Looking for a popper???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a popper???

Just to let all you would be roasters out there know that Aldi has a popper on sale from this Thursday for $14.99. I have no idea what its like but would seem reasonable. I also saw Black and Decker poppers for around $18 but for the life of me cannot remember where. Coffee on the brain I expect.

More fun coming
    kualityman

Re: Looking for a popper???

Originally posted by Kualityman link=1150714643/0#0 date=1150714643
    Just to let all you would be roasters out there know that Aldi has a popper on sale from this Thursday for $14.99. I have no idea what its like but would seem reasonable. I also saw Black and Decker poppers for around $18 but for the life of me cannot remember where. Coffee on the brain I expect.

More fun coming
    kualityman
    From personal experience, avoid the Aldi one like the plague. It runs way too hot and is too hard to control without a lot of modifications.

Comment

Heya Kuality,

Ive read quite a few posts on these forums about the Aldi Popper AKA MaitreD brand that they run too hot/heat too fast to be a good roaster. I seem to have heard good stuff about the Mistral/Breville though which is what I plan to get.

Anyone heard anything about the Black and Decker? Is it an OK roaster?.. can anyone give more info on where the special might be?

Lachlan

Comment

The B&D is working fine for me. The fan can lift ~180g of beans (well, it needs a minute or so of stirring first).

I think I need to take out the thermostat though, it seems to be struggling to finish a batch in these winter temps...

Comment

We have been using unmodified breville poppers at the academy now for 3 years...and still cant break em

2mcm

Comment

Hmm.. Breville sounds good if it has the 2mcm stamp of approval

Comment

I have used 2 B&D poppers, the first one was newest model from Kmart, and was used unmodified, with no problems, for a few weeks, and is now disassembled to be used as a repalcement shoudld the second unit fail.

Second was from a 2nd hand shop, still in original box and plastic but an earlier model. This was modified (with help of an electrician) ultimately finished up with a separate multitap transformer for the fan, which enables 4 speeds, and an old simmerstat for the heat coil/s (turns out a on/off switch for the heat coils is probably better than the simmerstat)
              Anyway the second unit has run with only minor problems for over a year now, the problems were probably related more to the modifications than the unit itself).

One issue that might affect long term reliability on these units is the fan, my early model has an aluminum fan, but the later model has some sort of plastic fan. Dont know what the current Breville models have, and sure the retailer would be happy to let you pull one aprt to find out???
              Does anyone out there know?

Comment

Looks like the Breville unit has the nod from this crew especially from the Jedhi Master himself!!! No two ways about it experience counts for everything when it come to dealing with alien machines not designed for jet propulsion.

Not so much coffee today so now walking on mother earth and memory returning so I think i saw the B&D in Mitre 10 but not all stores carry the same products at times depends on the store owner.

K-Mart were recently selling off the chuck wagon type for around $36 but these were/are bigger units than those just discussed.

Whats wrong with buying a proper roaster like the Imex? The only fault I have found with mine is the cool down period needs to be doubled and it get pesky hot especially if you try to open it during a roast. In pre heat the temp goes up to 190 degrees C. It needs a handle of some sort so that one can lift the lid without getting burnt. One of these days ill make one.

For what it is it does a beaut job and now that i have done with the experimenting I just load it with 100gs of beans plus or minus a few and after a pre heat to bring it up to operating temp dump the beans in and turn the time full on and go away whilst it does its thing. Once completed its run i re-set the timer in the cool down period so that it runs once again. After that I cannt wait to grind and make a brew. Usually i vent what beans I have left but have found the taste varies only slightly and sugar will kill the diference.

Hey its raining here.
                have fun
                kualityman

Comment

Im using the Kmart Black & Decker. Price is $22 (or on sale at $17.60). I notice they come with a 2-year warranty. Nothing in the paperwork specifies misuse as a coffee roaster anyone tried to return one if they die?

Mine is running just fine BTW, but my evil brain did speculate as I bought it. . .

Comment

I bought a Kambrook for $22 from one of the Breville outlets in Sydney yesterday. They also had the Breville Crazy Popper for $29 (well, they were out of them but wouldve sold me the display model). Theyre factory seconds (may have slight scuff marks or have been returned with no fault found) but still have a 1 year warranty...

Comment

Hey Beanmeister,

just gonna go grab a popper, where is the Breville outlets located in Sydney you mentioned??
                      thanks,

max

Comment

Hi Maxie,

There is one in Ultimo on Wattle St (opposite the entrance to Wentworth Park, not far from the fish markets) and apparently there is another one in Redfern. I was in the Ultimo one last week and they had a couple of Kambrooks but were out of Crazy Poppers. They should be listed in the White Pages if you want to ring and check before you go...

Comment

Working...
                        X