Roasting book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting book

Ok, Ive decided to get into roasting, Ive read the reviews and comments and am leaning towards the Hottop. BUT! I have no knowledge of roasting whatsoever, 1st crack, 2nd crack????. Can anyone recommend a good beginners guide to home roasting? Or does anyone run courses on the subject?

Bart. :-?

Re: Roasting book

Gday Bart,

This is a good place to start... Sweet Marias http://www.sweetmarias.com/instructions.html . Lots of good info in there for the budding roaster.... a lot of us got our first roasting ideas from here ,

Mal.

Comment

Hi Bart,

Home Coffee Roasting: Romance & Revival  by Kenneth Davids is an excellent little paperback which goes into the science, history, culture and DIY aspects of home coffee roasting.  It is also an entertaining read.

Im not sure if you can get it in Australia, but if you do a search for it, you can purchase it very cheaply from some of the Amazon traders...

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Bart,

Excellent to hear youre considering getting started home roasting. If youre not sold on a hottop, then I reckon its always worth giving a heat gun a whirl for a while (others will probably say the same about a popcorn popper, although I prefer the more standard roast times of a heatgun). Its a fair bit cheaper to start, and you can produce just as effective coffee - and if you dont like it for some reason, then you havent outlayed a lot of dollars (not that I know what a hottop goes for anyway).

Good luck on the journey grasshopper !

Comment

Hi Bart,

I second Poundys advice, get a heat gun and dog bowl or similar to learn a bit about it all.
          I started with a popper, which does a good job with some mods, yep I know you werent interested in tinkering, except batch size was a bit small, I was often thinking I would like to be able to roast around 200-300g bach sizes.
          I then went the heat gun route, $25.00 from KMart, and have built a mini angled drum type unit, using an old wiper motor, a SS colander with some stirrer vanes, inside a mixing bowl), which is working quite well for the batch sizes I wanted, and total cost not much more than $50, but there was some time involved. (I am intending to add a post on this creation, with some pics sometime)

However it can be as simple as a heat gun, dog bowl and spoon to stir with, and some sort of timing device is always useful.

Then the investment in a hottop will be worthwhile IF you feel the need to spend that kind of money.

Comment

CS advice is good advice. Thanks blokes.

Bart.

Comment

hi there,

If you are kicking around Melbourne, then drop in to my factory out in Mordialloc where i do all of my sample roasting, cupping and profiling of new and current stock. we are always keen to teach and show people what we do.

Comment

Working...
              X