X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka Atom / Olympus 75 vs. Niche Zero

Hello fellow coffee lovers,

I need some educated advice.

TL;DR - I’d like to know if anyone tried a Eureka Atom 75 / Olympus 75E Versus a Niche Zero -

Top priority - taste wise.
    Second priority - retention wise.
    Third priority - no comparison, just opinion of owners.

As far as I know the Olympus and Atom 75 would produce the same taste with less noise and retention from the Atom.
    ———————————————————————————

I have an HX E61 machine (Expobar Office Leva) and a Niche Zero.

However, I’m not happy with the taste I’m getting from my set.

I feel like I’m not getting enough sweetness and tastes brightness as I’d like.

For a long time I thought it’s something with the barista in me, the machine or the water. After improving my HX techniques of cooling the group head and controlling its temperature and changing my water treatment to Bestmax Premium.

Finally I took my Niche to a roaster I’m buying from and we used his machine and my grinder. And he noted it’s mostly the Conical burrs I’m not happy with.

I was looking for an affordable grinder with large flat burrs and not much retention.
    I don’t mind 2 grams retention if the taste is worth it.
    I can either purge 2 grams or use some hacks like the “Blow Up Hopper”

Finally, I’m not Australian, but I appreciate the Australian coffee industry and know that you guys know what you’re talking about ?.

Thanks.
    Jonathan

Have you considered the Lagom P-64? More expensive than the Atom, but IMO blends the best of the Niche Zero (minimal retention, single dosing design workflow) with flat burr flavour profile. https://www.option-o.com/lagom-p64

I have one arriving next month, so cannot comment on the flavour profile yet. But there is a large thread on Home Barista with many user experiences: https://www.home-barista.com/grinder...-o-t60117.html as well as a thread here on Coffeesnobs: https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...2577-lagom-p64

Comment

Of course I checked the option - too expensive unfortunately
      600 usd extra is too much for me

Comment

OK. I understand.

Have you checked the price of the Atom 75, though? When I last asked the Aus distributor it was going to be a special order at around $2,200-ish.

Edit: Might help if you tell us where you are located, too.

Comment

Well, I’m located in Israel.
          It will cost 1050$(US) to bring it here.
          Plus taxes. The Lagom is 1550$ and it will increase the tax payment as well. So it will be 585USD extra for me that I can’t afford.

Plus, there is still the option of the Olympus 75 which is much cheaper now. So I’m also considering that.

Is there anything you can tell me about these grinders vs the Niche ? Especially taste wise ?
          I see a lot of discussions that the whole flat vs conical is not that apparent when using the Niche.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by yonika View Post
            I see a lot of discussions that the whole flat vs conical is not that apparent when using the Niche.
            I've not seen any discussion to this effect. My experience is that the typical flat vs. conical differences are unchanged with the Niche.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post

I've not seen any discussion to this effect. My experience is that the typical flat vs. conical differences are unchanged with the Niche.
              level3ninja

Have you tested these grinders ?
              The Atom / Olympus /Niche Vs. other flat burr grinder ?

Can anyone tell me if the Olympus/ Atom will have the same result as the Mythos ? I have seen comments on other forums about favoring the taste of the Mythos over the Niche.
              and if I understand, the burrs’ geometry is the same.

would this be correct ?

thanks again

Comment

• level3ninja
                level3ninja commented
                Editing a comment
                I used to own an Atom 60mm (originally model), and now own a Niche. I've never used an Olympus or Mythos.

We've done some taste tests using a 64mm flat (Ceado E5SD) versus the Niche Zero. For a couple of blends and SOs we've tried the E5SD produced more sweetness and a cleaner finish. We've now parked both grinders in our staff area to do a longer-term test. Anyone who can drop by is welcome to participate!

charlie

Comment

Is there anything you can tell me about these grinders vs the Niche ? Especially taste wise ?

thanks.
                I hate to contradict Level3Ninja, whose opinions I respect, but I found a large taste difference between my flat burr Macap M4 and the Niche Zero. In particular on the medium to medium-dark roasts we favour. Both my wife and I noticed it, so it wasn't just my mutant taste buds. We did back-to-back tests and the results were obvious to us each time. Maybe we got a dud Niche or something...?

How that translates to an Atom or Olympus 75 I can't say.

I found this video helpful and also correlates with what we found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n806...ealSprometheus

Comment

• saeco_user
                  saeco_user commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In Level3Ninja's defence he didn't say there was no difference, he said the difference was typical of that between other Conical and Flat burr grinders.

• Barry O'Speedwagon
                  Barry O'Speedwagon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I suspect it's a personal preference (or at least partly so). I own an M4D and a Niche, and for most beans and most drinks prefer the Niche. I do, however, use a different grind fineness across these two, and a different technique on the Cremina. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
                  Last edited by Barry O'Speedwagon; 1 week ago.

• JetBlack_Espresso
                  >JetBlack_Espresso commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree Barry that personal preference comes into it. However the M4D is not my favourite flat burr grinder as far as flavour profiles go so you're not alone there.

charlie

Originally posted by splashalot View Post

I hate to contradict Level3Ninja, whose opinions I respect, but I found a large taste difference between my flat burr Macap M4 and the Niche Zero. In particular on the medium to medium-dark roasts we favour. Both my wife and I noticed it, so it wasn't just my mutant taste buds. We did back-to-back tests and the results were obvious to us each time. Maybe we got a dud Niche or something...?

How that translates to an Atom or Olympus 75 I can't say.

I found this video helpful and also correlates with what we found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n806...ealSprometheus
                I’m not sure I understand, you said that you might have gotten a dud niche - which I assume is a bad thing, and I assumed you liked your Macap M4 better.
                Then I saw the video you posted of S Prometheus which is saying the Niche gives him more flavors than the flat one.

So what are you saying ? Is the Niche better than the Macap in your opinion or the opposite ?

Comment

level3ninja just to make it more clear - do you prefer the flavor coming out of the Niche or some other flat burr grinder ?

Comment

• level3ninja
                    level3ninja commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Personally I'm a flat burr guy, but the price and features of the Niche were too good not to try out. I regularly switch up beans and brew methods and the Niche makes that a breeze. I think if I do ever upgrade my grinder again it'll probably only be once more to something that is the flat burr equivalent of the Niche (e.g. Lagom P64)

Originally posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
                  We've done some taste tests using a 64mm flat (Ceado E5SD) versus the Niche Zero. For a couple of blends and SOs we've tried the E5SD produced more sweetness and a cleaner finish. We've now parked both grinders in our staff area to do a longer-term test. Anyone who can drop by is welcome to participate!

charlie
                  By saying “more sweetness and cleaner finish” - I guess you mean you liked those shots better ? what about acidity perception and pronounced flavors?

Just trying to get more clear observations from all of you guys

Thanks.

Comment

• JetBlack_Espresso
                    >JetBlack_Espresso commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes the shots from the Ceado E5SD tasted better (in the opinions of the tasters) for the coffees we put through both grinders - medium roast for this latest test. Balanced, some sweetness but also some nice acidity. The Niche seemed to emphasise the acidity so that the shots tasted a little sour.

So what are you saying ? Is the Niche better than the Macap in your opinion or the opposite ?
                  Now I've re-read my post I see what you mean. I wasn't clear. I'm saying we preferred the flavour from the Macap's flat burrs over the Niche's conical burrs. I found the flat burrs produce more body and rich, chocolate flavours in the medium to medium/dark roasts, which is what we like. By comparison the Niche's shots were more bitter with less body on the same medium to medium-dark roasts.

Edit: And apologies to Level3Ninja - I completely misread your post. My error :-)

Comment

There are some good models to choose from in 64mm flat burr. The Ceado mentioned above, the ECM /Profitec 64 group ( automatik, Titan, T64), and probably others. I bought a Profitec T64 pro, and use one of the preset timer buttons to purge stale grinds ( not my idea , i just liked it). About 2 seconds works well - retention is not as low as the dedicated single dose machines. I would have loved to have looked at a Eureka 75 mm flat burr, but at the time I couldn't find one in Australia. Sorry if this is a bit sidetracking from your original post.Good luck with your hunt.

Comment

Took the plunge and purchased a new Olympus 75E with the blow up hopper.
                      It’s a bit huge, has some retention that needs “blowing up”
                      But,,, the taste is so much better than the Niche.
                      Couldn’t be happier with my choice

Comment

Working...
                      X