What do you see here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you see here?

http://www.bvproducts.com.au/Products/Machines/dr_series.htm (we have a couple of these in the factory at work)

Im seeing a cake tin mounted on an inverted random orbital sander... (heat source not included in photo)

Re: What do you see here?

Looks like it has de-stoning potential too!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt King link=1151306272/0#0 date=1151306272
      Im seeing a cake tin mounted on an inverted random orbital sander... (heat source not included in photo)
      I can almost hear the gears turning from here (yours Matt, not the Vibe Separator ;D),

Mal.

Comment

Basically a Case tumbler like the one i have in my Garage for Polishing Bullets in a Media of crushed walnut shells or if you are miserable rice stolen from the Kitchen..
        My Lyman is a Plastic unit this one may be Metal but its the same system, Cost may be a Factor, I have a link somewhere to plans for a Homebuilt version which may be moded in metal as these look to be Expensive..
        Im quite interested in some of the media they have though..
        Tepin

Comment

I see a week-end playing with a new toy. ;D

Java "The Mad Modder" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

we have two different sized ones at work. The bigger is probably a metre in diameter. Both are plastic coated for noise reduction (not good for roasting straight off)

However its the tumbling/swirling action Im curious about - saves wooden spooning... Just need a restraint to stop the cake tin rotating, and a mount for a heatgun. Ive got the random orbit sander at home, it only cost ~$40, locking trigger and variable speed.

de-stoning would depend on particle size differential...

TEPIN - they have every media imaginable, and they can do samples for you to test them out. Wonder how theyd feel about someone turning up with a sack of beans though?

Comment

Link to plans for Tumbler {Home made}
              Pretty simple really..
              http://bf5man.googlepages.com/HomebuiltBrassTumbler.doc

Comment

well I gave the idea a "whirl" tonight  : grabbed some velcro tape from work and stuck a cake tin to the sander, and tie-wired the pan to the handle to stop it spinning.

pic below.

Obvious drawbacks:
                Noise: its just as loud as an industrial rumbler. No way you could hear cracks.
                particle separation: Maybe its a shape or load thing, but my rumbler here is separating out the big and small (different colour) beans in this Malabar Gold mix... see all the green beans are around the edge.

short video at: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~drjoking/beans.AVI (2.2MB)

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Comment

I can hear the Avi but I cant see it, Cant download a Suitable prog?
                  Funny I get that with a Few movies I try to download, and Its just not the same..
                  <G>
                  When I Polish Cases I throw a variety of Calibres in and sort later and have never found them to bunch by size.. I throw Rifle Cases in with Pistol Cases and the odd brass Key. Its not quite as noisy as that but Im in a Plastic Bowl..
                  But then how does one hear the Crack in a Fluid bed Roaster?
                  Tepin

Comment

the motion and the size sorting are probably dependant on a few variables that could be tweaked (bowl shape, batch size, speed, bowl mounting, etc). The motion should really have a "rolling" component to it that this presently lacks.

Still, hard green beans being shaken rapidly in a metal bowl is unlikely to get any quieter, and I think that wont go away (without resorting to some exotic high temp plastics for example).

PS video plays for me on two WinXP machines... :/\/

Comment

... plays for me fine on my Mac OSX with latest quicktime...

Comment

Ill try it on one of the other Boxes, My Primary Box and Server is running Win2K

Comment

Maybe try a Bundt Cake pan. Their fluting might give you better bean movement and theyre generally made out of a much heavier stock which would mute a lot of the noise.

Alternatively you could find a pot that the cake tin youre using will fit into where the tin will rest on the rim of the pot just below the rim of the tin. The heavier the pot the better. This will mute the sound of the beans in the tin.

Java "Loving the Doohickies" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Something like that might help. At a minimum, the bowl would need better isolation to stop the heat of the bowl/beans melting the rubber backing pad...

let me just say that the rumblers we use at work are in the furthest corner, in a closed padded room to keep the noise down. I mean, theyre designed to bang things together...

Comment

Working...
                            X