Breville Quick Popper Popcorn Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Quick Popper Popcorn Maker

Help... Can someone tell me if this popper will do for Coffee Roasting. ??

http://cgi.evilbay.com.au/Breville-Quick-Popper-Popcorn-Maker-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ130016318644QQihZ003QQcategoryZ66752Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Didnt want to post the link however I have no way else to reference this model - even looked up the Breville website to no avail.

Any good?...

PS... Mods, Ill understand if you wipe this post...

Re: Breville Quick Popper Popcorn Maker

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1155880692/0#0 date=1155880692
    Help... Can someone tell me if this popper will do for Coffee Roasting.  ??

http://cgi.evilbay.com.au/Breville-Quick-Popper-Popcorn-Maker-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ130016318644QQihZ003QQcategoryZ66752Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Marc- we dont like them at the academy......Grab a Breville crazy popper....theyre heaps better!

2mcm

Comment

Thank you 2mcm - Appreciate that.

Marc

Comment

2mcm, curious to know what you dont like about the quick popper. Ive been using
        a B&D HotnPop which in external appearance at least is like the quick popper. These are
        first attempts; it seems to work reasonably well. But of course would like to
        know how to do better... tks

Comment

Originally posted by hazbean link=1155880692/0#3 date=1155962607
          2mcm, curious to know what you dont like about the quick popper. Ive been using
          a B&D HotnPop which in external appearance at least is like the quick popper. These are
          first attempts; it seems to work reasonably well. But of course would like to
          know how to do better...   tks
          Hazbean- we have one of them at the academy also.....my prime concern is that its too quick....1st crack in 5 min.....which leads to beans burned on the outside rather than roasted...IMHO of course....

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1155880692/0#4 date=1155963646
            my prime concern is that its too quick....1st crack in 5 min.....which leads to beans burned on
            the outside rather than roasted...IMHO of course....
            Thats consistent with what Im getting -- recent 1st crack times are 4:30, 4:45; 4:22, 4:30.
            Thats for 150g batches. Earlier 120g batches had 1st crack around 5:40.
            All of these are with tilting to try to slow it down.

Having now exhumed our ancient Bakehouse breadmaker I may accelerate
            plans to try that method ...

thanks

Comment

I have to agree with 2mcm, the B&D Popper is too quick after purchasing and giving it a good go... I think the Fan is a wimpy one...On the look out for a Breville Crazy Popper.

I read on another post someone is doing 250g in 9 mins in the Crazy popper.. now thats awesome!

Comment

I just did my fist roast of a PNG Peaberry from my starter pack that arrived this morning.

I was looking for a heat gun yesterday but Bunnings were annoying and Hazel showed me a 100gm roast in her B&D after she did a 3kg roast in the commercial roaster.

It looked so easy in her popper that I decided Id start out that way.
                Got myself a Breville Crazy Popper from the Factory Outlet.
                Ill only be roasting in emergencies (running low and Hazel AWOL).

My timings are non-existant / rough.

Not sure about start of 1st crack but rolling stopped and I ended roast just shy of 5 minutes with 100gms of the PNG Peaberry.

There seem to be a few beans slightly lighter than the majority but mostly the batch looks OK.

What do you think?

With flash.

No flash.

Comment

Good one Thundergod!

Yep those beans look great .... a few slightly less roasted is not a bad thing as it can add to the overall flavour....

The proof will be in the cup in a couple of days.

Comment

Thanks JavaB.

Probably watching Hazel yesterday helped.
                    Ill probably be going to Vivianes for more input.

They dont smell very strong.
                    Would that be usual?

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1155880692/0#9 date=1161841035
                      They dont smell very strong.
                      Would that be usual?
                      Generally I find around a Full City roast (bit hard to tell from a photo - but thats my guess at your roast level) there isnt as much aroma..... but that also varies from bean variety to bean variety.

The aroma generally seems to get stronger towards a Vienna roast..... and after that it just smells like the beans have been burnt!!!! (Smokey charcoal)!!

I also have found the speed of the roast seems to make a difference to the aroma after roasting (probably because of the amount of volatile oils remaining on the surface of the bean......)

To be honest, I dont worry too much about the strength of the aroma..... I just wait patiently to see what they taste like in the cup..... Only ever had one really bad one (and I knew that before I tasted as Id pushed the roast quite a bit too far!!)

Comment

I seem to remember Hazel saying something about the speed of the roast not giving enough time to cook(?) (my word) the sugars(?).

Anyhow, fingers crossed, waiting patiently now to taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1155880692/0#11 date=1161845844
                          I seem to remember Hazel saying something about the speed of the roast not giving enough time to cook(?) (my word) the sugars(?).

Anyhow, fingers crossed, waiting patiently now to taste.
                          Yep, speed of roasting can be a problem

If you cook too slowly up to first crack.... the resultant coffee isnt as good (you "stew" the beans rather than roast them....) not a problem with a popper!

Around 200 deg you also start to caramelise the sugars.... if too slow you bake the beans.... at this point there must be enough heat so caramelising doesnt stall (beans absorb heat whilst the process is under way).
                          Too fast and the sugar and beans turn to charcoal before you can stop the process (again neither of these should be a problem with a popper)...

Will keep my fingers crossed for you - Im sure they will be good.

Comment

With the popper, especially in winter, you can almost never reach second crack with a certain batch size. You just need to find a happy medium.

You cant really turn an unmodded popper down to coast into 2nd crack. You have to adjust batch size and ambient temperature to do that.

If youve gotten yourself a heat monster with a weak fan, youll often have really quick roasts, and wont be able to roast very large batches. You need a popper with a really gutsy fan to help keep the heat gradient in check. Besides, you can roast much larger batches with a strong fan.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1155880692/0#8 date=1161837706
                              Good one Thundergod!

Yep those beans look great .... a few slightly less roasted is not a bad thing as it can add to the overall flavour....

The proof will be in the cup in a couple of days.
                              Im sure I mentioned this elsewherebut the first roast tasted good.
                              My wife liked it.
                              What more needs to be said.

And I just got back from the local mechanics workshop a few blocks from home.

They found a piece of SS tubing and flared the end a bit to fit my Crazy Popper a la grendels adventure.
                              Funnily enough I spotted a small Delonghi I think it was and a Vittorio cannister.
                              These guys are of Italian heritage and when I mentioned the coffee they said they go through a bit.

So also a la grendel, Ive promised to grind them some up late in the week, from the first batch with my new chimney, that Ill roast tonight.

Pics to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X