TOP roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOP roaster

I finally got around to getting to an auto wrecker. Picked up a nearly new wiper motor for $20 bucks. Funny enough, its from a SV-21 Camry (which means I now have a spare for my car). Anyways, I brought it home and hooked it up to an old PC power supply. Works like a charm! Took the arm off, and screwed an extended shaft onto the motor. Put a collar on the shaft beneath the pot, and another one inside the pot, complete with stirring arms (from a rotisserie set, just straightened the meat holders, and added a single coathanger arm to get into the corner of the pot.

I decided that its maiden batch would be 500g. I looked around my stash to see if I had anything near 500g. Ended up with 500g of last years Tarrazu. Gave the motor a bit of a dry run, without any heat, just to see if the stirring arms worked satisfactorily. The four shorter arms sweep beans around the middle of the bottom of the pot, and the single coathanger sweeps the edge.

I figured smoke would have difficulty escaping, so I drilled a small hole near the top of the pot (will have to drill some more, as smoke still didnt escape enough for my liking). Sat the TO on top of the pot and turned it on. The roast progressed nicely, I could clearly see the development of colour as the roast went on. Only downside was that it was a bit noisy, so hearing the cracks was very difficult. I could make out 1st, but 2nd was way to quiet. Pulled the roast at the 16 minute mark, and the beans were just rolling 2nd. Dumped them in the colander, and gave them a shake in front of the fan to get rid of the chaff. The beans finished cooling, and I set them down to continue cleaning up, when the container tipped over. Beans were everywhere Vacuumed them up, and spent 15 minutes sifting out leaves, sticks, and rocks.

Im still impressed with the results, very even. Next batch Ill try to remember to take some pictures. No problems with lack of heat from the turbo oven. The pot doesnt quite fit exactly with the lid of the turbo oven, but the next sized pot would be way too deep to be practical.

I wanted something that could do at least 500g/batch, and Ive got one now. 8-)

Re: TOP roaster

pic please!

been meaning to get me a similar motor myself for my TO setup. cordless drill is just too fiddly. i have a similar problem with noise too. hard to hear them cracks audibly.

sorry to hear about the spillage. ah well. these things happen.

Comment

Sounds like a good, funcional engineering job, Nunu. Looking forward to reading (and seeing) more.

Well done, Robusto

Comment

Functional, yes, engineering, I wouldnt go that far. The wooden stand is a shocker. Ill also have to fashion some sort of bracket to hold the motor in place. Its still a very capable roaster, just a bit on the ugly side at the moment. Both the stand and motor bracket will be on my list of improvements, along with better smoke removal. The chaff issue isnt too much of a worry, nothing a few passes in front of a fan cant fix.

Comment

i read you hooked the wiper motor up to an old PC power supply. i was thinking of doing the same and additionally, use the old PC atx case as the stand/bracket.

not sure if itll fix/work or even look nice tho :-/

Comment

Heres the pictures everyones asking for.

This is the motor, complete with shaft and bottom collar.

Comment

Now for the shocking base. Seems me using a handsaw results in crooked pieces of wood. Funny enough, the top of the base is level. : PC power supply is on the left of the base. Motor is currently not bracketed down, the leg of the base keeps it in place!

Comment

Heres the roaster with the pot on the base. Its simply a 15L SS stockpot I got from BigW for about 12 bucks. The next size up is a massive 19L. The lid will fit perfectly, but the pot is too deep.

Comment

Pic of the agitator. The meat holders from a rotisserie kit work perfectly when straightened out. Added a coathanger to get all the way to the corner.

Comment

Roaster complete. TO is a Tiffany brand I picked up for about 85 bucks.

Comment

Very impressive job there nunu....

My only suggestion is (depending on the output power of the TO) you might have to insulate that rather large SS container. Most TO are about half the power of a HG.

You will lose a lot of heat radiating from that surface - even the bowl of my BM stays a lot cooler than the mass inside because of the heat it radiates.

Look forward to pictures of the first roast.

Comment

Ask and you shall receive. Roast is city+.

Just cupped the batch after 2 days rest. Vastly different to the same bean roasted in a popper. Much more earthy, less bright. Bit better body as well. Definitely brings out more/better characteristics of the coffee.

The TO is 1400W, in between a popper and a HG. It has no trouble with 500g batches, but insulation may become an issue if I try to push the max load (which is currently unknown). The roasting chamber is nearly sealed, with only a couple of holes for smoke to escape.

The pot still needs a good seasoning, which may help insulate as well.

Comment

Hey looking good!!

Yep, slower roasting does produce a different, and IMHO better flavour in the cup. This is more noticeable with some bean varieties than others. If you like brightness... then poppers are better.

1400W is pretty respectable (many are <1000W) so you may well be lucky. But as you said, if you hit the limit then insulation is always an option.

Comment

Looks good, Nunu. Your beans are very evenly roasted. Sure must beat manual stirring.

-Robusto

Comment

Sure beats 5 batches in the popper too. The popper still has its place, but mainly for samples/blending.

Comment

Working...
                              X