Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistral - Part(y) Fun

Hey Gang,
    i dropped my tiffany popper last week so i had to purchase a new roaster asap.
    Target ended up being the only place that has a suitable popper in my area, so i bought the Mistral Party Fun Popper (see link: http://www.mistral.com.au/InstructionBooks/Novelty/MPM15.pdf )

Anywho, it was fitted with my old chimney and given a run on saturday morning, it was a cold sydney morning so i dont know if that extended the roast, but it was definately slower than my tiffany (R.I.P).
    My roast approached 10 minutes and was probably somewhere between a light and medium roast (first crack was around 6 minutes from memory) when she died...! just packed it in and shut up shop. i thought it may have been a heat or timing trip of sorts, but the mistral hasnt come back to life.?!?!

has anyone else had this problem with the Mistral.? are returns easy enough.?
    should i have steared clear of this one...? Most annoying.

Cheers
    KoNG

Re: Mistral - Part(y) Fun

Gday KoNG,
    I would suspect that if the popper hasnt come to life by now that the thermal fuse has blown, as the thermal overloads are self re-setting when the temperature goes back down.
    You can check it if you have a few tools and a multi-meter, but the simplest thing would be to take it back to Target and get a new one. Theyll usually swap it over no questions asked if you show your receipt.
    All the best.

Comment

Thanks Lovey (haha i feel like a nanna saying that)
      it didnt fire back up the next day, so id say its gone. Ill go for the swap this week, after a quick clean of the chamber.
      im just worried its going to happen everytime, maybe if i reduce my batch size to 100g it will keep it at a lower temp.

Comment

Gday Kong,

The Mistral reliabilty is a bit hit and miss. I had one for 12 months used weekly that just recently died. I bought 2 at the factory oulet because they were cheap. One died on the first roast the second is still going after 2 months. Luck of the draw? I can get about 8-12 mins roast/ 110gms seems to be the right load for my present model. The previous one could do 140 gms no problem. Thats just my experience. Goodluck.

Comment

Originally posted by KoNG link=1149477399/0#2 date=1149489081
          Thanks Lovey (haha i feel like a nanna saying that)
          it didnt fire back up the next day, so id say its gone. Ill go for the swap this week, after a quick clean of the chamber.
          im just worried  its  going to happen everytime, maybe if i reduce my batch size to 100g it will keep it at a lower temp.
          Dont worry about the nanna comment, I get it all the time at work ;D.
          How much were you trying to roast when the popper died?
          You might have overloaded it somewhat.

Comment

There are actually two thermal control/protection devices in these things...... One is the aforementioned Thermal Fuse which has the appearance of a small silver capacitor with a connection lead on each end...... The other is an Electromechanical Thermal Cutout Switch, sort of a very basic Thermostat.

This quote from the PDF file you linked tells the whole story really, poppers are not really intended for use as roasters, hence this statement.....
            -------------------------------------------------------------
            "Do not use the popcorn maker for longer than 6
            minutes at a time. After two consecutive batches
            have been made, leave the machine to cool down for
            about 10 minutes before using again."
            -------------------------------------------------------------

Ive discovered that both of the above devices can be problematical when using the popper as a roaster and both can be repaired/overcome by a licensed electrician if warranty is NOT an issue . Depends on how much you like to play around with these sorts of things I guess but these types of mods should NOT be attempted by unqualified people..... 240 Volts can, and does kill people.

Mal.

Comment

Ill take it back this time and get a replacement. I think i used about 130g from memory. So maybe that was too much and i need to cut it down to 100g.
              Seeing though the same thing happened to swig, ill give it another go.

thanx for the heads up Mal.

Comment

Working...
              X