H G plus X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H G plus X

This is in the nature of a general inquiry. I have read through the posting os HG and BM and it makes sense. Being that I am new to this, I gather that the point of being crative in all this is to avoid payin the big bucks for a home roster. Im with you there.

What is you want to roast in bigger batches than a BM can handle? I see that 24 % of hg users use other than a bm combo. I am interesed in what other people are using and what the resulst are.

I am leaning toward using my large slow cooker, turing it on to high, and combing this with a HG. What do you think?

Keith

Re: H G plus X

Will you manually stir the beans yourself.

Im mechanically inclined....major in mechanical engineering (and japanese) and am planning to make a contraption similar to arcticroasters setup with a colander, motor (he uses a drill - connected via mechano wheels), gears and heat gun

Comment

You might have missed the point with the bread maker -- people arent using them to heat the beans, but just to stir them, while the heat gun does the roasting. I use a heat gun myself, but just with a stainless steel bowl to hold the beans, and a wooden spoon to stir them. Heat guns are pretty powerful, so you really need to keep those beans moving while theyre roasting to get an even roast, and for me that means a whole lot of stirring at the moment! With the bread maker, usually set on a kneading cycle or something similar that turns the little paddle at the bottom of the maker without actually heating, the stirring is taken care of for you.

Most people not using a bread maker are probably doing what Im doing -- its a very common technique, and Im pretty happy with how it works. There are definitely limits to how much you can roast at once with a heat gun though, just due to the limits on the amount of heat it puts out. Ive heard of people placing their bowls over another heat source (like a BBQ) to add extra heat, and perhaps you could do something similar with your slow cooker, but Im not too familiar with these kinds of setups.

Comment

beanhere - welcome!

How much at a time did you want to roast?

Some of the HG/BM users here are doing 500g +.

Comment

Hi Keith and Wushoes,

I havent tested my HG + "cement mixer" rotating bowl setup (aka HG/iRB) (see http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?nu...8191;start=all) yet in terms of max payload, but I estimate it would be also in region of 500+g or so (for my particular bowl choice, at least 500g fit comfortably).

There seem to be enough reserves in the HG (I use max 65% power for 300g), so the gas heat from below is likley not needed. But the reason I installed it was to be able to alternatively emulate drum-style roasting, ie relying more on conduction&radiation then on convection as in air roasters and for larger roasts (I wasnt using heat retention in beginning and was worrying a bit about the heat reserves for 500g roasts for fast 1st crack). So in way you get 2 roasters in one design, drum and air, if thats what you want. But gas is not tested and cupped against the HG only roasts yet (one day, one day.. :).

Even though I used Meccano set, one could replace it also by these metal boards & tapes used in wood construction, i.e. stuff like these examples:
          http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Product.aspx?id=388195
          http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Product.aspx?id=388197
          Here in Scandinavia its easy to get this in most hardware stores. I used the tape e.g. for the vanes.

Watch out for the heat conduction in the axle (bowl temp up to 250 ... 270 deg at the uppr end of axle) , ie dont connect any plastic or temp vulnerable ball bearings or stuff like it! I use a very thin axle, so it conducts little heat, also supported by small cooling fins.

But of course the HG/iRB construction takes much more effort to plan, collect all the bits & pieces (unless you have Meccano set) and finally to assemble than eg HG/BM and this with (so I conjecture) not much extra benefit in terms of roast quality & size, perhaps the only goody is the possibility for dual [gas] heating and *maybe* more heat reserves due to strong convection and much agitated beans for larger roasts for agressive roast profiles.

All the best to your roaster design,
          Peter

P.S. Dont build it too fast, the biggest fun is to think about the "perfect roaster" (for you  ), peruse on WWW all the cool designs and finally experiment yourself. Once it works, well then its just roasting twice per week and thats all whats left to do, oh my

Comment

Hi Arcticroaster,

how are you able to unattach the colander from the driving/motor mechanism? Can you do it quicky after you have ended a roast to cool the beans?

Comment

Thanks for your reply. We are both new at roasting but you are obviously more mechanically inclined. Your set up looks great. Why the colander ? Would a fully enclosed container retain heat better? or is it to avoid heat blowing back in your face? This give me more to think about and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1168068220/0#5 date=1168135865
                Hi Arcticroaster,
                how are you able to unattach the colander from the driving/motor mechanism? Can you do it quicky after you have ended a roast to cool the beans?
                Hi Wushoes,
                I have to unscrew the coupling with this standard drill lock (dont know the word for it in English), you see it here in pic waiting handily on the right next to upper tire.
                This process takes only few seconds, then I take the whole contraption and poar the beans into the cooling colander (no gloves required, just grab the bottom frame). This small delay is a non-issue in my opinion, I once saw a video of the unloading of a Diedrich drum roaster and compared to the times it takes me to get the beans into the cooling colander this lasted forwever.

But, smarter would be to make the construction so that you could swing the whole inverted "V" frame forward for unloading, including the shaft with the large tooth wheel, but leave the worm-wheel + tires fixed and always connected to the drill. This way you could unload the beans similar to the drum-forward-swinging known from drum sample roasters.

I noticed you are working on a drum-in-grill design, I think there you need to worry much more about the unloading times ... and also probably to have some good gloves handy

Cheers, Peter

Comment

Originally posted by beanhere link=1168068220/0#6 date=1168154181
                  Why the colander ? Would a fully enclosed container retain heat better? or is it to avoid heat blowing back in your face?
                  Keith
                  Hi Keith,
                  you are right, there could have been probably alternative vessels - inspirations could be gotten from looking at, er ..., cement-mixres: http://www.constructioncomplete.com/...tarMixers.html

I used the bowl, as the bean bed is then thin and will be nicely agitated by the vanes for a wide range of loads from few grams to 1/2 kg. This gives high surface-to-volume ratios, making heat transfer modes (which are always surface mechanisms) more effective.

Later I added the lid, it just rests on the vane mountings, so it comes automatically off as I backoff the HG at the end of the roast ==> no delays getting rid of the lid.

OK, I got these holes in the bowl & lid, that helps smoke and smaller chaff to escape, without loosing to much heat (even with 100% sealed vessel you loose a lot of heat from convection and radiation, I doubt the holes make difference. If you are worried about it , you should consider an outer enclosing like for drum smaple roasters.
                  The holes were also very handy to attach the vanes with screw ==> no drilling required.  However, when using the gas firing option, I dont think the holes are a big help. This is similar to the solid vs perforrated drum debates ... .

More pictorial information about the whole evolution of this design can be found here:
                  http://www.johnspics.1g.fi/kuvat/Peter/BigEar/

Cheers Peter

Comment

If youre looking for something simple - Ive had mine going for a fair long while now... heres the origional link.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?nu...2303;start=all

Im even thinking about adding ANOTHER HG to it! To power thru the winter months!

Comment

Working...
                    X