Roaster Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaster Advice Please

I dont want to jump right in and spend $100+ on a roaster and have read that many people use an air popcorn cooker like West Bend Poppery II. Im pretty sure I can find one at a thrift shop.
    Although we have an air convection cooker, a heat gun and a bread maker.

Has anybody tried using an convection air cooker? They are table top cookers with a large glass bowl and a removable top with a thermostat, timer and fans to blow air down and around into the bowl for cooking. They are usually called hot air convection ovens or cookers. Here is a link to one. http://www.kitchen-universe.com/detail.aspx?s=shopping&ID=702
    Ours goes up to 500 degrees.

comments please

thank you

Re: Roaster Advice Please

I have thought of using a convection or turbo oven. What I would like to know is if the fan is strong enough to move the bean mass enough. It will be interesting to see what people say. I notice 2muchcoffeeman (2mcm) has convection oven listed as part of his equpment list so he might be able to shed some light on the subject. :-?

Comment

The beans need continuous - and fast - agitation.

Those who have used turbo ovens (and a few have) had to drill a hole through the base and fit a stirrer inside (with a motor to drive it under the bowl) to keep the beans moving.

One Ive seen used the motor in a Bread Machine to drive the paddle.

The easier option is to use a bread machine and heatgun - AKA Corretto

See:
      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1154442377

Works a treat!!

Comment

Turbo ovens are a good heat source for a roaster, but you need 2 things: 1. something to agitate the beans (most US TO roasters use either a stir crazy base or a salton ufo base, as they both have a stirring mechanism). 2. a way for chaff/smoke to escape.

Turbo oven fans are not strong enough to move the beans around.

My current project uses a TO, 12" stock pot, and a wiper motor (as soon as I can get one). I foresee an issue to overcome, which is getting the beans out when the roast is done.

Comment

I would recommend the bread machine and heat gun over a turbo oven. The BM/HG can do much larger and more even roasts than a TO can.

Java "Hhhmmm...Fresh roasted beans!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
          X