Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BBQ roaster

Hi all,

Just finished building a BBQ roaster and I though I might share a few pics. Im pretty happy with the result considering it only took about 6hrs of shed time.

The first batch, we tried 1kg of beans, it was ok initially but we lost about 150g-200g out of the side after they started to increase in size, the beans that fell out, caught fire and charcoaled some of the beans left in the roaster. The second batch I used 500g (100g monsoon, 400g yellow bourbon), set the BBQ to 210oC. The first crack was at about 20mins and the second at 26mins. Finished with a reasonable even roast but was probably in for 1-2mins too long. The next batch I try 800g and 220oC-230oC, but first I have some coffee to drink.

Here are some Pics:

Second Batch

Re: My BBQ roaster

Another Pic:

Comment

Another Pic

Comment

Inside

Comment

I built it so it was easily dismantled for cleaning

Comment

Good work, Fady. The drum looks great. I notice you leave your hot plate on. You can cut down the time by removing it and letting more heat into the drum. You may even be able to roast at a slightly lower temperature if you find the barbecue is getting heat stressed.

Just a thought.

Robusto

Comment

Thanks for the repy robusto,

Thats actually the flame defuser and i used to two outside burners so there was no direct heat on the beans. I am thinking of adding some opposing angled finns to try and move the beans left and right a bit more and even out any temperature differences inside the BBQ. I will give the two inside burners a go, should I leave the difuser in place when using the inside burners?

Fady

Comment

Well, 26 minutes for a roast is probably 10 minutes too long. Judging from your photo, the drum is a fair height above the flames, so Id ditch the difuser and anything else which stands between the burner and the drum.

On my set up, I have the middle burner under the drum on high, and the side burners on low. The only hot plate is on the right side simply so I can rest a thermometer on it as close as possible to the drum.

To do 400 grams takes up to 17 minutes. i could do it much faster but that would involve enormous heat inside the barbecue.

The thermometer high up the lid shows a reading off the scale, above 290 degrees C, while the other next to the drum shows 230 for most of the roast.

The barbecue gets very very hot. Even the lid handle is impossible to touch without gloves.

I am considering building a metal shroud which will envelope the middle burner and drum. That will obviate using the other burners. Temperatures outside the shroud will then be much cooler. Less gas too.

Robusto

Comment

What Ive seen a lot is the use of ceramic heat insulating bricks. This ensures even heat distribution within the roasting chamber. Preheat the bbq to 230-250*C, quickly install the drum and close the lid so you dont lose much heat. The air inside the chamber is already at a temperature suitable for roasting. Your roasting times should be shortened to a reasonable time just by preheating alone.

Also try to post-roast blend. Different origins have differing densities and will roast differently. If you roast them together, you might get a large variation in the degree of roast.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, all of it helps. The thermometer on the BBQ sits around the same height as the top of the drum so the reading shouldn’t too far off. Nunu, I did preheat the BBQ as well as the drum, I just think that, as Robusto suggested, using the burners directly under the drum should make a world of difference.

Fady

Comment

Good looking set up Fady. Could you provide a few specifics about the "drum" please. Like how long is it, diameter, did you make it from sheet or did you convert it from something? Im looking for something to go inside a bench top rotisserie.

Boris  

Comment

GDay boris, thanks. The drum is make from a 430*430 perf stainless sheet, rolled by hand to a 135mm dia. and welded. The total length is about 500mm fully assembled. I could have made it shorter, but I was after 2 things, to be able to roast about 1kg of bean (Got close, max is about 800g), and to have a thin as possible mass of beans to help to even out the roast.

The end cap is a jam funnel.

BTW, I tried another 500g using the inside burners at a BBQ temp of 250oC and charcoaled the beans in about 12mins. I will give the outside burners another go but at a higher BBQ temp.

Fady

Comment

Nice work Fady.

I look forward to seeing how the roasting comes along.... and what is the "right method" for your setup.

Are you going to consider making more of these?

I have a 6 burner BBQ at home that something like this would suit.

Comment

Working...
                          X