G-IOTA / DF64 Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-IOTA / DF64 Grinder

I couldn't find a topic on this grinder. If I've overlooked it my apologies.

I noticed in James Hoffman's latest YouTube video he mentions that he'll be doing a review of this grinder soon. There is a thread over on Home Barista Forum about it, and it appears to be a reasonably priced 64mm flat burr single dose grinder. Comes standard with Italmill burrs, but can be upgraded with SSP burrs too. At 399 Euro (around AU$650) it might be a real competitor to the Niche if it's any good.

I don't really have a horse in this race as I prefer my on-demand grinders, but I know alot of folks prefer to single dose.

Here's a video I found (appears to be a marketing video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRvrQsl_tJ4

Dave Corby is the only one that I’ve seen putting out any info on this grinder yet while he conducts some beta testing. It does look interesting.

Comment

I reckon it looks a lot like a Lagom, not as pretty but same concept.

Comment

Should give the Niche a damn good (and well-deserved) shakeup

Comment

• amberale
          amberale commented
          Editing a comment
          What?
          Do you mean actually provide stock?

• Caffeinator
          Caffeinator commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. So over their bullsh!t. Marketing strategy is amateurish at best.

Are they too tight to even add an e-com plugin to their own website? Indiegogo should have kicked them out long ago.

• Barry O'Speedwagon
          Barry O'Speedwagon commented
          Editing a comment
          To be fair to the chaps from Niche, they have a demand for their product that far outstrips their ability to supply it at the moment. At least they haven't opportunistically jacked the direct to consumer price up by an extortionate amount (at all?). They're probably not too concerned about the effectiveness of their marketing at present.

Interesting......

Comment

If you search Google for "Solo 64mm ELR Grinder Review" (include the quotation marks) and click on the first link you'll find a link to the DC review.

Comment

There's a few threads about this grinder on Reddit, everyone that has brought one seems to be very satisfied with it.

There is also one user on there who had a niche zero arrive at the same time as this grinder and is going to post a direct comparison at some point which will be very interesting!

Comment

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordp...rinder-review/

DaveC's review for those interested

Comment

This company Feilai also make a grind by weight model - the Zf64w, and a model that looks like a specialita knock off. I'm really looking forward to hopefully seeing some more reviews of these grinders come out and would love to see an Australian distributor because these grinders appear to have some seriously good features at a reasonable price

Comment

Coffee-tech nz is the exclusive distributor for this product.

Comment

Originally posted by katsuya View Post
                    Coffee-tech nz is the exclusive distributor for this product.
                    I've ordered one from coffee tech last night after that reply, and it is now in Transit by DHL express, eta to arrive in Brisbane on the 9/4.

Comment

338 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it

I don't want to sound like a hater but from the looks of it the hype is generated from European niche price increases pushing the grinder out of the affordable price range rather than it being a compelling rival to the niche. The plastic body and slight tilt is all that seperates it from any other 64mm flat burr grinder. The grind adjustment mechanism still doesn't lend itself to being a versatile grinder. The pricing would have to be much lower imo to push people off of the comparable flat burr grinders.

Comment

• Caffeinator
                      Caffeinator commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The EUR399 price was including VAT, it was EUR339 without...so ~AU$650 should be a very realistic price.

Edit: Just noticed that Katsuya ordered one from the NZ distributor above for NZ$699....so AU$650 seems to be on the money.
                      For locally supplied gear it would be dependent on whether an importer/reseller is appointed or whether a sole importer is appointed and then distributes to resellers. The former works well in NZ with relatively small populations and distances. On the other hand, if you have an importer on the East coast and a client on the West coast, the purchaser may prefer local service and support.

• roosterben
                      roosterben commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What comparable 64mm grinders are you talking about? Most are north of 1k and don't get a great wrap eg Rocket Fausto/ECM Titan and the like, apart from Euerka Atom Specialta with pretty low retention you are looking at Mazzer Mini E and Super Jolly E. There is also the new (at least to Aussie market Ceado range which do get good feedback from alot of owners).

If this grinder does get retailed here it will prob hit $800 odd and as a pretty decent single dose would still be excellent value. I can see it having a cult following.

• katsuya
                      katsuya commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For locally supplied gear it would be dependent on whether an importer/reseller is appointed or whether a sole importer is appointed and then distributes to resellers. The former works well in NZ with relatively small populations and distances. On the other hand, if you have an importer on the East coast and a client on the West coast, the purchaser may prefer local service and support.
                      I've contacted Feilai and they told me that coffee-tech is the exclusive distributor for this grinder in AUNZ region. That's why I just simply ordered it. I believe once James Hoffman's video goes online next couple of days, this grinder will go up in price real soon.

Originally posted by katsuya View Post

I've ordered one from coffee tech last night after that reply, and it is now in Transit by DHL express, eta to arrive in Brisbane on the 9/4.
                    Nice, very much looking forward to hearing what you think about it, and what sort of service and warranty you get from coffee tech NZ

Comment

Package has arrived one day earlier, here are the photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SnXBC5MWCnGzHTKWA

Coffee do taste cleaner than my Baratza Forte, but a bit slower. Retention is so much better than Forte. The puff does work, but statics still contribute to all these coffee stuck on the wall. I may spray some water next time just to see if that helps with statics.

Comment

• Tronn
                        Tronn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wonder if the static will reduce once the burrs are seasoned.

Also I read in the HB thread that you need to use the bellows while the burrs are spinning.

• dimmy
                        dimmy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thats quite quick delivery!

If you don't use the bellows, do you know roughly how much of the grind is retained in the grinder?

Day 2 with DF64

I started with 18g of coffee, grind without using the bellows to show you how it functioned, I didn't spray any water. The grinder stops automatically at 30s. Basically, without using the bellows during grinding process, the grinder retained 1.2g of coffee between the burrs. I was able to get the rest of ground coffee out by turning on the grinder and use the bellows to blow all the retaining coffee out.

Therefore, the correct way of using this grinder is push the bellows while grinding, then you will get almost no retention.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nQaTNd4HMQDHWfwi9

Comment

Working...
                      X