Turbo cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo cooler

Apparently getting bean temperature down is just as important as getting it up in the first place...

I found an old fan Id forgotten about in the back of the garage last week - ZEIHL-ebm blower, 160W, ~8 cubic metres/minute airflow...

Hold 2 colanders together over it, and hang on!
    Beans are room temperature within one minute.

Re: Turbo cooler

Holy crap!

I would have thought it would only take 10 seconds with that monster.

Comment

its because by the time the 10 secons of cooling is over, you have your hands full turning the thing off and carefully removing the collanders without spilling the beans into the fan and turning it into a "Coffee Shotgun (TM pending)", that it ends up being 60 seconds before you can savely look at your watch again.

Awesome stuff

Comment

Oh my God!

I feel so amatuer........

Do the beans stick to the top when turned on?? ;D Or does it just force them throught the mesh so you dont have to grind later?

Comment

yeah, the beans hang on the top surface for a couple of seconds until they get pushed aside by the air, and slide around to the bottom. Its pretty awesome to watch. If I get really inspired I might post a video, but thats pushing it a bit.

Comment

Matt,

What no bling to go with the popper? Id like to see an externally mounted tacho with a big red light please!. Very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G link=1147041783/0#5 date=1147214613
              Matt,

What no bling to go with the popper?  Id like to see an externally mounted tacho with a big red light please!. Very impressive.
              A turbo that big is gonna need one huuuuuuge intercooler and a momo switch  ;D

Comment

sounds like Ill have to polish up the aluminium housing...

I think Ive got a few Koni and TEIN stickers that I didnt put on my car, though it really needs a "Type-R" one (R for Roast)

Comment

Not that you need any more cooling power but heres a thought. Is the colander shaped such that it could be set over the intake opening? You might find that this will cool the beans even faster, with-out the risk of them being launched into orbit and be easier to use.

Putting the colander in the intake (assumming the fan is oriented with that side being horizontal of course) it can just sit there and the beans poured into it with the fan already running. In the time it takes you to get the beans into the colanders and set over the exhaust side theyd already be at room temp cooling on the intake side.

Java "Ya gotta love a great cooler!" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Would need a different colander I think. The hub of the fan that you can see is the motor, and it rotates with the fan... its not recessed very much.

I feel that the agitation of the beans caused by using the exhaust side of the fan helps cool them evenly though... and it only takes me about 5 seconds to tip the beans into a colander, grab the other one, hold it on top, switch on the fan and start cooling.

secondly, I wouldnt want to drop a bean into the fan! Exit velocity on the blower is about 55 kmh...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt King link=1147041783/0#9 date=1147244024
                      secondly, I wouldnt want to drop a bean into the fan! Exit velocity on the blower is about 55 kmh...

It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase getting beaned! You could market it as the Turbo Bean Cooler slash Home Defense System! Drop a kilo of beans in it and watch the bad guys run! ;D

Java "Hands up or Ill bean ya!" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Thats the principle I use with the vacumm. I put the hot beans in front of the air intake (with a sieve for a filter) and switch it on. Cool in about 30 seconds.

Boris

Comment

Can you tell me where you purchased the colanders from Matt?

Comment

those colanders were from a little store in Brandon Park next to K-mart (where I got the popper from coincidentally). Cant remember the name of the shop, but they sold cheap junk. About $3 each as I recall.

heres the label that was on it:
                            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1141290048/11#11

Comment

Working...
                            X