Atom 60E Design and ACE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atom 60E Design and ACE

Has anybody tried removing this stupid piece of metal?

It seems to me it kind of maybe solves one issue with clumping or tries to. This metal helps compress the grind and results in uneven dosing. It is flimsy and moves in the grind path, bending outwards. I think it results in a type of pulsing grind which means I can get 13 to 17 grams on the same timer setting. It is merely annoying as I am weighing my shots now so it just means I time under then manually top it off, which I can live with.

I'm seriously thinking of just removing it. I will probably remove it the next time I clean it and see what happens. I am interested in other people who have tried before me, just what results they have got.

The design of the Atom leaves a lot to be desired with lots of plastic, a long exit chute and it requires several different tools to dissemble and reassemble.

In comparison to my Robur which requires no tools to do the same job...and it probably doesn't retain any more than the Atom.

The more I look at this, the less happy I am with their overall design. Fiddly and plasticky.

This post warns against removing the clump crusher.

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...407#post653407

I find that it you keep 150g or more coffee in the hopper, the dosing will be consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by lancruiser View Post
      This post warns against removing the clump crusher.

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...407#post653407

I find that it you keep 150g or more coffee in the hopper, the dosing will be consistent.
      I would say the amount in the hopper doesn't help, not so far and the hopper has quite a bit of coffee in it. I can try more.

The plastic chute attracts static and the exit aperture is quite small. I have blocked my Atom once already.

Thank you for the reference though.

Comment

There’s a video on YouTube where a coffee equipment supply company ran some tests to check retention in the Eureka range. Essentially as the grinders got bigger they retained more. I think there was a reference to other brands as a comparison and they talked about other issues like static. Was quite well done.

Comment

Originally posted by wattgn View Post

I would say the amount in the hopper doesn't help, not so far and the hopper has quite a bit of coffee in it. I can try more.

The plastic chute attracts static and the exit aperture is quite small. I have blocked my Atom once already.
          I don't have the experience. How old is your grinder? Eureka has made some improvements over the years including a new chute design.

Comment

It is brand new. I have had it since the start of the year although I still used the Robur for much of that time.

The retention videos mean very little except in a cafe scenario. The reason is that the shots can be many hours apart. I suppose too, for testing they always fill the hopper right up. The hopper depth always affects the dosing and grind at the same time. The grind speed also increases with hopper depth so when they tell you how fast it can grind, it is always with a full hopper.

I’ve filled the hopper to the max now and will see what happens. It isn’t a showstopper, just means I do it manually.

Comment

I have pulled a few shots. Same variance. The grind is quite OK and stable, not clumping not static and produces a nice shot.

It is slightly disappointing. I did have the Mignon Specialita and I think that was much much better for even dosing and could do single dosing. It may have been a mistake in some ways to trade it although I lost practically nothing when I sold it. The Atom is more robust and I like the menu layout and operation better.

I think for most home users though, I'd recommend the Eureka Mignon Specialita, given my experience with both. The Atom though is still an excellent grinder it just requires manual dosing.

I think if I got another grinder though I would go for the Mazzer Mini E Type A. It is just a better and more simple, robust design, even if it is slower. I don't see slowness though as a big issue, not for home use.

I had to use a special tool for the screws on the outer case and the hopper, two different sizes of philips heads and an Allen key to strip it and clean it. I don't think it is great design although it does work. They should have just had a very short chute and made simple maintenance a priority and I don't think they have. Mazzer is criticised by some for having to remove the top burr for cleaning but the overall design is so much simpler and IMHO BETTER!

Comment

• crazyhakins
                crazyhakins commented
                Editing a comment
                IMO, all the issues you have described are solved by coming to terms with purging before grinding a shot. I roast at home and green beans are cheap as so purging is no big deal for me. That small concession I'm perfectly fine with knowing the Atom is a solid performer delivering consistent results. I also think it looks awesome, which for me is a big deal.
                I personally don't find the disassembly for cleaning to be a big chore. I've got used to the workflow. If I was doing it weekly it might annoy me but that's really not necessary.

• wattgn
                wattgn commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair enough. I don't purge and never have on any grinder I have owned. I don't think manually dosing is too big a price to pay anyway but there are better designs out there such as the Eureka Mignon Specialita where they have dealt with this issue effectively.

I have never owned the Mini but it looks sensibly designed. Mind you the best way to find out and maybe the only way to be sure is to own one...not sure I will do that, not for some time.

Every design has some limitations.

Edit: I should point out I have a VST basket and I'm dosing at 15 grams. It is probably more picky at this level due to the fineness of the grind needed. I am happy though with the grinding performance.
                Last edited by wattgn; 1 week ago. Reason: additions

I would skip the Mazzer MiniE and get a Super Jolly E. They’re still relatively small, especially if you get the small hopper and are way better value. The digital functionality is the same and the grind is better quality, and its faster. Although I agree speed doesn’t matter much in a domestic setting except that it’s a bit less time making noise.

Comment

• roosterben
                roosterben commented
                Editing a comment
                Or you can just install Super Jolly blades in the Mini.

My Mazzer mini type A grinds 18gm in 22sec.

It is noisy but it's a low growl rather than a ear shattering screech.

I've come to the mini late after a number of other options and while I initially thought of it as a stop gap I have no plans to sell it.

Cheers
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by SanderP View Post
                My Mazzer mini type A grinds 18gm in 22sec.

It is noisy but it's a low growl rather than a ear shattering screech.

I've come to the mini late after a number of other options and while I initially thought of it as a stop gap I have no plans to sell it.

Cheers
                ​​​​​​
                Good move keeping it I think. It is a timeless design and works for you.

Putting Jolly blades in a Mini by the way is an almost universally panned idea. Don’t do it. The Mazzer is designed to work slowly and the 250 Watt motor is fine for the burrs it has.

Comment

• roosterben
                  roosterben commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Err no, plenty of people of threads about it on home-barista improves speed and taste/particle distribution by all reports.

A Mini is designed with the burrs it has and it has 64mm burrs and a 250W motor. For comparison my Atom has 60mm burrs but a 400W motor. There are reasons the burrs are designed the way they are so it will make the grinder more prone to bogging down especially with finer or highly roasted grinds. It also presumes that there is a problem needing to be solved...I don't think there is, the speed is fine. Finally I think the effects on size distribution, quality are difficult to impossible to prove. The advantage does exist in the mind of the user that is 100% proved.

There are plenty of cases it seems where people have no problems and some that do...overall an unsafe recommendation.

On the other hand, it isn't a big deal if someone wants to experiment but I think pointless. Get a Super Jolly if that is what you want, it has Super Jolly burrs in it....with a 350W motor.
                Last edited by wattgn; 1 week ago.

Comment

I think crazyhakins may be right. It seems unless you do two shots in succession the grinder needs purging. I have never been a fan of purging but if you want reproducible weights, it seems to be necessary. I am not sure why as the variance is huge.

The amount I purge is tiny but it might be a good idea. I thought I knew everything...still can't explain it.

Comment

• crazyhakins
                    crazyhakins commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I first got the Atom I played with the timed dosing a lot. I could never rely on it to deliver exactly what I wanted into the portafilter, and in a way with the number of shots I do a day it’s an unreasonable expectation anyway. I just use the timer to get close, and then use scales to get me the rest of the way there.

I have seen people comment on the design of the hopper, that it doesn’t allow gravity to feed beans into the grinder consistently. I don’t know, but it could be a factor in the variance.

When I first got the Atom I played with the timed dosing a lot. I could never rely on it to deliver exactly what I wanted into the portafilter, and in a way with the number of shots I do a day it’s an unreasonable expectation anyway. I just use the timer to get close, and then use scales to get me the rest of the way there.

I have seen people comment on the design of the hopper, that it doesn’t allow gravity to feed beans into the grinder consistently. I don’t know, but it could be a factor in the variance.
                  I have the 300g round hopper but I think the dosing is much the same with that.

I got the Atom early this year then after a few months switched back to the Robur, which I have now sold, so getting back into learning about its eccentric ways. I guess all machines have their problems and peculiarities, it is a matter of adapting to the machine, else getting yet another one.

I think that the Mignon Specialita is undoubtedly better for consistent dosing, courtesy of less retained grounds and a shorter grind path. It can also one dose grind and I have done this successfully as it doesn't popcorn the beans.

Is it worth buying the Specialita...again. Probably not. I do like the Atom better in many ways.

It definitely does the job and is very quiet. I found purging a bit does seem to give more consistency in dosing but as you say, maybe not worry too much and top up manually as needed.

Comment

I have now spent several weeks on the Atom, now that the Robur is gone.

I think some of my initial criticism of the design is probably unfair. Comparing this almost silent grinder to a standard grinder is not fair. It must have a casing and soundproofing plus a spring mounted motor to get this kind of smoothness and quietness. The downside is, yup, more complex and more tools needed to take it apart.

The dosing has been sorted and I think it is true that it does need a very small purge. I do two blips on manual and it seems to keep the dosing accurate. I also am using the standard hopper and I keep it filled about half way, above the cone.

Overall a nice grinder that delivers a nice clump-free grind and does it quietly.

Comment

Working...
                    X