My IMEX is freaking out !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My IMEX is freaking out !?

Well Ive been relatively happy with my IMEX in the last 6 months or so since Ive had it. But just recently Ive had a run of very unfortunate events, and Im trying to work out where the fault lies.

Problem first started last week when I was mid way through a roast, and I tilted the machine back so I could see the beans spinning a bit slower... A second later and the power to my house was cut... and the roast promptly stopped. A check of my meter box showed that my appliance circuit overload thingo had been tripped... Not good.

Ive been running my IMEX with the aluminium foil mod for a while now... but other than that I havent done anything to it that I think would affect its running...

Subsequent roasts have had the same result... with all my appliances getting cut when the circuit breaker is flipped. Mostly about 7 minutes or so into the roast.

I should also state that the same thing happened to me a while ago when I came home to find all my appliances off, and the circuit breaker wouldnt switch back on until I unplugged an outdoor fridge... I live in a small unit, and the capacity isnt great... But this hasnt happened with the IMEX before...

So my question to the electrically minded of you out there is...

Is this a problem with my IMEX, and should I ask for a new one/refund (if thats possible) ? Or is it more likely to be a problem with crappy wiring, and my house not being able to handle it ?

Any suggestions would be great... as well as ways I can test the circuit... and I guess other ways I can roast on a cheapo scale... Seeing as the batch of Yirg that was half finished today did not come out well after I threw it into a roasting pan and put it on the oven... ahh the pain...

Thanks in advance guys,
    Matt

Re: My IMEX is freaking out !?

Matt,

It might be worth your while seeing if a similar load such as a heater causes the same thing. Just to be sure you arent blaming the Imex unecessarily. Also if you unplug the fridge does the same thing happen?

Comment

The fridge is permanently unplugged now... It was just a drinks fridge, so I didnt bother trying to get it to work. So that wont be the problem... As far as testing it, Ive tried plugging in a hair dryer and a few other things and havent had the same result yet...

Any other thoughts ?

Cheers,
      Matt

Comment

Running a toaster and microwave on the same set of outlets suck up a lot of juice.

Make sure nothing is shorting to the foil. If its touching the chassis as well, theres a culprit for overload right there. Heat does wonders for electronic components. If the wrong component is exposed to excessive heat, youll surely get increased current through that device, and ultimately, failure.

I think using something that isnt as conductive as an air flow restrictor might be a better idea.

Comment

Try doing up a roast at a friends house and see if it trips the circuit protection there as well.

Java "Trys not to trip his house" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Well i think its definitely busted... I just plugged it into a different socket, with no other appliances on it, and no modifications... I turned the dial, flipped the switch...and the circuit breaker triped immediately.

Other appliances dont have that effect... The last few times it happened it took a while, but now its happening right away...so something is definitely wrong inside... which sucks, because I was very happy with how it was working til now

I wouldnt be so concerned except at the moment I have no roasted beans left !!

Looks like pan roasting may have to be my next immediate option...

Comment

Hi Matt,

Hmmm, sure doesnt sound too good for the Imex does it. Id advise taking it to a local licensed electrician to check out for you.... this can be achieved in minutes so shouldnt cost too much. At least he/she will be able to tell you what the nature of the problem is and then you can make what ever arrangements you deem appropriate to have it repaired, under warranty, etc. Its even possible that the repair will be a very minor one and easy to fix . All the best,

Mal.

Comment

well this is a very interesting thread for me to find.....

The exact same thing has happened with my IMEX tonight!! Was around 7 mins thru a roast when power was cut, and now whenever I turn on the IMEX, the circuit is tripped.

Have you discovered any further info about our situations Matthew??

Ben

Comment

Id have to say that something is shorting somewhere. I had a problem with my portable aircon recently, because heat melted the insulation from one of the wires. Instant circuit breaker trip. I wouldnt be surprised if this was a similar case. If still under warranty, I wouldnt go poking around inside, just get a new one. If out of warranty, you might want to have a peek to see if there is any melted insulation from any of the wiring inside the unit. Make sure you unplug everything first of course.

Comment

Yep shall do Nunu. I emailed them tonite about warranty - its still under warranty so I should get a result there (at least I sure hope so!). If not, Ill investigate further and see if I can see anything obvious like melted wires as you mention.

Aside from that, maybe it will be a good excuse to buy a gene cafe ;D

Comment

Hrmm, didnt get emailed that a new post was here...so sorry for lack of a reply.

I havent done anything more about my machine, but I think Nunu may be very close to the truth the heat causing an internal short circuit.

Ive been lazy, but will get onto the guy soon about getting a replacement, thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,
                      Matt

Comment

Well i just got in touch with Vitali (where I bought it from) and they gave me a replacement, no questions asked.

For once living in W.A has worked out in my favour because they are located not too far away from me and I was able to drive around and do the swap right there and then.

Hopefully this new one will not have the same issue. So I guess at least the service is good.

Cheers,
                        Matt

Comment

Hi Matt

Great that you got a new roaster... I am being sent one out, living in QLD its taking a while though lol. Had to send my old one to them and they are sending me out a new unit. Very glad they are offering good service!

Comment

Hi All,

Dont mean to be picky :P but these machines seem to have a high infant mortality rate . Its great that Vitali are supporting them so well but a bit of a worry about future longevity it would seem. Hope this is just a hiccup in the overall scheme of things,

Mal.

Comment

Yeh I know what you mean Mal, although the guy did say that hed only had a couple of them returned in the hundred or more hes sold... Maybe thats you and I eh Mearsy ?

I personally bought it because it was cheap in the first place and looked like a lot less messing around than pan roasting or heat gun shinanegans, and to date its been very good (while it was working of course).

Just hoping this new one will hold out until I can really afford a hot top (or probat sample roaster )

Will let you know how it goes im sure.

Cheers,
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X