Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Convert to HG/BM Roasting - Large Post

Hi All,

Well..... Today I cast aside my trusty Popper Roasters and headed into HG/BM territory. Since I have a collection of small quantities of beans from many origins left over, but too small to use in any single roast batch, I decided that today was the day that it was about time that they contributed ever more to my ongoing education of the coffee roasting process. I had no option really, after reading of all the successes from other converts since Correttos original post, and that we have a BM sitting in the back of a cupboard doing nothing more than getting pushed further and further into the nether regions of our copious cupboard space.

So, out it (a Breville "Big Loaf" BM) came, back into the daylight whereupon it was set upon with much enthusiasm to install a Stirrer Motor By-Pass Switch (a Push-Button in this case) to allow the Stirrer to keep running beyond the 11-12 minute pre-programmed time that the unit defaults to for most recipes. This was a pretty straight forward job, just mount the switch on the rear of the BM in an inconspicuous location, and connect in parallel with the relay contact that is used to Start/Stop the Stirrer via the built in automation.

Heres a piccie of where I mounted it on the back of the BM (Red coloured square P/Button)...
    Notice the height that the Heatgun spreader is above the bread-pan.... Its not very obvious in the other photos.

And a piccie of the BM from the front...

And, my trusty bean cooler ready to cool down the first batch out of the BM

About 2 minutes in from the start of the roast...

Close to 5 minutes in...

8 minutes in and looking good. Dont worry about the apparent unevenness, theres at least 3 bean varieties in there...

10:30 in and 1st Crack getting under way...

12:25 and 1st Crack finished...

16:00 minutes in and about a minute from the end and cooling the beans...

All in all, I am really happy with the HG/BM concept and the manner in which the roast progressed..... Full kudos must go to Corretto (Belinda) for coming up with the idea and putting it into practice so successfully. Theres nothing like success to stir people into action , and especially in the world of we coffeesnobs.

I suppose the only con, if you can call it that, is that our BM has such a large bread-pan that 300 grams of beans seems like it barely covers the bottom of the pan. Since I like to blend most of my roasts, usually post-roast, I think I am going to have to hang on to the poppers for a little while longer yet, unless I can figure a way to do smaller batches in the BM without losing quality..... Maybe if I tilt the BM up on one end and just let one stirrer do all the work, will give it a go next time. Meanwhile, weve got 6-700 grams (pre-roast weight) of beans to get through so it wont be for a little while to come.

As we HG/BM converts have all said before, its a great way to roast and full credit must go to Corretto, this is definitely a winner and one hell of a lot less expensive than most other options with comparable batch size capacity. Hmmm, now where am I going to store all these roasted beans.....

Cheers,
    Mal.

Re: Latest Convert to HG/BM Roasting - Large Post

Looking good Mal. Was wondering how your modifications were coming.

No doubt we will hear how the tast tests go

Are there any spots in the middle of the 2 paddles where the beans dont get agitated much?

Maybe tilting the BM over to one side will help with smaller batches, but then maybe some beans will pool at the deep end and not get agitated enough .....

Glad to see youve joined the BM roasters club

Belinda

Comment

how are you suspending the HG Mal...(and others)?
      i need to sort a better method.

Comment

I tie my HG with wire to the lever end of a superautomatica bottle capper. Works a treat! easy to set the height and move up and down in small increments and easy to move back and forth, cause it just sits there on the ground, or where ever. See pictures from my original post .....

Belinda

Comment

Wicked Mal!

So good to see a the BM roasting moving forward... I have been eyeing our breadmaker-off for months but it still gets used for bread (weird eh!)

I know you mentioned that you prefer the small batch for your usage but I wonder how big a batch that monster could roast evenly?

Any thoughts of extending the paddles so that they cover more of the base (or more vertical height)?

Comment

Not a bad idea. I had a "what the *$%& do I do with this heat gun now?" moment after the roast was complete and I needed to get it out in a hurry to cool. Finding suitable places to place a stinking hot heat-gun in a hurry can be tricky.

Comment

Are there any signs of the teflon blistering? I only ask because at certain temps teflon degrades to some toxic nasties - I dont imagine this would be the case with the setups I have seen so far because temps that high would also scorch the beans. I however am clumsy as all hell and Id probably hate to rig up a retort stand to hold the heat gun or risk scorching the beans.

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1157557177/0#3 date=1157593272
                I tie my HG with wire to the lever end of a superautomatica bottle capper.  Works a treat!  easy to set the height and move up and down in small increments and easy to move back and forth, cause it just sits there on the ground, or where ever.  See pictures from my original post .....

Belinda
                Im doing that aswell at the moment, but my HG is set up a little different and is therefore annoying to tie up... although i havent tried wire. i might try and patch up something more dedicated to the cause..

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1157557177/0#4 date=1157594425
                  I know you mentioned that you prefer the small batch for your usage but I wonder how big a batch that monster could roast evenly?

Any thoughts of extending the paddles so that they cover more of the base (or more vertical height)?
                  Gday Andy,

Yeah, the mind boggles. Id say it would roast twice that amount with ease and in fact would probably do a better job with a larger batch. My small (300g :P) batch was getting tossed around like there was no tomorrow so more beans would probably settle that down a bit.... More beans might need a more substantial heatgun at some point though, mine is a 2000W Aldi Special that cost about $14 so no great loss if it karks it at some stage.

Actually, the paddles do a great job as they are... All the beans are agitated and swirled around the bread-pan pretty energetically and I dont think much needs to be done to them, probably not until the roast batches are approaching 750g-1Kg sort of quantities anyway. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

The most important part though is the brew. I just couldnt wait for another day to go by so knocked up a couple of brews for my son and me tonight...... In a word, bliss! A really enjoyable brew from a random mixture of left-over beans but needs to rest for another day or two to reach its best I think. Thanks to Corretto, its like starting out all over again from a completely different direction and definitely worth the experience.

Cheers All,
                  Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1157557177/0#1 date=1157591040
                    No doubt we will hear how the tast tests go
                    Hi Belinda,

I couldnt wait any longer to try them out, impatient sort of bugger really when it comes to tasting my hard won roasts :P. Pulled two shots tonight before my son went to work and they were absolutely delicious, really complex and lots of dark chocolate undertones.... I should have paid more attention to what and how much of each bean variety I bunged in to the mix but no matter .

Are there any spots in the middle of the 2 paddles where the beans dont get agitated much?
                    No, the beans get moved around very energetically as a matter of fact.... So much so I thought I was going to lose a few over the side, but luckily this didnt happen. I think with a batch about twice or more in size the mixing would be a lot more uniform and consistent and would probably lead to more consistent roasts. That being said though, the two roasts I completed are by no means inconsistently roasted, especially the first one which comprised a couple of Colombian beans and a couple of PNG varieties that I had left. The second roast was some Mandheling, some older East Timor, some Ethiopian Djima and a bit of old Tarratzu I had left. Piccies of samples from both roasts are below.....

First roast...

Second roast...

Maybe tilting the BM over to one side will help with smaller batches, but then maybe some beans will pool at the deep end and not get agitated enough .....
                    Yep,

Ill give that a go in a couple of days time... should be ok :-?

Glad to see youve joined the BM roasters club
                    And loving every minute of it ,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by KoNG link=1157557177/0#2 date=1157592838
                      how are you suspending the HG Mal...(and others)?
                      i need to sort a better method.
                      Hi KoNG,

Its almost too embarrassing to describe really. After scratching around to see what might do the job, dragged out an old chair from the garage which was just about the right height from the seat to the top of the BM. Placed both the BM and the chair on a table, the patio floor or garage floor would have been ok too. Then just fixed the heatgun into position with an occy strap wrapped around the chair seat and the heatgun. Just jiggled the heatgun until it was resting with the exhaust tip about level with the top of the BM bread-pan and then away I went .

Will have to knock up something a bit more purposeful and professional looking one day, you know... have to maintain the image of the adroit coffeesnob :P. Im not putting any urgency on that task just yet though, I wanted to try out the method and test the resulting brew before I got too carried away. Anyway, as you may have gathered, Im very impressed with both the method and the end product so its full marks all round from me.....

All the best,
                      Mal.

Comment

Mal,

Sent you a PM with some queries....

Looking forward to giving this a try.... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1157557177/0#6 date=1157596360
                          Are there any signs of the teflon blistering? I only ask because at certain temps teflon degrades to some toxic nasties - I dont imagine this would be the case with the setups I have seen so far because temps that high would also scorch the beans. I however am clumsy as all hell and Id probably hate to rig up a retort stand to hold the heat gun or risk scorching the beans.
                          Hi grendel,

Nope, no signs of blistering, or anything even remotely looking like it. As you say, I dont think the temperature in the bread-pan is anywhere near hot enough to have any deleterious effects on the coating. If anything, the constant agitation of the beans will most likely wear the coating off in time, but thats not a big concern either..... Itll soon build up a nice even coating of burned-on coffee oils and sugars, etc .

Since Ive got my heatgun supported on the seat of a chair and just held in place with an occy strap, its relatively easy and safe to just push it back up further along the seat to provide plenty of clearance for safe removal of the bread-pan when the roast is finished. When the next roast is ready to go, just pull the heatgun forward again until the exhaust tip is roughly level with the top of the pan and then hit the switch..... all too easy ,

Mal.
                          P.S.
                          Weve got two pans for our BM so dedicating one pan to coffee and the other to baking bread works out nicely and protects the credentials of the BM as a Dual-Purpose appliance .

Comment

Fantastic Mal, knew you would come over to the dark side.

I suspend my heat gun by chain from one of the rafters of my shed. Leave it there all the time.

Only took 2 roasts to get the height, heat, position right. That way I can move the breadmaker into the correct position.

I also have both plugged into a powerboard and when I want to cut the roast only have to switch one switch, grab the handle of the breadmaking basket, which surprisingly does not get hot, and tip into my colander.

Just love it, got to be the best thing since sliced bread, thanks Corretto!

Comment

Originally posted by rowdee link=1157557177/0#13 date=1157704824
                              Fantastic Mal, knew you would come over to the dark side.
                              Oh, I dunno rowdee,

I thought of it more as coming into the light, not the dark

Originally posted by rowdee link=1157557177/0#13 date=1157704824
                              Just love it, got to be the best thing since sliced bread, thanks Corretto!
                              I was waiting for someone to pop this into one of the BM threads.... Ive been resisting the temptation :P,

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X