Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene roaster - chaff not exiting the chamber

Feedback on Gene roaster.

Ive been using Gene Cafe roaster for a few months now. Major problem I find with the roaster is that it doesnt get rid of chaffs well. Especially if I roast 250g or more. I have since dropped to 220-230g. But once in a while, chaff still gets stuck in exit area of the chamber. Once the chaffs caught on fire, had to dumpped the entire content out. S$%t!!! >

Overall it is a good roaster, but I find that it is not efficient at getting rid of chaff. Quite often (especially 5-8 minute mark), one can see chaffs covering the exit area. This is quite dangerous and it can start a fire.

Re: Gene roaster - chaff not exiting the chamber

what kind of beans have been producing that much chaff?
    so far i havent experienced this kind of chaff problem with my gene cafe.

i usually have a bit of fluff at the end when im tossing and cooling the beans in front of the fan, but no serious blockage or fires......ouch!

Comment

Mate, I was really pissed about that fire! Was a real shock to see it happened. BTW, read the manual and youll see that theres a statement saying that if chaff catches fire and its ok to continue roasting after the fire is out... Weird! Guess they do expect it to happen. No way Ill let the fire to burn itself off and continue roasting.

Brazil & Costa Rica.

Comment

yeah, reading asian-native written manuals in English is a good laugh.
        another thing about my gene is that it barely reaches 240 deg. during an 18 minute roast. granted, its chilly right now in Korea but ive started wondering whether its better to have a fast roast or a slow roast.

any thoughts on that?

j

Comment

Its generally though that you want to get to 1st crack quickly, then extend the time between 1st and 2nd. Let the beans coast into 2nd, most roasters say that it adds complexity.

Comment

Never had a problem with the chaff in the Gene... do you have the little metal "wiper" thing that goes "clunk" on each revolution?

That wiper seems to do a great job of breaking the chaff-up and letting it blow through to the catch can.

...and I have done some very grubby unwashed beans in it.

Comment

Andy,

I do have the metal sweeper. Ive noticed that its not touching, or at least nearly touching, the exit gaps of the chamber. While inspecting the sweeper outside the chamber, I noticed that if I were to tilt the chamber and have the exit/gap side (which if left side of chamber) slighly below the right side, the sweeper touches the metal gap. Even measured my kitchen top to make sure its flat. Looks like if Gene sits on a flat surface, it doesnt sweep that well. But I dont think Gene is designed to sit on a slightly tilted (left side lower than right).

Looks like the QC of Gene is not that great. I seen another post on SM talking about chaff blocking the exit as well.

With no local distribtor in country doesnt help.

Comment

Interesting re-fire. One of the things I really like about my Gene is chaff management - its awesome, so surprised to read of your fire.

Comment

Working...
                X