one lasted 2 years I don't see why the new one would go any longer.

The problem is fixed, the sound is now of grinding rather than of grating, and much quieter. Which leads me to suspect the creeping wear.

To allow for the no-retention straight down drop of grinds, the motor sits horizontal. To apply its rotating motion to the burr requires a clockwork-like system of gear wheels. Unfortunately they are all plastic cogs, in a plastic housing.

Not ideal.

Comment

I've been using this grinder daily (average 2 cups per day, espresso grind) for 7 months now. No problems so far but I'll keep an eye out for problems as the machine ages.

Comment

Working...
              X