Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a roasting newbie

Hi All

I have been looking into home roasting and wondering if you could suggest an Roaster for a newbie thats never done any roasting before.

I like what Ive read about the Hot Top but am put off by the $1000 price tag. The i-Roast 2 for just under $400 seems like a very nice unit that is simple to use.

Re: Suggestions for a roasting newbie

Most of us start with a cheap $20-40 popcorn popper - its a good learning tool without a big up front committment.

Plenty of info here too about how to roast with a popper.

Comment

I use an Imex CR 100 which I bought for (from memory) $120. I love the fact that I can be raosting inside on the kitchen bench while I do other things. Since I live a pretty busy life and dont have a heap of free time, thats important to me. Its also very easy to use.

But, it doesnt give you much control and its pretty noisy too.

Another thing that could be important! If you use the search button youll find helps of advice on the use of poppers and heat guns on this forum. Theres a little on the Imex, but not nearly so much. If advice and support from the forum is important to you, a popper (as Grendel suggests) or a heat gun could be the way to go.

PM if youd like more info on where I purchased my Imex.

Best wishes, Russell.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy_boy link=1159523146/0#0 date=1159523146
        Hi All

I have been looking into home roasting and wondering if you could suggest an Roaster for a newbie thats never done any roasting before.

I like what Ive read about the Hot Top but am put off by the $1000 price tag.  The i-Roast 2 for just under $400 seems like a very nice unit that is simple to use.
        Picking your roaster really does mostly come down to budget. The i-Roast is a great roaster with good control over the profile and a well sorted second generation machine its great value in its price bracket.

The Hottop and Gene Cafe are better roasters but do carry a beefy price tag.

Most of us started-out with heatguns and poppers as dirt-cheap low risk ways of trying roasting and we continue to upgrade until the next step is out of our budget (or too hard to hide from the better half!)

One thing is certain, whichever way you choose you will have fun and the results can be amazing!

8-)

Comment

Thanks for all your great suggestions everyone!

Ive found the supplier for the Imex.. and it seems like a great, inexpensive option.

Anyone know where you can get the Gene Cafe in Australia?

Comment

Hey Guys.. just to update you on the story of a roasting newbie...

(1) My GeneCafe arrived yesterday from UK and it only took 3 days to get here. I had the local appliance repair shop put a new plug on it and then set it up for the first roast.

(2) Here is a pic of my first roasting attempt using some Brazillian Santos from the Coffee Company (nice people and very helpful!)

(3) In the next post, Ive attached the results of my first roast.. I used the suggested prfile in the manual for City Roast 250deg for 17mins

Im not sure if Ive done it right as the beans have come out fairly dry.. not much in the way of natural oils and aroma.. they taste nice tho.. Cant stop munching on them! :P

Do you think it is a bit on the dark (over roasted) side?

Summing up...
            I have to say the Gene Cafe was extremely easy to use! The orbital action was mesmerising and I had a great time just sitting there watching the beans roast. I love the way it roasts the beans so evenly, I love the fact that it is QUIET and that it separates the chaff so easily. I highly recommend this machine to anyone wanting to give home roasting a go.

Comment

Here are the results...

Comment

Looking good there JB! Not too dark at all.

Oils and the likes normally take a few days to come out and possibly only if they are roasted darker than what you have done.

How long since the roast?

Brazilians are generally reasonably bland beans so you wont get too much in the way of flavour and punch out of them. Have a gander at the cupping room for more.

Belinda

Comment

Here is my second ever attempt at roasting. Im using the Brazillian Peaberry... my personal favourite at the moment for single origin.

This time around, I decided to try a longer/slower roast. I reduced the temp from 250 to 245 and roasted about 19mins. I think the result may be better... cant wait to extract it and taste! HOw long would you guys recommend leaving before extracting?

Comment

couldnt wait any longer.. i tried some of the peaberry and it was YUKKO bitter and very dark. I had to set the grinder 6 stops finer than I would normally to get a good extraction rate! I think maybe I burnt it???

Comment

Congratulations of the new roaster, jazzy_boy.

Did you have to go through any particular customs processes? I imported a bicycle frame from the UK and it came in duty free - simply arrived at my door with a courier. My partner imported a whole bicycle from the same place and we had to arrange customs clearance. It wasnt too complicated, but added to the cost.

How did all that work with your new roaster?

Best wishes, Russell.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy_boy link=1159523146/0#9 date=1160204131
                        couldnt wait any longer.. i tried some of the peaberry and it was YUKKO bitter and very dark. I had to set the grinder 6 stops finer than I would normally to get a good extraction rate! I think maybe I burnt it???
                        Generally it takes 24 to 48 hours for the flavour to develop.... longer for light roasts.

Yes, it might be a little over done - but generally you start to get a burnt charcoal flavour.... and the aroma from the roasted beans isnt as pleasant either!

Leave it for a day or so and check again..... it might improve!

Comment

While its developing, do I leave beans out in the open air? Or seal them in a container?

No problems at all with customs. The unit came via DHL courier - arrived in 3 days from sending. I signed for it and thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy_boy link=1159523146/0#12 date=1160207704
                            While its developing, do I leave beans out in the open air? Or seal them in a container?
                            They should be in something which will allow the gas to escape as they give off quite a bit (carbon dioxide) whilst they mature. There are proper "bags" made of aluminium foil with a one way valve which allows this gas to escape.

If I run out of the correct bags I put mine in a ordinary bag with elastic bands holding it closed so that the gas can escape..... seems to work OK .... and in a dry, cool dark place.

Heat, light and excess humidity destroy the flavour of the beans

Comment

Looks like you definitely tried the Peaburry too early. A bit hard to tell from the picture what colour they actually are, as there are shadows on the beans.

You really should wait 24 - 48 hours to degass as Java said and things should improve flavour and shot wise.

Here is a good link for bags

http://www.coffeeparts.com/coffeebags/bags.html

Belinda

Comment

Working...
                              X