Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand Grinder - Espresso only $1K budget ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might just be me, but I'm not sure I could live with a grinder named the knob, also, the marketing video is so American and cringy.

Keen on the reviews.

I've heard very little about the Lagom Remi, but many things point to it being good.

Comment

• lancruiser
      lancruiser commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Remi. Purchased it with 2 burrs: one for espresso, one for filter. The Remi was a replacement for a Hario which isn't a good grinder for anything. I have only use the conventional burrs so far. Grind particle size visually looks very consistent. Makes great V60 and Areopress. However, this is the only high end hand grinder I have used - so I am unable to compare it to any else. Ask me in 2 months time, I am expecting a P64 with SSP Brew Burrs (Unimodal v1).

• tompoland
      tompoland commented
      Editing a comment
      All true ... only a knob would call it a knob? I ordered despite the cringe-worthy hyped video.

lancruiser

Thanks for the share, would love a comparison for filter between the p64 and Remi so looking forward to it.

Comment

tompoland looking forward to hearing your thoughts once it arrives and thank you for your serviceto the community
      Last edited by yochiya; 2 September 2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

So I ordered a HG2 after looking into the alignment procedure in case need to fix anything myself after shipping. The fact that it has two gears is what sold me as hopefully that solves the issues seen on the HG1. If the Malwani was ready to ship now I would have given it a go instead but I'm not super keen on a multi month wait. I'll report back how it goes once it turns up.

Comment

• mthomas87
          mthomas87 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you'll really enjoy it. Weber Workshops just make nice things

• EldoradoGreen
          EldoradoGreen commented
          Editing a comment
          So excited to hear how this works for you. Such a beautiful object as well. Not like you need to buy one of those every year, is it? And that's got to be a good thing in the world of coffee... :-)

Originally posted by sleepydan View Post
        So I ordered a HG2 after looking into the alignment procedure in case need to fix anything myself after shipping. The fact that it has two gears is what sold me as hopefully that solves the issues seen on the HG1. If the Malwani was ready to ship now I would have given it a go instead but I'm not super keen on a multi month wait. I'll report back how it goes once it turns up.
        Awesome decision

Comment

I've been using the 1zpresso Jmax for the past week and am quite suprised by the result. The quality of grind for espresso is quite comparable to my Specialita. It's able to grind fine enough to do a long pre infusion via flow control . I didnt have much of an idea about hand gridners prior, so this was obviously a pleasant suprised.

Comment

HG-2 arrived this arvo.

Still dialling everything in but alignment seems pretty good as it only takes about 19 turns to grind 15 grams.

Love the workflow with the magic tumbler but it needs a bit of RDT or else I get a lot of static grinds stuck on the WDT wiper.

Plan on putting 2kg of parboiled rice through it tomorrow as I've read it may speed up the seasoning and help with the static.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_190201.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	881817

Comment

• yochiya
              yochiya commented
              Editing a comment
              Very cool, congratulations.

Not too sure about the rice idea...

• sleepydan
              sleepydan commented
              Editing a comment

It's parboiled so nowhere near as hard as raw rice so it should be okay (I hope)

It's actually mentioned on the Craig Lyn site from the Weber/Lyn days of the HG-1 - https://craiglyn.com/products/hg-1/hg-101/breaking-in/

Originally posted by tompoland View Post
            After 4yrs with a lido2, not sure I could relearn cranking it in the opposite direction.
            Does look good though

Comment

• tompoland
              tompoland commented
              Editing a comment
              Turn it upside down?

wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
              After 4yrs with a lido2, not sure I could relearn cranking it in the opposite direction. Does look good though
              Does the Lido 2 crank anti clockwise? I thought all these grinders cranked in the same direction due to all using the same type of burrs? I used to have a Lido E and it cranked clockwise like the Knob Grinder and all other hand grinders I’ve owned.

Comment

• EldoradoGreen
                EldoradoGreen commented
                Editing a comment
                I think maybe he means horizontal / vertical?

Put a kilo of parboiled rice through the HG-2 today and I now get 1 gram per turn when grinding within espresso range which I'm pretty stoked with. It's actually no slower then my old workflow when I factor in less time needed for WDT as my old grinder used to clump a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                Does the Lido 2 crank anti clockwise? I thought all these grinders cranked in the same direction due to all using the same type of burrs? I used to have a Lido E and it cranked clockwise like the Knob Grinder and all other hand grinders I’ve owned.
                I thought in the video the Knob was turning anti-clockwise. Lido is clockwise.. From memory, I think I got your old one Leroy

Comment

Hey sleepydan - how are you going with that HG-2? Still in the honeymoon? I gotta be honest, I've started thinking about one... or something close to it.
                  I got my La Pavoni Straidari a week ago... And I just realised you are using a La Pavoni... Is it a good match? Was it a worthwhile investment?

Comment

Originally posted by EldoradoGreen View Post
                    Hey sleepydan - how are you going with that HG-2? Still in the honeymoon? I gotta be honest, I've started thinking about one... or something close to it.
                    I got my La Pavoni Straidari a week ago... And I just realised you are using a La Pavoni... Is it a good match? Was it a worthwhile investment?
                    I've been loving it so far.

Took a while to get the workflow down but it's now actually faster then using my old electric grinder as I get way less clumps and WDT is only really needed to level off the bed a little sometimes.

The best trick I found was to take the feet off and stick it down with nano tape. Now that it's stuck to the bench I can grind with one hand.

Comment

• EldoradoGreen
                      EldoradoGreen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did it take long once you ordered it? Any issues with customs or delivery?
                      Thanks for the tip about the feet. If I get one, then maybe that or a silicon mat seems the way to go.
                      Do you use it mostly for espresso or pour over? Have you noticed much difference with what you already had?

• tompoland
                      tompoland commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very interested in answers to those questions too.

• sleepydan
                      sleepydan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did it take long once you ordered it? Any issues with customs or delivery?
                      It took 9 days from order > delivery. I had to pay customs/duty charges direct to DHL (they sent a form to complete the payment of - ~$400)

Do you use it mostly for espresso or pour over? Have you noticed much difference with what you already had? Only for Espresso as I'm not into pour over at the moment.

Another tip if you get one. Run a bag of this through it at the finest setting you can easily grind - https://www.harrisfarm.com.au/produc...d-basmati-rice. After 1 bag of this I was getting about 1g per turn in Espresso range. Before that it was about double that so this definitely helped speed up the seasoning even though the burrs are partially seasoned. (Don't use normal rice as it's too hard)

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
                    I thought in the video the Knob was turning anti-clockwise. Lido is clockwise.. From memory, I think I got your old one Leroy
                    Turns out you were right. I ended up backing the Knob on a bit of whim and now that they’ve got my money I thought I’d better look through all the info on KS a bit closer. The initial design is based on a CCW (counter clockwise) burr set. They decided on this as they thought they were getting better results from their grinder design (turning the outer burr) with this burr set. As they’ve developed it further they’ve come to the conclusion that it doesn’t make as much difference as they thought so they’ve now got a standard design using I think Italmill burrs. KS backers will have the option to upgrade to this burrs set even if their grinder gets shipped initially with the CCW burrs. I’m thinking the CCW burr option would be great for left handers so they might be onto a good thing if they are able to offer both options when they go to market. Personally I’m kinda hoping to get the chance to try both out of interests sake, but will probably ultimately opt for the traditional clockwise version.
                    Last edited by LeroyC; 5 days ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X