PID Corretto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PID Corretto

Ive just finished my Corretto with PID heat control, YAH HOO!

Ive added the control system from my old heat gun, fluidised bed roaster.

(See http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1131373923)

I modified the bread maker a fair bit which Ill go through below. Needless to say, it no longer makes bread.

All the power and control circuits for the bread maker were removed. The agitator motor is connect straight to the power via the switch on the bottom left of the control panel.

Also I had to modify the heat gun because the fan and heat element run of the same power supply and the power to the heating elements are control by a PID control loop. I ran a separate 18 volt power supply for the fan motor.

The push buttons from the bread machine were high jacked for use with the new circuit, however I still needed to cut in the LCD display. I think it turned out OK.

The switch at the bottom of the control panel both turns on the heat gun fan and the bread maker agitator. The socket at the top next to the LCD display is for the thermocouple. On the right hand side you can just see a serial plug for connecting the laptop. You can load new profiles and use it for data logging during the roast.

Ill post some more photos in other posts

Re: PID Corretto

Gutted coffee roaster.

Comment

New control circuit fitted

Comment

New transformer to power the heat gun fan and control circuit.

Comment

Mods to heat gun. I replace the 2 core power lead with a four core one so it still looks neat.

Comment

Finally, first roast profile and data capture.

Comment

This is BRILLIANT !!

I love it. I want one. [smiley=beer.gif]

Is the fan in XUI HG able to be varied minutely with the controller?

That profile looks pretty good. How do you design/edit it?

Belinda

Comment

wrstikoff,

Great project. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ive been doing a similar thing (but using my brain rather than a PID) for Corretto roasting for some time now.

The heatgun I use has two elements (Ryobi) - one produces 60C heat and is used as a voltage dropper for the fan - the other is the 2000W actual heater.

I opened the heater circuit and inserted a triac controller... so that I could alter the power to the heater smoothly as required - and left the second element to power the fan ( no need for a transformer)....

I just monitor the temperature of the beans (with the datalogging meter) and alter the power to the heater by small amounts to follow the desired profile. The PID would close this feedback loop much better (well a lot less human involvement at least ).

Where have you located the thermocouple in the bowl?

Comment

Actually see: http://picasaweb.google.com/DavidLPaget/PIDCorretto for better photos etc

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1179925706/0#6 date=1179964622
                    This is BRILLIANT !!

I love it. I want one. [smiley=beer.gif]

Is the fan in XUI HG able to be varied minutely with the controller?

That profile looks pretty good. How do you design/edit it?

Belinda
                    Hi Belinda,

I didnt make any allowance for varying the fan speed although I could when the heat gun was used in its fluidised bed roll.

The profile is set up in excel and download via realterm. I have posted the file if anyone is interested. The spreadsheet interacts with realterm via a macro.

Comment

very impressive - nice work indeed...... only Id push your roast a little longer to 16-18 minutes.. so hitting 230-240deg at around 15mins bringing on 2nd crack... as a general rule anyway...

Some of my roasts hit 18-20mins...

Comment

Great work! I too have been thinking of similar. Do you have any details on your black box? Also can you cut the heat and leave the fan to cool the beans? If so does it cool reasonably quickly?

Comment

that is really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1179925706/0#10 date=1180044642
                            very impressive - nice work indeed......   only Id push your roast a little longer to 16-18 minutes.. so hitting 230-240deg at around 15mins bringing on 2nd crack...  as a general rule anyway...

Some of my roasts hit 18-20mins...
                            I am limited at the moment to about 14 minutes total roast profile. It is a memory limitation of the chip. The temerature profile is defined in 10 second steps, maybe by making the steps 20 seconds I can double the roast profile time. I think it will still give good enought contol. I have been toying with this one for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by dkelly60 link=1179925706/0#11 date=1180050741
                              Great work! I too have been thinking of similar. Do you have any details on your black box? Also can you cut the heat and leave the fan to cool the beans? If so does it cool reasonably quickly?
                              I must confess - the black box was designed and built by brother so I cannt help to much there. He is working on a MKII with a more powerful chip, Im looking forward to playing with that.

Yes the fan continues to run at the end of roasting but it does not cool down very quickly, after about 1 minute the beans get down to around 200. I usually let it run on fan only for around 10 seconds then dump them and cool on my cooling setup (vacuum cleaner, bucket and stainless mesh spatter guard)

Comment

Working...
                              X