iRoast2 a real winner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iRoast2 a real winner.

Last week I took delivery of the iRoast2, and 15kg (yes... 15) of Green Beans, as winner of the CS Milleni Contest on this site.

Firstly, thanks again to Les at Coffee Roasters Australia (site sponsor who offered the iRoast as the prize), Andy (for offering the beans) and Java (for running the contest).

So - Yesterday I fired up the iRoast2, and now I really DO feel like a winner!

The Verdict:
    This machine is an excellent small batch roaster. I really rate the fact that you can program the whole roast, both time and tempratures. I think the biggest factor of the iRoast2 is "Repeatibility". Once youve tested out roasts you really like... you can ALWAYS do them! That is great.

Pre-iRoast2.
    I have been roasting for a couple of years at least. I started out using a popper. I have still got one in the cupboard which is now 3rd backup. I graduated to the heatgun method after a year or so, and soon after I built the "77Roast", which is a large batch, heatgun, motor stirred roaster. It will do 500g easily.

Since using the 77Roast, I was very weary of going back to a 150g batch size. I had also read about it roasting very fast sometimes and being very noisy. So, marred by these preconceptions I started out.

Before the Roast.
    Go read this. There is no way I could EVER give a more comprehensive rundown of the macine or the process. Once I read this I ignored all the other comments about the roasts being fast. Tom is truly a master roaster.
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/hearthwar...ttipsheet.html

The 1st Roast (30% Brazil, 30% Sumatran, 30% Indian Tiger Mountain)
    I used Toms programmed roast for Brazillian espresso. I did the above blend specifically because thats what Ive been drinking for a while now, and I wanted a direct comparison with the heatgun method.

It is noisy, but so is a popper, and so is a heatgun! Its not THAT noisey, and after using a popper and a heatgun for such a long time I could easily determine 1st and 2nd crack. (if you want super quiet, go a HotTop, and double the price!)

The roast was a bit too fast, and I hit the cool button about a minute out from the end. Since all Toms measurements are in "F", not "C" and he also talked about a difference in the machine based on voltage I changed the second roast to a custom one. The beans came out nice and dark, with a touch of oil spotting.

Also - I roasted inside! Yep, I just set the machine under the rangehood, and away I went! (I even heard 1st and 2nd over the machine and the rangehood!). This is a BIG plus if youve gotta faff around outside anytime in the winter to do a roast. Plus the temprature curves are way more stable inside because the input air is higher in temprature. So that was another big plus.

The 2nd Roast (same blend as above).
    I used my own profile this time. I used Toms as a base, and downgraded the start and end, just so it would run a little slower.
    1min 162
    1min 180
    3min 200
    3min 240
    Again it was noisey, but I could easily determine 1st crack.. then a pause between them, and then 2nd crack about 5 seconds before the cool cycle kicked in. This was a real hum-dinger for me - almost exactly how I would like it - and the consistency of the roasted beans is superb (even with a mixed blend).

Taste Results.
    I was dubious about the first batch, because I usually prefer City - Full City. But it was very nice indeed (for a dark roast). It tasted slightly less bitter than from the 77Roast for the strength it was done to. Strong, but still had the very distinct ITM taste I have come to enjoy so much recently.

The second batch was spot on. Almost exactly the way I like it - I would have to rate it as one of the nicest blends Ive come across so far.

And the best bit.... Next week, Ill do 2 more... exactly the same.

Re: iRoast2 a real winner.

Sounds like a great roaster!

Java "Gotta love repeatability!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyCJ link=1150155249/0#0 date=1150155248
      The 1st Roast  (30% Brazil, 30% Sumatran, 30% Indian Tiger Mountain)
      Thats certainly an interesting blend.

Comment

30% base, 30% guts, 30% top end

Comment

Now were all hanging out for the mystery 10% ingredient to be revealed . . .

- Rob

Comment

I can tell ya, its not bloody Robusta!

Comment

Hi all, Im new! But love this site.

Ive enjoyed good coffee all my life but just recently learnt a few things and now I have caught the passion!

Now looking into my own Roasting my own.

Where can you buy the iRoast2 in Aust?...

Comment

Originally posted by lizzy0206 link=1150155249/0#6 date=1216037016
                Hi all, Im new! But love this site.

Ive enjoyed good coffee all my life but just recently learnt a few things and now I have caught the passion!

Now looking into my own Roasting my own.

Where can you buy the iRoast2 in Aust?...

<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t; from site sponsor Coffee Roasters Australia...

Comment

Working...
                X