Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven roasting - I went over to the dark side

Gday,

so finally Ive done it roasted my first batch of coffee woo hoo and mini wave in celebration for me

I set my oven (a convection/electric oven) to 250*C but sadly it was too much because I got the 1st crack after 4-5minutes also made a mistake reading an online roasting tutorial and in the middle of the whole process turned the temp down to 180*C (I was suppose to turn the tray 180* when putting it back, silly me :-[ ). A couple of minutes later I went to 200*C and not long after that I got the 2nd crack. Turned the oven down, cooled the beans and voila:

Ive read that the 1st crack should appear somewhere around the 10th minute of the roasting process, so I will have to lower the temperature to around 220*C.

Is it bad that the beans were in the oven at 180*C for a couple of minutes after the first crack? they look ok and taste quite nice, but Im wondering what did it do to the beans.

Also should fresh roasted coffee give slower extractions than for example 2week old coffee? the weird thing is that its not like that, I mean I still have to grind quite fine to get slow pours.

Cheers,
    dsc.

Re: oven roasting - I went over to the dark side

looking good! welcome to the world of home roasting dsc

is your oven fan forced? if so, i dont think turning the pan 180* makes _that_ much of a difference... maybe what was the batch size? im guessing that would affect the roast time as well.

from what ive read/heard, roasters tend to want to get 1st crack happening to all of the coffee beans as quick as they can and then extend the interval between 1st crack and 2nd crack for about 5 minutes upwards... then pull the roast at the various stages.

so your roast sounds reasonably good i think. and if it tastes good, lifes good - salute!

Comment

How many did you do at the time? grams?

Comment

Wow. how did they roast so evenly in the oven?!?!?
        They look great

Comment

What happens to the Chaff when Oven Roasting. Does it stay one the bean?

Comment

Gday,

dailybean: glad I joined the coffee roaster group I was using a pizza program which basically means that the lower heater is on and the heater behind the fan is also on. So anything you put inside is being heated form below with the lower heater and the hot air is being circulated around it. I was using 200g of coffee, which almost entirely covered the tray.

So you say that most roasters aim to get the 1st crack as soon as possible and than lower the temp to extend the time between the 1st and 2nd crack? well it looks like a did a similar thing

Yup tastes good, so as you say lifes good ;D

Marc: as I stated before it was somewhere around 200g. I wanted to use 250g but it was a bit too much, so lowered the batch by a handful of greens.

PhatBoy: I guess it has smth to do with the fan hot air circulating around the beans gives a pretty even roast. I also stirred the beans two times during the process, in the middle of the first crack and somewhere between the 1st and 2nd crack.

The Goodies: it all stayed on the tray luckily. It stays around the beans, but tends to fall when you shake the tray or move the beans, so its quite easy to make a mess. I cooled the beans outside using a bigger fan and it turned out to be a very good idea as the fan blew all the chaff away into the grass. Not a problem outside, but if I was to do it in the kitchen it would have made a big mess

Im planning to buy a perforated sheet of metal this week and make a small perforated tray. Im wondering if using a perforated tray will eliminate the need to stir the beans? Hot air should circulate around the beans easily, so maybe stirring them wont be necessary.

Cheers,
            dsc.

Comment

Gday

so I did it again and again three roasts are behind me and Im slowly running out of greens. Time to order some more

Made myself a small perforated tray:

but used it only once, so cant say much about it. Definitely it doesnt eliminate the need to stir the beans

Today I roasted 200g on a normal tray and got this:

Pretty even roast, but its rather dark. This time I used a temp ramp up, going from 160*C to 240*C, increasing temperature each 60s by 10*C and stirring every 120s. When I got to 240*C the 1st crack started, but the whole roast was already very dark and some beans were covered with oils. Im guessing I should lower the temperature right? the problem is that when I set the oven to around 220*C I have to wait really long for the 1st crack as if the temp wasnt high enough for it to start. But when I turn the heat up to 240*C or 250*C the 1st crack starts but the beans look really dark in the middle of it. So my question is:

What should I do to get the 1st crack going but not burn the beans?

Now I end up almost with a FC after the 1st crack and I dont think thats good. Any ideas?

Cheers,
              dsc.

Comment

DSC, a good start, but  relying on air to do the stirring for you may not be sufficient.  

Air will heat the surfaces in direct contact, but the rest of the beans will be relatively insulated.

I think that could be the main problem.

When dropping the temperature, how long to first crack?  

Perhaps try pre-heating the oven.

Comment

Your first effort looks really good DSC. Getting to first crack around 4 -5 minutes is very good, I aim for that with the popper.

Maybe you could try repeating what you did the first time and see what happens. Sometimes, depending on ovens, beans etc etc you need to adjust what you are doing and just use the instructions of others as a guide.

My other advice would be to consider getting a cheap popcorn popper. This takes away the need to stir as the hot air does it for you, although you dont have precise control of the temp there are ways of controlling this a little bit.

Comment

Gday,

Robusto: now I know that stirring is a must, even with a perforated tray if you dont stir you are gonna get an uneven roast. The 1st crack time is a bit of a problem. My first roast had 250*C set at start and I got the 1st crack after only 3-4minutes, so extra fast. With the second roast I put 400g in the oven, used the perforated tray and 230*C to start with. The 1st cracks were hardly audible and happened randomly, dont really know why. I even turned the temp up to around 250*C and still there was no definite 1st crack. During the third roast I went from 160*C to 240*C and had the 1st crack after 10minutes or so.

I always preheat, but Im not sure what temp to set. Should I really aim for the 1st crack somewhere around 5minutes or should I stick to the tutorials and try to have the 1st crack after 10-12minutes?

Lucinda: I can try using 240*C and 200g and see how it goes. The last batch I did with the ramp up smells incredible, a bit fruity and a bit like chocolate I will see how it tastes and experiment with the temps.

Thanks for the replies and as a thank you heres a muffin for you all:

Enjoy

Cheers,
                    dsc.

Comment

Much prefer first crack in 10 minutes, second around 15.... Your third roast is the better-timed one.

Comment

my other thought was that if you are opening and closing the oven door to stir all the time, could this be dropping the temperature as the heat escapes??

Comment

Quicker method: open door, give tray a vigorous shaking (more like vibrating the tray) and you shouldnt need to stir.

Comment

Working...
                          X