Top Gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Gun?

Bought a popper last week and already frustrated with small amounts so bought a heat gun (ozito) today - (2000w). Gently placed a good handful of beans in a decent size s/s colander and the rest is history. Generally the beans are an even colour and I dont really mind the slight variation that has resulted.

Is there a coffeesnob top gun and do you have any tips...I need to be very careful about my coffee stash till next months delivery!!!

Re: Top Gun?

Hope your Ozito gun proves satisfactory for a long time.
    Personally, Im not impresed by Ozito tools. They have a cheap look about them.

My wife bought me an Ozito battery drill some years ago -- and it wouldnt work, so straight back to the shop, refund, and never bought that brand again.

The colander -- dont you lose heat through the holes? Ive never done heat gun roasts, but I thought roasters use a solid container.

--Robusto

Comment

Ive used an Ozito heat gun for 6 months now. It isnt too bad though you need to keep the vents free of chaff, and it will need to cool down between batches after the second one. I suppose the 3 year warranty will mean that you get to exchange them at least once.

robusto, I use a s/s colander inside a s/s bowl, with a s/s whisk to keep the the beans moving.  It works very well - a lot of the chaff as well as any small stones fall through the holes of the colander.  Id also guess that there is a bit of insulating going on between the colander and bowl, keeping some heat in.  

Comment

thanks to both of you for your comments - while its not a makita ($140), for $35 the ozito was too hard to go past...and Im an ex-tradie.

Viviane - thanks for the tip re the whisk...hadnt thought of that! hmmm...we keep bumping into each other ;0

Comment

Hi Dennis,

When I roasted with the stainless steel bowl and heat gun I used a wooden spoon to stir the beans, it didnt conduct heat which was good and beans didnt get caught in it. It did go black of course!

I didnt worry about a colander inside the bowl, the bowl by itself worked really well and gave good even roasts.

Comment

thanks Geoff!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1172991191/0#0 date=1172991191
              Is there a coffeesnob top gun and do you have any tips...I need to be very careful about my coffee stash till next months delivery!!!
              Gday Dennis,

A collection of heatgun descriptions from owners can be found here.....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal - I appreciate the info!

Comment

thanks to everyone who contributed - I think Ive had enough feedback and would close this off now...if only I knew how!

Comment

Ok, thanks to Lucinda I rushed out and bought a thermothingy and finally worked out (no thanks to the Engrish insterunctions) which wire went where and where to turn the dial...I know Im dramatising a bit, but its late.

As I use a colander in an ss bowl and balloon whisk, where do I put the wirethingy so that it takes a decent reading and doesnt get damaged by the whisk?

ps. I am beginning to get callouses on the palm of my hand from shaking the beans in the wire-mesh bin when I cool them down

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1172991191/0#9 date=1174740300
                      Ok, thanks to Lucinda I rushed out and bought a thermothingy and finally worked out (no thanks to the Engrish insterunctions) which wire went where and where to turn the dial...I know Im dramatising a bit, but its late.

As I use a colander in an ss bowl and balloon whisk, where do I put the wirethingy so that it takes a decent reading and doesnt get damaged by the whisk?

ps.  I am beginning to get callouses on the palm of my hand from shaking the beans in the wire-mesh bin when I cool them down
                      My DMM has a probe, about 8cm long. I point the heatgun to one side of the colander, and have the probe pointing away from me into the beans on the other side. The whisk pushes the beans from the heatgun around onto the probe, but isnt likely to damage it. The biggest problem is that there is a lot of heat around towards the end of the roast, I usually wind up holding the whisk at the tip (memo to self - buy a longer whisk) and if Im not watching out, the top of the probe will move a little closer to the heat. The plastic at the top of the probe isnt particularly heat proof, and is looking very sad these days. Still takes the temperature accurately though. Ive ordered a thermocouple to replace the probe, it should be in this week, and Im planning to run it between the s/s bowl and the colander and feed it through one of the colander holes into the beans.

A couple of teatowels to hold the mesh bin will help a lot - it gets way too hot to use my bare hands.

Comment

Thanks Viviane - I was thinking of feeding the probe through one of the colander holes. My main concern was that I visualised the whole lot melting. I guess that isnt too important and now, I can always blame you if it does :P

I think we must have different basket shaking techniques - there is no way my hands would get hot...I get into a rythm - best way I could describe it is that its a bit like how a chef would toss the food in a saucepan

Comment

Originally posted by Viviane link=1172991191/0#10 date=1174743300
                          ...  The biggest problem is that there is a lot of heat around towards the end of the roast, I usually wind up holding the whisk at the tip (memo to self - buy a longer whisk) and if Im not watching out, the top of the probe will move a little closer to the heat.
                          You could always do what I did. I wrapped my bamboo sushi mat around the handle and popped some elastics around it. This gave me an extra long handle that insulates as well.

Comment

Thats a different looking whisk julsa.
                            From where did you obtain it?

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1172991191/0#13 date=1174901574
                              Thats a different looking whisk julsa.
                              From where did you obtain it?
                              yeah TG - reminds me of the orgasmatron!

Comment

Working...
                              X