Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville crazy popper

Hi all,

Just doing our first roasts (simonty and jaxxx) each with a crazy popper and an exhaust tip for the chimney using the starter pack. First couple of roast lame but the last few have been excellent!

Found that we needed to go up to 250g with the columbian and the brazil and found 1stt cracks at about 5 mins and 2nd at about 9 mins - both very clear with a bit of space between them. These later roasts are looking nice and dark with a sheen of oil. No obvious nuked ones.

Will keep you posted on the updates but it seems that the popper with the rounded end exhaust tip (folded back over) verses the one with the straightt pipe that is about 5 cm longer roasts faster. Semi blocking the big one with a collander helps significantly re times.

cheers
    jaxxx

Re: Breville crazy popper

Originally posted by jaxxx link=1155644890/0#0 date=1155644890
    Found that we needed to go up to 250g with the columbian and the brazil and found 1stt cracks at about 5 mins and 2nd at about 9 mins - both very clear with a bit of space between them.
    Wow!

Very impressive batch size for a popper..... must have one awesome little fan fitted in those mothers ,

Mal.

Comment

I;ve attached a roast pic done with the breville - 250g batch approx 9 mins roasting.

Comment

Hmmm,

Nice even looking roast there jaxxx..... probably a little bit on the oily side for me though. I usually like to stop my Colombian roasts about 20-30 seconds before the first crackles of 2nd Crack start, but thats just me though ,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal - we went a little thermo-nuclear on the last one just to see what really dark looked like. I tasted it yesterday (about 16hrs post roast) and it was a bit all over the place in taste. Some strong high vanilla?/lemony taste but seemed to lack body. Didnt taste particularly burnt or charcoal - expect it will settle down over the next couple of days.

The earlier roasts we did were far less oily or dark - Ive attached a pic here if anyone could give me an idea of whether it looks right etc.

Comment

That ones looking pretty close for a Colombian jaxxx,

Maybe a little uneven but probably not enough to be noticeable in the cup. You should notice more of the beans inherent flavours at this roast level and maybe slightly more acidity but shouldnt be overwhelming at all. Its great fun trying to squeeze the flavours out of the bean that interest you, probably represents most of the challenge of all of the processes but lots of enjoyment when it pays off 8-).

A really handy guide to roast progression can be found on Sweet Marias via this link here...http://tinyurl.com/aeqkm. As with everything to do with coffee, this is only a guide but with sufficient resolution between steps that it is quite useful. I use it anyway... just downloaded it and printed it out after calibrating my monitor so that the colour gradations are as close as I can get them. Happy roasting jaxxx,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mal. Will do!

cheers
              Jaxxx

Comment

Ill have to keep an eye out for a Breville. I started at the bottom rung price-wise and bought a Black & Decker from Kmart for $22. Actually very please with it so far - nice even roasts and simple machine to use.

The roast on the left is the first one from the machine and I stopped it after the 2nd Cracks had just begun. On the right is the second roast from the popper - I let the 2nd cracks continue till they had fallen off a bit.

Comment

Hi grendel - good looking roast and looked very even. What volume are you putting though each roast?

cheers
                  Jaxxx

Comment

I cant get over the 250g batch size... insane..but awesome!

Comment

Jaxxx, is this the popper you are using??

http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/otheritems/crazypopper.html

Comment

Yes - thats the one - and Ive added a large exhaust tip as the chimney which is what seems to give me the extra volume.

cheers
                        jaxx

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxx link=1155644890/0#11 date=1158662738
                          Yes - thats the one - and Ive added a large exhaust tip as the chimney which is what seems to give me the extra volume.

cheers
                          jaxx
                          not to mention the bling factor 8-)

Comment

god - I missed that a month ago jaxxxx - about 100 g batches there.

doing more with my custom bling.

Actually going out to try a batch tonight - will take piccies and post back.

Comment

Cool... Thanks jaxxx

Comment

Working...
                              X