chaff catcher for a popper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chaff catcher for a popper

All I could actually finish making this weekend was a chaff catcher for the crazy popper.
    Made in about 5 minutes, its from one of those splater guards used for fry pans you buy from the supermarket, of which Ive bought several  :
    I removed the mesh that was there already for something else and when Id finished wandering around using leftover frame as a romper room magic mirror, cable tied some aluminiium flywire mesh under the coathanger dome shape, then cut a hole in the middle 5mm shy of the opening on top of the popper. So two pieces, one for dome one for flat part(with hole)
    Usage...
    Cable tied to the side of the milkcrate 20 second cooler its the perfect height for an all in one roasting station and before removing a quick squirt from air in a canremoves chaff over the popper so none escapes all over bench. Emptying is a lil shake over the bin.
    Best part is I can still see thru the top to see the colour of the beans whilst roasting.
    Drum roaster on the drawing board as soon as I figure a rotation device.......
    Been at it all night figuring this one!(drum roaster that is)

Re: chaff catcher for a popper

Is chaff dumping difficult?

A simple tube shape might take up less space and be easier to dump.

Comment

Emptying is easy a light shake over the garage bin and shes done.
      Yep a vertical cylinder would be better, but it was a case of make this with available stuff sitting on the bench or get the screwdriver to the crazy popper. I like this idea over vertical cos I can still look down thru top and see directly into chamber so I can keep an eye on roast. The shape makes the chaff stay out of viewing way. If that made sense!
      Crazy is still alive, and no more chaff all over bench. Im going to redesign(again) after I finish making my next frankenroaster which I should recv the main part later this week. That device will definetly need the tube chaffer
      Turbocharging here I come

Comment

Sullo,

Nice work. I also like the spatter guards, having bought a couple.

Im working on using one for chaff collector on the Corretto, but I still need to work on some details :-/

Cheers
        Dave.

Comment

Im trialling a tube shape as suggested by Nunu,
          details to follow when I roast tomorrow
          thanks Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1180308570/0#0 date=1180308568
            All I could actually finish making this weekend was a chaff catcher for the crazy popper.
            Made in about 5 minutes, its from one of those splater guards used for fry pans you buy from the supermarket, of which Ive bought several  :
            I removed the mesh that was there already for something else and when Id finished wandering around using leftover frame as a romper room magic mirror, cable tied some aluminiium flywire mesh under the coathanger dome shape, then cut a hole in the middle 5mm shy of the opening on top of the popper. So two pieces, one for dome one for flat part(with hole)
            Usage...
            Cable tied to the side of the milkcrate 20 second cooler its the perfect height for an all in one roasting station and before removing a quick squirt from air in a canremoves chaff over the popper so none escapes all over bench. Emptying is a lil shake over the bin.
            Best part is I can still see thru the top to see the colour of the beans whilst roasting.
            Drum roaster on the drawing board as soon as I figure a rotation device.......
            Been at it all night figuring this one!(drum roaster that is)

Hi sullo I noticed you are working on a drum roaster I to am looking at this method using my bbq.You can get low rpm dc motors from jaycar they have one 4.5volts to 18 volts dc 35 rpm as for a power supply try getting one from an old computer then you have choice of voltages +5v,-5v,+12v,-12v and with different voltages you can change your speed

Comment

Working...
            X