Rotisserie roasting (electric oven)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotisserie roasting (electric oven)

Okay I have searched the forums for roasting with an electric oven and a rotisserie and drum.

Does anybody have any experiences they can share....tips?

I have just bought the Mistral Bellini toaster oven with rotisserie. All I need is to get a drum for it. I just purchased a display one from Target for $50 because it was missing a grill rack! It retails for $150...what a bargain...I just had to take it.

The problem I see with this is that there is no fan to force out the smoke and the chaff might fall on top of the element and burn causing even more smoke. Maybe some wire mesh is in order to stop it from falling on top of the element and burning causing smoke.

I have measured the dimensions and it although it is a 16L oven....the rotisserie motor isnt located smack bang in the middle....it is just slightly higher above centre.

The drum cant be any longer than about 20cm...even though the rod is 30cm long. The radius cant be any higher than like 7.5cm or diameter of 15cm.

With these dimensions it corresponds to a volume of around 1.8L. Not sure how much beans I should fill a drum like this with.

Seems very small indeed....but a more complete and alternative to BM/HG setup...

Also...I measured the RPM of the oven....it is...drum roll................a whopping 2.5 RPM! Seems very slow indeed.....perhaps too slow for roasting coffee? Any ways to get the motor to run faster? This RPM may even drop down to 2 or 1.5 RPM once the rod is loaded with a drum and beans.

So lets get the ball rolling....coffee roasting using an electric oven with rotisserie and drum

Cheers,

David

Re: Rotisserie roasting (electric oven)

Sounds like too many shortcomings to overcome by modification.

The oven is designed to cook slowly at presumably a low to mid-range heat.

How would it handle high heat for about 15 minutes?

2.5 RPM is extremely slow. I dont use the chicken rotisserie motor on the barbecue roaster because at 16 RPM THAT is below par.

Good luck,

--Robusto

Comment

Hey Wushoes,

Welcome to the world of cheap rotisserie ovens.  Ive been roasting in one for two months now and they work a treat.  See this post by dkelly60.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1150630717  

It gives a great explanation of the concept (simple though it may be).  You can make a cheap one from a chocolate milk tin or instant coffee tin with metal fly screen (need a pop riveter)  I didnt bother wrapping wire around the drum but used extra rivets down the fins.  It sounds crappy and less than sophisticated than a SS drum, but the advantage over stainless drums is that you get a decent window through the wire screen to see the beans while they are roasting.

I do small roasts 100 -150g and they take anywhere between 10 to 16 mins to 1st crack.  The small amount of chaff just falls to the bottom in between the elements (no burning) and its vacuumed up after each roast.

The ovens are virtually silent so you can here every pop and snap.  I normally take a good book and a comfy chair when I roast,  You dont need to concentrate too hard for the first 7-8 mins.  Happy roasting! ;D

Matthew

Comment

Cool! The oven goes up to 250 deg C, but I assume leaving the door open for smoke to escape.....losses to the environment will be massive. But hopefully should still make the drum heat to atleast 140 deg.....or something like that.

Gotta get in to contact with Chris (2MCM) to get a drum made up...but im thinking of using a milo tin for now

Comment

Wushoes,

What do you plan to do at 140 deg? That isnt anywhere near hot enough.

Comment

I meant around 240ish....not sure on exact temps. Will do some research tonight on exact roasting methods and temps required.

Oven only goes to 250 deg C....May leave the oven door partially open to allow smoke to escape but trying to keep most of the heat in.

Comment

Hi,

Dont bother leaving the oven door open.  The small crack at the top of the door opening lets out the very, very small amount of smoke.  My oven only goes to about 220-230 C when I measure it with a cheap oven thermometer.  It seems to be enough.  I suspect any less than about 200 C wouldnt be hot enough.

Good luck,
              Matthew

Comment

Off to modify a 750gram milo tin which fits the rotisserie perfectly....I think :P

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1168154311/0#7 date=1168158738
                  Off to modify a 750gram milo tin which fits the rotisserie perfectly....I think :P
                  Ah yes, the old milo tin. Mines been in service now for almost 2 years, and still works well. The lid snaps on and is prised off easily with a screwdriver to empty out the roasted beans.

From my recollection, I drilled row after row after tedious row of holes along the curved tin so the beans would roast instead of bake. About 400 of them, I think.

If you can place a hardwood block inside while you drill, it cuts down on burrs and make for a smoother drum in which the beans can be agitated.

Oh yes, to agitate them, three pieces of aluminium angle iron about 20 mm x 20 mm are perfect, and easily rivited on.

Be prepared to go through a couple of drill bits in the process. ;D

But once again, make sure your oven doesnt go into meltdown with the 200º+ temperature required.

-Robusto

Comment

Can you post a picture for reference?

How hard is it to see the beans inside the tin???

Heres what I have so far.....just a tin! :P

Comment

A blank canvass on which to start your artistic endeavour.....

Here is the milo tin drum roaster....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...to/roaster.jpg

Comment

Im an engineer not the arty farty creative type

Comment

Seeing through the holes is very difficult, either with the drum rotating or stationary. The chaff tends to obscure the true colour of the beans.

Which is why I time the roast.....time first crack, then use some very calculated guesswork as to when to stop. Usually approx 2.30 mins after the first few snaps, perhaps even to the start of second crack.  

The system always delivers evenly roasted beans.  I do 400 gram batches, but it will take more.

I cant seem to direct post pics from my own computer, but heres another, of the three vanes:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/robusto/vanes.jpg

Comment

How big is your Milo tin?

I just want to get an idea of how much I can roast in it....maybe I should limit myself to about 300g as I think the oven may be a touch weak.

The oven is rated at 230v-240v and 1500-1630W. I assume it will operate at 1630W at full power as we run on 240v? Is this strong enough? There are two straight elements on the top and bottom.....so a total of 4 elements.

Comment

Obviously a gas barbecue will produce more than enough heat....but the greater the bean mass, the longer it will take to roast. You are right.

My arbitrary 400 gram limit is due NOT to physical constraints, but the desire to keep roasted beans fresh until fully consumed. Approx a week.

-Robusto

Comment

Working...
                              X