Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a grinder

OK,
    Another newbie and another recommendation thread, but everyone's different right ?

So I'm new to this, and I'm looking for a grinder to pair with my likely new Oscarr II (but that's a whole other thread)

Needs and Desires
    • It will only be used to grind for espresso
    • Ideally we can fill it up first thing in the morning with about 8 coffee's worth of beans
    • Not really looking at the scale based systems, but I would like a good timer.
    • Preference is doserless and low retention, but it is what it is
    • Slight preference to conical burr's, but I won't turn my nose up at flat.
    • Simple setup that my wife would use.

Current Thoughts
    While I like the Niche Zero, there's no way my wife's going to weigh beans, and similar grinders although beautiful to behold, are out of my (approved) price range.

I like the Baratza Sette's, but am leaning more towards either the Eureka Mignon Silenzio or Specialita. It look's like the specialita would suit my needs better, but I generally prefer less 'gadgety', and know it would be easier to fix or play with the silenzio if it ever came to that.

I am new to all of this, but I am trying to do things right, so come at me and let me know what i've missed, or if there's other questions I should be asking.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

As a few folks have said before you can always weigh out the beans in advance once you have dialled in your prefered dose.
    I have some lovely little jars that cost $1 each at the reject shop.
    I upgraded to a Silenzio earlier this year and I’m very happy with it.
    Very little retention, great grind and simple.
    Currently using it on a Gaggia classic.
    I like the Niche but I think I will go straight to a Lagom 64 eventually.
    I need to wait until my new Bianca arrives and drifts through the bank account.

Comment

• Jeremy80
      Jeremy80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by amberale View Post
      As a few folks have said before you can always weigh out the beans in advance once you have dialled in your prefered dose.
      Not a bad idea, and would suit us both I think.

Originally posted by amberale View Post
      I like the Niche but I think I will go straight to a Lagom 64 eventually.
      I'm not really a fan of the Eureka looks, but the Lagom is something I'd love to have in my kitchen, just a little outside of the current budget, but there's always round two of upgraditis 🤔

​

+1 the Eureka grinders, they have a higher build quality, there have been a few reports of Sette's with busted plastic internal belts/gearboxes and support is Australia is not the same as you get in the US from Baratza.

Comment

I've just recently upgraded to the Eureka Specialita - no complaints so far; quiet and low retention. I single does, but the timer function works pretty well from what I can see. I tried it when I was dialing in to expresso range. The silenzio looks good - i think essentially the same machine, but with smaller burrs and no digital display. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but from I have seen online, it looks pretty straightforward.

Comment

What's your budget?

Comment

• Jeremy80
          Jeremy80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Comfortable up to $1,000, I'd push it to $1,500 for the Nice, or Lagom if you've got one you'd like to gift me ? but that's probably about my limit.

• flynnaus
          flynnaus commented
          Editing a comment
          Christmas is approaching but, sorry, my generosity doesn't extend that far  
          I recently went grinder shopping and settled on a Ceado E37J. It's a fantastic grinder with excellent results in the cup; better overall than my old Macap conical. A bit outside your budget but you can get the E6P (same burrset as the E37J) for $1500 or E5P model for $1200 .

I've been looking at grinders recently as well (need to upgrade my Smart Grinder Pro at some stage).

After reading countless threads and watching numerous videos, for around $1K new it appears the two picks of the bunch are either the Specialita or the Niche. With you ruling out the Niche, the Specialita might be the go. It has slightly bigger burrs than the Silenzio as well. It's a shame we don't get all the pretty colours they get in Italy (I'd love a yellow or red one).

Eureka have the XL version coming out at some stage (it's on their website) with 65mm burrs...but no idea how much that'll be locally.

Comment

• Jeremy80
          Jeremy80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Tronn View Post
          Eureka have the XL version coming out at some stage (it's on their website) with 65mm burrs...but no idea how much that'll be locally.
          I did see those, but my preference is definitely to buy locally if I can.

I've also been looking for to long, and keep going around in circles with the various options, so I think it's time to just put my money down and live with what I can get.

+1 for Eureka Specialita.

Eureka Mignon XL mentioned before looks like slightly upgraded version of Specialita: same look and controls, same footprint, almost the same motor power, slightly heavier.
        But 65mm burr (vs 55 in Specialata), Extremely Low Retention system" (Eureka claims ~0.2g) and (this is big!!!) portafiler fork got a piece of rubber glued on top.

Eureka published a "trailer" on Youtube in October 2020.

It might take long time before we can see it in Australia.

Comment

I got the Specialita twice!

The Atom between.

It is perfect for home use and can single dose without popcorning. A lot of work went into the design.

Comment

Just been through the process and ended up with a Compak K3 Touch Advanced for $580. Very happy with it. 58mm burrs, quiet and retention appears OK after first couple of weeks. Preferred its looks and burr size over Eureka models.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBy View Post
              Just been through the process and ended up with a Compak K3 Touch Advanced for $580. Very happy with it. 58mm burrs, quiet and retention appears OK after first couple of weeks. Preferred its looks and burr size over Eureka models.
              The burr size difference is not consequential but looks are personal. One thing for sure it is several hundred dollars cheaper and I'm sure it is a great machine. Any of this class of grinder will do a first class job of grinding. The other stuff such as grind retention and dosing accuracy are nice to have and are honestly hard to evaluate. It might take some time to bed in. I always measure the weight of shots and measure the dose time carefully. It would recommend that the first few months until you get a feel for how well it doses.

One thing for sure it will last your lifetime if you don't get upgradeitis!

Comment

Working...
              X