Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville bm 280 qusetions

Hi All,

This is my first post after a while lurking...
    I have a breville bakers oven bb280 and would like to try roasting in it, however it seems to pause for 3 seconds twice per minute in all knead cycles >
    Does anyone know whether this pause is long enough to burn beans/stuff up the roast?
    Any other experiences of this model?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Re: Breville bm 280 qusetions

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Have a looke at this post:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1167044721/0#0

Flo and steve both have the BB280.

Maybe you could send them a PM and ask about their experiences so far.

According to steves post though, the pausing stops after a while.
    maybe you should try running a bit longer and see what happens.

Heres another post by steve:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1166671954/0#0

Comment

Thanks TG

Have seen those posts but I cant seem to find a setting which provides constant agitation. From my initial tinkerings, all the programs seem to pulse for a couple of minutes, then constant for 3.5 mins, then 27 secs agitation plus 3 secs pause and so on. Im wondering if this is "constant enough", or whether theres a trick Im missing?

Comment

You will have to get around that pulsing. Unfortunately that will produce burnt beans.

But as above this problem must have been got around. Probably the BM was modified.

Belinda

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1176975737/0#3 date=1176982324
          You will have to get around that pulsing. Unfortunately that will produce burnt beans.

But as above this problem must have been got around. Probably the BM was modified.
          Yeah thats right Belinda,

Most Breville BMs seem to be set up like this except for a couple of the later fully programmable ones which allow you to customise most available settings. More than likely you are going to have to get a sparky to wire in an extra switch that connects in parallel with the existing motor relay and then you can run it continuously and quite separately from the main control panel.

Mal.

Comment

Hi guys.

Sorry Mal and Belinda, but Im going to have to disagree with you on the burnt beans statement (at least that is my experience).

Dave check your PMs.

I use my BB280 on its dough cycle and I dont add heat until the initial intermittent agitation stops. The pausing that occurs later on is of no real concern and has not had the effect of producing burnt beans. My roasts have been even in colour except for varietals like Mandhelings.

I should also add that I point my HG into the opposite corner from the TC probe and not directly into the centre of the bean mass.

Comment

I did get a PM from Dave. I have attached a photo of the bread maker to make sure it is the same. Once it gets going it does run continuously for about 20-30 minutes (havent timed it). It does take a few minutes to get going. I normally start the bread maker first and then go and measure the beans etc.

Sometimes I start the roasting before the bread maker is running continuously. I havent found it burns the beans. However, once it paused when I was about 15 minutes into the roast. In this case it didnt burn the beans but it brought on 2nd crack straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo link=1176975737/0#5 date=1177245671
                Sorry Mal and Belinda, but Im going to have to disagree with you on the burnt beans statement (at least that is my experience).
                No worries Flo,

This is NOT the case with my Breville BM and quite a few other models that I know about, e.g. quite a few of them (in the dough cycle) pulse the stirrer for 2-3 minutes then stir continuously for another 10-12 minutes, not enough time unfortunately so these models do need to have the additional switch wired in, to independently operate the stirrer motor. It is really just these particular models to which I directed my comment above ....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1176975737/0#7 date=1177420909
                  Originally posted by Flo link=1176975737/0#5 date=1177245671
                  No worries Flo,

This is NOT the case with my Breville BM and quite a few other models that I know about, e.g. quite a few of them (in the dough cycle) pulse the stirrer for 2-3 minutes then stir continuously for another 10-12 minutes, not enough time unfortunately so these models do need to have the additional switch wired in, to independently operate the stirrer motor. It is really just these particular models to which I directed my comment above ....

Mal.
                  Hi Mal,
                  Im curious as to what model your bread maker is? Do you know if there just one BB280 or are there multiple versions of the same model to confuse people? Mine definitely stirs longer than 12 minutes continuously. If Im really bored tomorrow I might time exactly how long it lasts :-)

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone, I managed to find an old Breville "Breadmaster Select" BB350 at cashconverters. It has a Pasta setting, which stirs for 25 mins.
                    Ive done one roast in it so far and it turned out pretty well, though Ill put the HG a little closer next time I think.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by snavedivad link=1176975737/0#9 date=1177463290
                      Thanks for the info everyone, I managed to find an old Breville "Breadmaster Select" BB350 at cashconverters. It has a Pasta setting, which stirs for 25 mins.
                      Ive done one roast in it so far and it turned out pretty well, though Ill put the HG a little closer next time I think.

Cheers

Dave

Well Done

Ideally the HG will be on a stand that can be moved in/out and up/down easily which aids in hitting the desired temperature changes that allow you to hit First Crack and Second Crack as desired.

Belinda

Comment

Dave,

Welcome aboard the Corretto users group....

You will find after a few roasts you will be roasting like a pro. Ive yet to have a bad roast after the first couple of "experiments" - and even they were quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1176975737/0#11 date=1177465194
                          Dave,

Welcome aboard the Corretto users group....

You will find after a few roasts you will be roasting like a pro. Ive yet to have a bad roast after the first couple of "experiments" - and even they were quite good.

Yes, we are getting quite a nice sized group going here now

Ive not done a bad one either. Just a badly blended rost

Belinda

Comment

Originally posted by steve link=1176975737/0#8 date=1177423178
                            Hi Mal,
                            Im curious as to what model your bread maker is? Do you know if there just one BB280 or are there multiple versions of the same model to confuse people? Mine definitely stirs longer than 12 minutes continuously. If Im really bored tomorrow I might time exactly how long it lasts :-)
                            Gday Steve,

Our BM is Breville "Big Loaf" which purportedly can make loaves up to and including 1.5Kg in weight . Weve never made loaves that size, I think 750g was the biggest size that was consistent with rate of consumption and perceived freshness for the 2-3 of us (if one of our sons decided to camp at home for a while). We bought it in early 1997 I think and as far as I know, the queries weve had about the additional switch mod concerned other Breville BMs that were made around the same time or earlier. Im pretty sure that later models were more flexible in this regard and a couple of them fully programmable. I cant help you with the BB280 though but it would seem that mods are unnecessary for this model and the BB350 mentioned above, so just get set up, stuck in and enjoy

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                            X