Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!!heatgun mod to add life!!!!!

Please read disclaimer first! :-?

My heat gun died after 5 months and when my new one - A ryobi went into shock- thermal overload- I decided to make some mods. I bought a length of stainless pipe to lift the HG high above the heat that returns out of the corretto and some mesh to stop chaff getting into the air intakes. Check it out! Eight Bucks is all it cost! ;D

Disclaimer!
    Please read this important notice.
    Altering your heatgun may void a warranty! It may also cause serious damage to you or your family if they are anywhere close.
    It is good to get a licenced electrician to check it out first..

RH

Re: !!!heatgun mod to add life!!!!!

Rayzurhed...

Interesting idea.

I have, as Belinda did in her original corretto post, a fan blowing across the top of the bowl- straight at the HG....

This blows away the chaff and keeps the HG cool as...

So no problems so far.

Comment

Where did you buy the pipe?

Comment

Try some vacumm cleaner wand pipe. Caution - it gets hot

Comment

Sweet! Heat gun Bling! ;D

Comment

I bought the materials from a local metal fabrication factory.
            They were amused by my explanation of what I wanted it for...
            But the receptionist who had overheard us talking admitted that nothing should come between someone and their coffee. ;D
            RH
            btw- the guy looked for some aluminium but didnt have any in that diameter, yous guys on the North Island should do better probably.
            And- I tried the vacuum tube and it was too small... but I sat for a while contemplating a metal version of the dyson- cyclonic roasting!
            RH

Comment

I reckon a trip to my local custom exhaust Bling Merchant might be in order - after all they saw me right with popper bling. . .

Comment

Originally posted by rayzurhed link=1162241478/0#5 date=1162292415
                btw- the guy looked for some aluminium but didnt have any in that diameter, yous guys on the North Island should do better probably.
                I would avoid using aluminium as it is a major heatsink and could drasticly lower the temp of the air reaching the beans. :-/

Java "WooHoo!! More Bling!" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile link=1162241478/0#7 date=1162343911
                  I would avoid using aluminium as it is a major heatsink and could drasticly lower the temp of the air reaching the beans. :-/
                  Yeah... Ive got the same reservation with extending the nozzle with even SS..... There would be quite a lot of heat loss along that length of pipe and Belinda is already trying to modify her Corretto to get more heat into the beans.

Since using Belindas original setup Ive had zero problems with the HG. The fan blowing across the top of the BM and the HG works a treat. The HG stays really cool and as the smoke, chaff and hot air emerge from the bowl they are immediately blown away.... none get anywhere near the HG (except for right at the nozzle which is just below the top of the bowl.

The air from the fan flowing across the bowl reduces pressure inside the bowl (helps to suck out the chaff), draws the air from the HG into the bowl (assisting the puny fan in the HG) and you get maximum heat into the beans... where you want it!

The bling is a good look..... but not sure it will work as well as Belindas original idea- which works great!!

Comment

Just been thinking about the extension to the HG.....

This will add additional resistance to the flow of air through the heatgun (I dont use the diffuser nozzle for that reason)....

That will make the pathetic fan in the HG work harder and the airflow will be reduced.... less cooling of the heater element (but higher temp air coming out)....

So you might end up with the same temp air into the bowl (after heat loss along the tube) but the HG will get hotter..... not something which will extend its life

So Im sure Belindas original idea is the better way to go.... less restriction on the HG fan and because it will move more air (and its being supplied by cool air - not the hot air returning from the bowl) the inner parts of the HG will remain cooler.

There is no risk of chaff or smoke getting into the HG either.

Seems to be the way to go... I know my Ryobi stays real cool with this setup (and Im getting roast times of < 15 minutes).

Comment

They were amused by my explanation of what I wanted it for...
                      But the receptionist who had overheard us talking admitted that nothing should come between someone and their coffee
                      Very nice mod Razur.

So are you selling coffee to reception?
                      (or better still dropping some-off to build the future barter kudos?)

Comment

I am not sure if I will need to mod my Corretto any further!

I did a great 526 gram pre-blend roast tonight that turned out very nicely. I blogged the whole thing with lots of photos here: Grendels Green Coffee Blog

It is a Mt Elgon/Gunung Batur, 70/30 blend and it roasted fairly evenly, first crack at 10:30 and second started at 15.05 at which point I pulled the roast.

Here is a look at the result:

Comment

Mmmm,

Looks wonderful grendel..... Dont forget to let us know how it turns out in Blending Room ,

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                          X