Mahlkonig vario burr adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahlkonig vario burr adjustment

I have brought a second hard Mahlkonig Vario and received it today and when testing was grinding at one on the right macro slide and c on the left micro slide and was still not fine enough.

I have played with the adjustment screw( front one in hole not the one behind the grommet) and I think I have it fine enough now (visual check only against grinds from old grinder) but it seems to be labouring a bit. Just looking for some good info about getting it set right. Have watched a few vids amd seen some write ups but it seems to have been set around where they said it should be. Don't want to set it too fine and break it.

Thanks Ed

The Vario lever adjustments can get really out of whack if you adjust finer without the grinder running.

I’m not saying you did that, but it would be any easy explanation and fix.

the mechanisms also break, but can be easily replaced

Comment

I only got today so may hap they have been moved. What would be the fix? Is worth doing just to rule it out.

Comment

The best video on YouTube that shows how to adjust the Vario is the one by Baratza. The Baratza Vario works the same so the instructions in the video can be applied directly to the Mahlkonig.

Comment

https://youtu.be/lUuhzJO29pU

Comment

I did see that one and tried to do. In the video the burrs touching is very distinctive but mine didnt seem so and was hard to tell. Will try again this afternoon after work.

Comment

Originally posted by eddy79 View Post
              I did see that one and tried to do. In the video the burrs touching is very distinctive but mine didnt seem so and was hard to tell. Will try again this afternoon after work.
              That because the Baratza Vario has steel burrs whereas yours will have ceramic. The sound is quite different but the principle is the same - listen for the change in tone/sound.

Comment

That helps to know. Will back it off and start over again.

Comment

Got it this time. Set as per video at 2q. Dialed it in with some beans at 2g for the same dose/tamp etc on my machine. Cheers for the help

Comment

• cscs
                    cscs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Eddy,

i watched the calibration burr video and both the burrs are already touching at 2q point, so was just thinking if you dialed in the beans at 2g point ( which is even finer ) , wouldn't that means the burrs will be touching even more at 2g point ? ta.

That sounds about right.

Comment

Cscs yes that is finer than the touch point so they would be touching more. Did more playing today and is back a bit coarser at 2L. I dont know if its an issue being that fine but if that's where it needs to be for it to grind fine enough not sure what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by eddy79 View Post
                      Cscs yes that is finer than the touch point so they would be touching more. Did more playing today and is back a bit coarser at 2L. I dont know if its an issue being that fine but if that's where it needs to be for it to grind fine enough not sure what to do.
                      It does seem weird, but it’s how this grinder works. The burr set up means that they’ll never touch while grinding coffee so you need not worry.

Comment

• eddy79
                        eddy79 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That does make me feel better about it. Thanks

cool i wonder is because when it is grinding, beans fall between the two burrs and push them apart so they don't touch : )

Comment

Working...
                      X