This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Corretto" - The Beginning

After months of stuffing around looking for an easy way to roast with the heat gun without standing there stirring for 20 minutes with smoke billowing into my eyes I finally took the plunge and just tossed the beans in my 10 year old breadmaker. A dry run confirmed that it should work. Then caution was thrown to the wind and the bread maker was taken outside, heat was applied, and the roasting began using 150 grams of Ugandan Bugisu.

All seemed to go much better than expected, with the first crack around 9/10 minutes. Ive never had a first crack before where all the beans seemed to crack in such a short time. Sounded a bit like fireworks going off! Maybe the bowl concentrated the sound of the cracks out of the bowl like a foghorn ... not to mention uniform heating throughout the bowl.

Turned the HG down to low and at 14 minutes the second crack came, much quicker than I wanted. At this stage I realised how hot the bowl was. Very hot! Oven mitts were needed. By the time I got them the beans were in rolling 2nd crack even without any heat being applied.

So into the Vaccuum cooler they went and down to room temp in 60 seconds. The best uniformly roasted beans Ive done in 4 months of roasting with a heatgun and popper. Was very pleased :

Did a second roast shortly after with 200g of the Mocha Java Blend (love that one) and didnt need to turn the HG above low. Maybe due to residual heat left in the bowl. 1st crack at 9/10 mins and rolling 2nd by 14/15. Now more than pleased ;D

BTW Id say that you could roast up to 500 grams in this.

Regards
    Belinda

p.s how do you attach more than one photo?

Re: Easy Hands Free Heat Gun Setup

Originally posted by Corretto link=1154442377/0#0 date=1154442375
    p.s how do you attach more than one photo?
    Sounds like a nice little set-up you came up with using the bread machine Corretto.

To attach more than one picture in a post the image must be hosted on a site that is publicly available such as photobucket or flickr and the link to them put in the post using the image tag.

Click on the third button from the left in the top row of icons (the one with the little picture) on the post reply page and then insert the link(s) to the picture(s) in the tag that appears.

Java "Keep inventing!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Thanks Java.

Here are some more photos of the roast.

Side shot with beans jumping around.  Fan to blow the smoke and chaff onto the lawn

Beans at the start. With temperature probe to the left. Showed temps of up to 290C with HG on high. Not sure about that ....

The beans jumping around with some smoke coming off.

Beans a fraction of a second later

The end product

Chaff and 3 beans that made it into the body of the bread maker at the end.  BTW the external walls of the breadmaker kept at near air temperature during the roast.

Comment

Wow!

What a great idea. Ive got a breadmaker that gets used about once a year just because I think I should use it to jutsify the original purchase. That is a much better use

I might try that one cause I would like to roast bigger batch sizes to feed my habit. Looks like a nice even roast.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Hey Hey Hey- Ive got a bread maker thats not doing anything!
          Tell me please how do you get it to perform at the right time- I mean my machine waits for 20 minutes before it does anything!
          Did you reprogram it or what??? ;D
          This is exciting! Except I cant see your pictures
          Tell me more- what have you done how do you do it? what settings and stuff- Thanks
          RH

Comment

OK I can see them now- WOW what a great idea!
            I wouldnt have thought it would produce evenly roasted beans! Im shocked.
            I have to give this a try.

Comment

Hi Rayzur

Just use the breadmaker on the Dough setting. Im sure they are all a bit different but mine wizzes slowly for 2 minutes and then wizzes quickly (kneads) for 25 minutes. The breadmaker doesnt heat up itself on this setting, so its perfect for whirling the beans around

Comment

My search begins for an old bread maker..!
                SWMBOs mother loves the garage sales..... so it shouldnt take long.!
                great idea Corretto.

Ps. i already have the superautomatica bottle capper.! ;D

Comment

What a great idea Corretto, definitely a [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif].

I reckon a lot of us must have a breadmaker stashed away in the back of a cupboard somewhere just waiting to be put to a much more useful purpose. My next roast is gonna be in the BM, cant pass this idea up 8-),

Mal.

Comment

Okay okay! Ive tried it now!
                    First of all dont use a panasonic- they are too good and full of tricky little extras like preheating for anywhere between 15 and 25 minutes depending on the ambient temperature. Then- they have these clever little stops during the mixing- you k now 2 to 3 seconds where the heatgun is blasting the beans in one spot!
                    But worst of all is the proximity of the paddle to the side "ridges" in the machine- that means that every third spin a bean jams and the whole process stops
                    So what to do???
                    well... shhhhh
                    I busted the end of the paddle so it would work better.
                    Itll still make bread wont it?
                    Sure it will darling! 8-)
                    I noticed the heat retained very well so I reckon with a bit of help I could direct the gun higher- prolong the roast- which incidentilly went pretty well apart from a few I had to toss out!
                    All done in 12 minutes!
                    I think this will be my method of choice even if it means holding the gun- better than stirring!
                    Even if it means buying a cheaper breadmaker (and buying a new paddle for panasonic).
                    Thanks again for the great idea!
                    RH

Comment

Darn it ,

Our bread-maker is a Breville and even in the Dough setting, only stirs continuously for a maximum of 10 minutes after the intermittent stirring finishes after 3 minutes..... looks like its going to be a no-go :-/,

Mal.

Comment

Well all that stop start malarky is controlled by a computer chip somewhere.
                        If the BM is no longer going to be used for bread making you could just bypass the circuitry and convert it to manual.

Comment

Looks like this method is very dependant on the type of Breadmaker.  My Breville Country is 10 years old.  On Dough mode it whirls once per 5 seconds for 1 1/2 minutes and then lets rip for the next 25 minutes.  Maybe the old Brevilles are the ones to go for.  

How hard would it be to bypass the circuitry as per Thunders suggestion??

Ive done 7 batches in it now and find it fantastic!  With my hands free Ive been able to take notes about how long the different beans take.  Generally 15 - 19 minutes to 2nd crack.  Very repeatable.

The superautomatica bottle capper makes it easy to raise and lower the heatgun to adjust for roast lengths/temps.   Because of the heat retention of the bowl the gun only needs to be just above the top of the BM as above in the pics.  Shoving it further in would definitely speed it up of course, but I reckon that would be too vicious.

Gotta have the fan on behind it too.  That blows away the smoke and seems to even out the temp inside the bowl.  Maybe.  Could be imagining that....

Belinda

Comment

Beware of getting the bowls in these machines too hot as most of them are teflon coated.

Java "Life is a chemical reaction" phile
                            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Ive wondered about the teflon problem. By the end of the roast the temperature probe is showing about 270C, and this is located almost in the middle of the beans. So not sure what temperature the bowl is getting to, but surely its not 270C (which might cause problems with the teflon?? )

After 7 roasts, the rotor which is mostly directly exposed to the HG blast, is turning a browny colour along the middle, but the rest of the bowl has not changed colour at all.

Belinda

Comment

Working...
                              X