Model: CR-100 Home Coffee Roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model: CR-100 Home Coffee Roaster

Hi there has anyone out there on CS land tried the Model: CR-100 Home Coffee Roaster by the Vitali group?

Regards Smarty :

Re: Model: CR-100 Home Coffee Roaster

Hi Smarty,

There are quite a few of us here who use the Imex CR-100 as sold by Vitali. What would you like to know?

I use mine to roast 130g - 140g batches of green coffee, either blended or separate origins. I usually end my roasts at early 2nd crack, which can be after 9 mins or 12 minutes, depending on the weather.

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Hi Smarty,
      I have had a Vitali Imex for over 6 months now. I have roasted over 230 roasts with it. It is a little beauty!

I now roast 175gm batches with it but need to keep things moving at the start of each roast by gently rocking the beast whilst holding it with care, so as not to burn my hands!

I only started the rocking (and increasing the batch size) after I moved house.

At my previous house, I adhered to 140gm batches and there was bean movement from go to woe...but Imex machines (as well as other domestic roasters that I have read about) are quite voltage sensitive and work differently at different locations/voltage sources.

140gm at my current house (no pun intended) simply choked the Imex. The beans didnt rotate and would scorch if I didnt provide a fluid movement for them. I took the Imex back to my previous dwelling armed with the said 140gm batch and no such problems.

I read about the rocking motion somewhere. It serves to keep the green beans mobile whilst they heat (which still allows them to heat evenly) shed chaff and become lighter in mass. Depending on the bean size and mass, I may have to rock the Imex for 5-8 minutes until there is independent movement happening. I also need to rock the unit during the last 3 minutes or so of the cooldown cycle.

This lead me to experiment with batch size. The 175gm batch is a ceiling quantity that I have decided on. Any more than this and the beans exit the heating chamber in abundance, clogging the chaff collector which leads to a rapid increase in temperature in the roasting chamber (which needs air-flow). Too little air flow would no doubt cook the roaster.

I have learnt heaps about roasting with my Imex. It allows you to use sight, smell and sound to tune into the roasting process. I really havent had a bad batch and the norm is superb!

I really wouldnt hesitate in getting a Vitali Imex. I heard that there is a limited amount available and once gone, would not be replaced by Vitali.

Go on....jump in.
      Happy roasting,
      Paolo.

Comment

WOW, thanks for all the info Paulo & Rob, sounds like I must buy one. I tried to do a small batch of green beans with my popcorn popper it was clogged and smoked up the house after only a short 2 minutes. I have much to learn. Its all about that perfect cup. Thanks for all the help.
        Talk to you guys later Im sure.

Cheers for now Smarty

Comment

Go the CR100!
          Ive reoasted at least 300gms per week for many months - no probs - wholehearted recommendation!!
          (maybe thats my short term solution!)

Comment

Can anyone who has one of these and roasted with a popper tell me why I would spend the +$140 difference?
            A local supplier has one (for $175) so Im keen to learn a bit more before seeing it, so I can take a bit more $$$ if necessary.

Comment

I wouldnt spend the money...Ive seen the inside of these things...nothing worth $175 inside.

Comment

See here Stoveboy....if you need to mod as per the thread below, i dont see why you would bother

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abstractgourmet/70793419

Comment

Originally posted by Stoveboy link=1146059056/0#5 date=1181547045
                  Can anyone who has one of these and roasted with a popper tell me why I would spend the +$140 difference?
                  A local supplier has one (for $175) so Im keen to learn a bit more before seeing it, so I can take a bit more $$$ if necessary.

I paid about $110 for mine a few years ago from Vitali. Probably completed 50 roasts. They arent too bad, and though I use a BM and heat Gun mostly I still use it as my fire-and-forget roaster as i can set it and do other things while it roasts away. I wouldnt expect it to last forever as the tronics inside may not be crash hot as mentioned. It has a good chaff collector but it still spits out little bits of chaff though. It has a very simple timer so you still need to monitor the end of the roast. All-in-all Im happy with it, but I dont think I would stretch to pay $170 for one.

Comment

The Imex was my first roaster. Mine still roasts like a new one and has done over 300 roasts! It has moved out to stud now.

I wanted to do bigger roasts (and have moved on to a Hottop) but the humble Imex is still there as a standby....should the Hottop fail.

Mine was a Vitali too and was probably the best $110 or so that I could have spent when starting off....it got me hooked on home roasting and Ive never looked back.

Comment

Hi There is one of these for sale for 80$.
                      Worth it?

Comment

I think the fact this thread has sat idle for 5.5 years says something.

$80 isnt too big a risk but it's not a favourite roaster in my collection. Dangerously hot, easy to burn yourself and not much different in batch size or results to a popper.

If you have never roasted before have a read of the popper thread on CoffeeSnobs, its a cheap and great "proof of concept" way of starting your home roasting journey. You can pick them up new for $12-$50 and find them secondhand for $5-free

Comment

Thanks Andy

Comment

Working...
                          X