Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam Cornelius popper

Hi guys,

interested roasting newb looking for poppers at low-low price.

went to salvation army stores looking for poppers, but they dont stock electrical appliances have not yet checked other op-shops and cash converters...

went around kmart, target, david jones, myer. the cheapest was the sunbeam cornelius popper, hovering around $33-35 mark. here it is... http://www.sunbeam.com.au/products/p...d=89&home_id=2

any one have experience with this one? either that or ill probably need to wait for some sales to get the breville crazy popper.

Re: Sunbeam Cornelius popper

I have seen the crazy popper for 29 dollars at Dick Smith. If you are in Sydney I know there is one at Macquarie

Comment

aww am in melbourne. hmm, will try out dick smith coffeechaser.

Comment

I have seen them in Myer as well but for 40 dollars instead. They dont seem that popular at the moment in retail stores.

Comment

You can get the generic poppers from places like "The Warehouse" for $15-$20 and they still have a warranty

...although not too sure that warranty covers roasting coffee beans.

(I wonder how long until the warranty disclaimer has not for CoffeeSnobs use)

Comment

The Breville factory outlets in Sydney have them for $29.

Ive just done a search for same in Melbourne.

Here you go:

Factory Outlets:
            Collingwood 427 Smith St 3066 (03) 9417 7126
            Huntingdale 261 Huntingdale Rd 3166 (03) 9543 8199

Give them a call first like I did in Sydney.
            Good luck.

Comment

hi all,

just an update on my journey to popperyness.

went to the breville factory outlet in collingwood. they didnt have any crazy poppers. but they did have kambrook popcorn factory ones. huntingdale is too far for me :P

no luck at the warehouse

however, i did manage to find one at super savers at sydney rd. mistral popper going for $14. looks ok. not sure if its any good.

from what i read in prev posts, a chimney is recommended? planning to mod with golden circle can. currently bloated with pineapple juice...

Comment

Chimney for sure! Will help you with bigger batch sizes and chaff removal. Bigger batch sizes will require you to give it a bit of a stir with a chopstick/wooden spoon at the start and than the popper should be able to do it all by itself. I think the crazy popper can handle up to 150-ish grams. Some experimentation for your machine may be in order. Dont go too big to start with though. If it is your very first roast probably pay to let it go right through all the roast stages until burnt so you get an idea of sounds and colour etc. Read through threads on popper roasting though, there are heaps of them. I am only new at the roasting thing myself but it is fun so far.
                Enjoy your new roasting hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by dailybean link=1162458612/0#6 date=1162724989
                  hi all,

just an update on my journey to popperyness.

went to the breville factory outlet in collingwood. they didnt have any crazy poppers. but they did have kambrook popcorn factory ones. huntingdale is too far for me :P

no luck at the warehouse

however, i did manage to find one at super savers at sydney rd. mistral popper going for $14. looks ok. not sure if its any good.

from what i read in prev posts, a chimney is recommended? planning to mod with golden circle can. currently bloated with pineapple juice...

Oh yeah - know that feeling! my first chimney was the unsweetend pineapple juice - did I have some acid gut from that!

Comment

great, guess what happened? my can opener died as i tried cutting out the can

setbacks, setbacks...

Comment

dailybean, listen carefully. There are dark and dangerous forces out there that will do whatever they can to stop you from making the greatest cup of coffee youve ever had. Many believe these forces are agents for Nestle and other companies who dont want you to realise the truth about their products.

Do not let these dark forces win. Get a new can opener, open that can, make that chimney, turn the popper on and ROAST THAT COFFEE.

Civilisation as we know it may depend on you......

Comment

*gasp* u mean there are such forces out to spoil my cup of coffee? i do admit, i was tempted to let the popper retire to entertaining guests with popcorn and blend 43 :-[

BUT, for the sake of humanity (well, me at least...) i went one better viviane. i carried my popper to the auto shop and fitted it with a very bling exhaust tip for its chimney. photos soon to appear 8-)

now am just waiting for my starter pack to arrive

may the bean be with you...

Comment

After grendel started the exhaust chimney thing, followed by me and you, well probably soon start seeing adds from the muffler guys saying they can custom fit all cars and poppers.

Comment

hehe. think ur right thundergod. in my search, i asked a mechanic at an auto shop - asked me, "what kind of car is it for?" to which i replied, "uhh... mistral". puzzled looks followed. heh.

anyways, heres the pic of my popper. is it *bling* or what? decided to go for the straight exhaust tip ooh and and... i got my starter pack today! cant wait to roast already!

Comment

As Custom Bling Master (self appointed?) I would like to welcome the new bling devotees and thank them for their excellent photographs.

Then god "Let there be Bling" and he saw that it was good, so damn good that he went on to create neon lights and fluffy dice. The fluffy dice were obviously a mistake however .

Comment

Working...
                              X