Titus Grinding Unveils The Nautilus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titus Grinding Unveils The Nautilus

Perhaps this will be the next must have for those on the perfect grinder treadmill.?
    https://dailycoffeenews.com/2020/11/...b1679-75993825

Wow talk about raising the price ceiling, damn! 10-12k AUD by the time it hits our shores but looks like a beast!

Comment

This must be right at the far end of the law of diminishing returns.

Surely there is a limit to what can actually be perceived in the cup?

It's a thing of beauty but I'm calling it more of a status symbol than anything else.

Cheers

Comment

• flynnaus
        flynnaus commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point.
        There is a subjective characteristic that i imagine has a marketing term for it: the idea that you have the best available because you've spent a shedload of money on it.

• Wimbledon
        Wimbledon commented
        Editing a comment
        flynnaus you might be referring to a Veblen good. A luxury good where as the price gets higher, demand increases because of perceived status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

• flynnaus
        flynnaus commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers Wimbledon. That term doesn't ring any bells for me but I'll tuck it away in my memory bank. Another term I noted in your link 'conspicuous consumption' (also coined by Veblen) does also sound apt.

Mal mentioned the other day the similarity Coffee Snobs have to Audiophiles when it comes to technology, I tend to agree with him.

Some of us are always on the look out for the very latest.

Check out the prices on some these turntables.?

https://www.whathifi.com/au/features...ive-turntables

Comment

• Dimal
        Dimal commented
        Editing a comment
        The finished weight depends on which option the purchaser chooses and for the ultimate, that 325Kg number is correct.

• flynnaus
        flynnaus commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, just noticed the La Platine Magnum "weighs a colossal 400kg thanks to a base made of granite."
        That's virging on the you've got to be kidding and almost requires a crane to install it.

• amberale
        amberale commented
        Editing a comment
        One of my mates is an audiophile.
        They are the most anal fanatics I know.
        When he finally accepted CDs for some recordings he bought a machine that chamfers the edge of the discs to minimise reflections from the disc inside the player.
        He has a listening room bigger than most lounge rooms, eggshell style wall coverings, $20k plus speakers, concrete on concrete base for his turntable with dimensions calculated to cancel out unwanted vibrations, cables that are as big as the ones that connect the space shuttle to the launch pad(but gold plated) and then he sits on the couch in total darkness to listen to music.
        Not my scene but it floats his boat.

Apparently it's so high end it can't all be in focus in a single shot

Comment

flynnaus I think it's called confirmation bias. Arguably the more you're emotionally / financially invested the stronger the bias.

Cheers

Comment

Hmm, well if money was/is no object...... I’d also have a full time barista on staff to cater for my every coffee whim. Oh and a second Nautilus for decaf duties of course

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            Mal mentioned the other day the similarity Coffee Snobs have to Audiophiles when it comes to technology, I tend to agree with him. Some of us are always on the look out for the very latest. Check out the prices on some these turntables.? https://www.whathifi.com/au/features...ive-turntables
            I have a Transrotor, so I guess it’s true for me! It wasn’t quite as pricey as the model in the article though

Comment

I don’t buy into the hating on uber expensive items.
              Sure I either can’t afford most of them or can’t justify to myself my need for them.
              However I think a world without the beauty and technical excellence of (for example) Ferraris, Concord, Faberge Eggs and Champagne would be a much meaner place and for that alone, I am happy that there are people who can appreciate and afford them or they would not exist.

Comment

• amberale
                amberale commented
                Editing a comment

That’s Hating on like the young folks say.
                https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...r6QgkqXbticYc4

• flynnaus
                flynnaus commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I'm not that old that I don't understand the nuanced meaning of hater. It's not about envy. Even if I had the means to easily afford top shelf hifi components, I couldn't justify buying any. My poor hearing is partly the reason.
                Last edited by flynnaus; 1 week ago.

• amberale
                amberale commented
                Editing a comment
                WHAT?
                I resemble that remark.
                I think it is from standing under the stacks at the edge of the stage.
                I am that old, I had to go to urban dictionary to double check.
                Probably means its passe now.

roosterben Where are you seeing 10-12k landed? Says at the bottom of the article “The base price for a Nautilus grinder with anodized silver or black finish is €2990 (approximately $3,545 USD)” which is basically the same price as an eg1. So around 6k+ landed. Still, a lot of cash.
              Last edited by aants; 1 week ago.

Comment

• roosterben
                roosterben commented
                Editing a comment
                I read the Nickel plated price higher up didn't realise the base price was lower by almost 3,000 euros. The base models are similar to EK43 in price I guess and likely to have much better alignment.

• prh
                prh commented
                Editing a comment
                3000 euros for nickel plating...

Jeez aants now I'm going to have to retract everything I said

Comment

Working...
              X