Gene Cafe V Hottop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Cafe V Hottop

im thinking of buying a domestic roaster to help take the hassle out of roasting. ( I dont have a shed so its all done indoors) at the moment im using a popper but the small batch sizes and mess from no chaff collection are a pain. I would also like something that will give repeatability and consistency so that once I work out an ideal profile for a particular bean I can record it in a book and do it time and time again exactly the same.

So my question is which one is better and why?
    -How does batch size effect profile, (ie if im sampling 80gm and find a profile that im happy with, how hard is it going to be to replicate it at 250 or 300gm?

-size? I live in a small unit with few cubbords and no garage.
    -cooling, I understand the the Gene does not cool as well but are there ways around this?
    -construction? I dont belive that just because something has lots of chrome it is better.
    -Wife Factor? important.

cheers for you help Sam

Re: Cafe Gene V Hottop

oh yea I forgot to ask most importantly which produces a superior tasting brew?

Comment

The Hottop still needs to be used outside as you get a fair bit of smoke... the GeneCafe is better suited indoors... However, I would prefer the Hottop purely because the cooling cycle on the Gene is a tad too long (again, this is personal view - others may think differently)... Having said this, I dont have either but I have seen them operate side by side.

Comment

Having never used the GeneCafe, I cant really comment on that one...

Ive found the Hottop to be great, and repeating a roast is dead easy. I dont have a shed / garage to roast in either, so I just make sure I roast next to the kitchen window. There is still a bit of smoke that lingers, but hey, whos complaining about the smell of freshly roasted coffee
        If its still too smokey though, you could try having a fan blowing the smoke out the window, might help a bit more.

The unit itself is fairly big, but again Im not sure how this compares to the GeneCafe.

As far a build quality goes, I dont think you could go wrong with the Hottop. Not everything from Taiwan is cheap and nasty!!

The cooling cycle / tray is also great, hard to imagine not having it once youve used it.

I hope this goes someway to aswering your questions MM.
        I certainly havnt looked back since getting the Hottop

Comment

Having variously owned an Alpenrost, a Hottop digital and now 2 x Gene Cafe, Im sold on the Gene.

At the last bean pickup day we did a shootoff of the Hottop v Gene cafe and presented the outcome/s to Peter Wolff (who has roasted a few greens in his time ). Peter did not view the roasts but commented that the beans from the Gene were more evenly roasted- through the bean and with no tipping (unlike the hottop). He liked the Gene so much that he purchased one to use as a second sample roaster for the business.

The hottop struggles to do back to back roasts- simply dumping beans at 24 min (if you add time), whether you like it or not. When the ambient temp is up, sometimes this is before 2nd crack. Used with these limitations in mind, it is a good roaster though.

Yes, the cooling cycle is longer on the Gene and some worry that its too slow. I used my cooling bucket for the first few roasts, and then ditched it. The hottop has the edge here.

The result in appearance as well as in the cup is superb and I am getting better results without a doubt from the Gene Cafe. A further bonus is that the Gene cafe is $250 cheaper and does not rely on replacable filters...

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1172542028/0#4 date=1172546102
            A further bonus is that the Gene cafe is $250 cheaper and does not rely on replacable filters...
            This is what would sway me towards to GeneCafe indeed. Good point 2mcm. The hot top is a pricey beast indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1172542028/0#2 date=1172542948
              The Hottop still needs to be used outside as you get a fair bit of smoke... the GeneCafe is better suited indoors... However, I would prefer the Hottop purely because the cooling cycle on the Gene is a tad too long (again, this is personal view - others may think differently)... Having said this, I dont have either but I have seen them operate side by side.
              Having been distracted by my 2yr old just around the time of second crack in one of my earlier roasts, I now do all my roasting outside with my GC - it safer :-[ :-[ !!! Its quite a light machine, so I just set my table up somewhere outside and start roasting away - I usually keep my GC packed in its box.

The cooling cycle doesnt bother me at all - I have adjusted my roast time accordingly. I now set my roasting time for just over 15 mins, and I can come back about 25 mins later and my beans are roasted and waiting for me. I find repeatability is quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrtle link=1172542028/0#6 date=1172547833
                [link=1172542028/0#2 date=1172542948]

The cooling cycle doesnt bother me at all - I have adjusted my roast time accordingly.  I now set my roasting time for just over 15 mins, and I can come back about 25 mins later and my beans are roasted and waiting for me.  I find repeatability is quite good.

You are very right Myrtle

Thanks for your comment.

Serge

Comment

Re: Gene Cafe V Hottop

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1172542028/0#0 date=1172542028
                  -Wife Factor? important.
                  My Hottop makes an excellent wife.  

Comment

Originally posted by Baristacrat link=1172542028/0#8 date=1172574266
                    Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1172542028/0#0 date=1172542028
                    -Wife Factor? important.
                    My Hottop makes an excellent wife.  
                    As much as I love my roaster, I dont love it that much! ;D

Comment

Having a hot wife is important to some.

Seriously, its whats inside that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1172542028/0#10 date=1172577571
                        Having a hot wife is important to some.

Seriously, its whats inside that counts.
                        What do you mean by that Nunu.

I need a picture

Serge

Comment

Okay, heres a picture.

Keep scrolling down.

Just a little further.

Almost there.

Here you go...

Comment

HOOHAH!..... THIS IS THE ONE ;D

Thank you NUNU for that

Comment

so I got my gene cafe today from 2mcm did a roast this arvo with the beans that 2mcm sent with the machine. (A pleasant surprise that I wasnt expecting. Thanks ) I hit the cool button a little earlier then recomended because they were getting darker then I usually like and were about a minute into rolling second crack. Im yet to play a bit more with it but so far im happy especially with the ease of use compared to setting up the popper with the back door open and a cooling fan and broom to sweep up after and a colander to cool with all to do less then a 100gm batch if I wanted anymore then a 5minute roast. the gene is a dream.

Comment

Working...
                              X