Anyone have experience with a Heycafe H1 grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMcCee View Post

.....I actually had a line on a Niche Zero for a good price but in the end baulked having a grinder on the bench that looks like a cross-dressing Harvey Norman $39.99 popcorn maker. And wearing clogs!
    Ha! This made me smile. Personally, I think the Niche looks like Fischer Price's take on a wilted eggplant.

But then again, my grinder looks like a microscope. Sometimes I can't decide whether to pour beans into it or look into the funnel.

Comment

Fischer Price LOL! I'll see what the response is if I bring home a HC1. Thing only thing I have problem with it seems a bit light at 6.5kg.

Comment

The Micocasa has a new friend.

A little background. We sold all the big machines. We are doing a modest kitchen make-over so decided to move on all the big machines and start again. The E61 two group went a few weeks ago and the Gaggia Tell went to a restaurant in Malaysia. My mate got the Lambro and the AF DE1 is under a pile of junk in the shed.

I bought a single group Belle Epoch for when the kitchen is finished and to use in the meantime but forgot all the plumbing and leads come out the bottom and down through a hole in the (now nonexistent) bench. Doh! After the E61 went my wife smacked me on the back of the head and demanded to know where her morning coffees are coming from. Uh-oh!

Off we went to one of the biggest coffee machine retailers in Melbourne as they sell Elektra Levas so yeah, problem will be solved. Umm, no. Bunch of product ignorant, over-priced snotty wankers so we left empty handed.

It was getting late so I topped the wife's caffeine up, dropped her at home and crawled into town down the Monash in peak hour and purchased a Leva at a place in Southbank as I couldn't find a CS sponsor in Melbourne to sell me one that day. The deal with wife was if I got a machine that day and she didn't have to go without her home lattes next morning I could spend money on the Jag to finish it off. No contest!

What's all this got to do with the H1 grinder you ask?

Nothing. Just thought I'd bore the living suitcases out of you.

In the few hours the grinder has been here impressions are very favorable.. More to come..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210222_161120_resized_20210222_070551448.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	858303

Comment

• Grumpybarista
          Grumpybarista commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the H1!

Originally posted by JMcCee View Post
        The Micocasa has a new friend.

Off we went to one of the biggest coffee machine retailers in Melbourne as they sell Elektra Levas so yeah, problem will be solved. Umm, no. Bunch of product ignorant, over-priced snotty wankers so we left empty handed.

It was getting late so I topped the wife's caffeine up, dropped her at home and crawled into town down the Monash in peak hour and purchased a Leva at a place in Southbank as I couldn't find a CS sponsor in Melbourne to sell me one that day. The deal with wife was if I got a machine that day and she didn't have to go without her home lattes next morning I could spend money on the Jag to finish it off. No contest!

Name:	IMG_20210222_161120_resized_20210222_070551448.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	858303
        I'm not sure your wife won anything from that deal. You got a new machine, new grinder, and the approval to complete the Jag!!! I think I need to talk to you about how to accomplish such a feat!!!

Comment

Actually, the grinder doesn't look that bad alongside a machine. It's starting to grow on me.

Comment

Certainly much better in black. Here it is paired with our new black Eagle Prima 1

Cheers
            Antony
            Www.casaespresso.com.au
            Attached Files

Comment

• PeterW
              PeterW commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks awesome!

Originally posted by dimmy View Post

I'm not sure your wife won anything from that deal. You got a new machine, new grinder, and the approval to complete the Jag!!! I think I need to talk to you about how to accomplish such a feat!!!
            It's what I don't know is being spent elsewhere is the kicker..

Comment

Originally posted by Casa Espresso View Post
              Certainly much better in black. Here it is paired with our new black Eagle Prima 1

Cheers
              Antony
              Www.casaespresso.com.au
              Show off..

Comment

Sorry it’s taken so long for a report but my wife bought a heap of stuff at an auction in Adelaide without realizing the borders were still closed so It’s been a battle organizing pick up. Open again Friday morning apparently so all is good.

Monday night. After spending 3 minutes unpacking and an hour setting up and admiring the neat little tool kit, I gave it a kick in the guts and away we went. I like it. For a change I just want a grinder that is fast, quiet and without the weighing, dampening and separate dosing vessels and it certainly fits the bill there.

My limited experience with grinders is with a massive Faema MPN which looked like an apartment block, a Mazza Mini, a Rocky and the HG1 which I have been using solidly for years but I’m tiring of the routine.

It took a while to set up the H1 because I like to triple check everything and make sure everything is in order and all things work as they should. The removable tray sits on an ingenious dual sliding carriage which is also the portafilter rest. A bit fiddly to change necessitating the loosening of three screws either side especially if one is changing between different size portafilters or often going from espresso to drip and back but if it’s mainly set for the one function it’s fine. The removable tray is for resting a dosing cup. It also very neatly accommodates small scales if that’s your thing

I did initially find the sliding up and down was very stiff and graunchy but after easy dismantling and a smear of food grade grease on the rails it works fine.
                The tiny Microcasa portafilter requires the device to be a fair way up but there is still plenty of room. That’s another thing I like. Because of the small portafilter, if you lock it in hands free then the fines need to be knocked down half way through the grind otherwise there is a bit of splatter. There is a separate button on the top left which is for bags but if you hold the PF out a little and use that button instead of the one behind the rest it is a single process. Bliss!

There is no clumping. And is it my imagination or does the flat burrs grind fluffier than the conical?

Next, we’ll talk about grind retention and other stuff. Stay tuned.

That’s all for now. I have to have a lie down and an Endone after the latest Jag bill. :-0

Have a squiz at this video in the meantime..

HeyCafe H1 Coffee Grinder Overview - YouTube

Name:	IMG_20210222_170702_resized_20210222_070624811.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	858515

Name:	IMG_20210222_170850_resized_20210222_070624674.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	858514

Attached Files

Comment

• Dimal
                  Dimal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  is it my imagination or does the flat burrs grind fluffier than the conical?
                  No, you're not imagining things. Because Flat Burrs rotate at up to five times the speed of Conical Burrs this, seems create extra fluffiness...

Curious how quiet it is. Or isn't.

Comment

Not as quiet as the HG-1.

Edit: actually, the HG-1 is not all that quiet.

Comment

Whilst preparing our first fix for the day I had another listen. It's been a while but when I was last at Casa Espresso I seem to remember the Atom as being a little quieter but being a belt drive grinder the H1 is certainly not noisy noisy.

Comment

Today after our first two-shot vein starters I cleaned the burr chamber and dispenser cavity out and did a single grind. There was 1.3 gram retention.

Also, I should mention the presence of the little soft nylon like flap that inserts over the mouth of the dispensing chute. I left it out to see what happens and without it the grinds shoot out at 3 o'clock and inserted the grinds come out at 6 o'clock ie, centre front, ideal for portafilters.

Comment

A belated thank you to Antony at Casa Espresso for supplying me with the Hey Cafe H1. Always a fun and friendly visit and looking forward to returning to look at all the shiny toys.

Comment

Working...
                        X