ATTENTION HOTTOP OWNERS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENTION HOTTOP OWNERS!!

A friend of mine rang me yesterday to tell me that his Hottop caught fire quite unexpectedly causing irreperable damage. To cut a long story short it transpired that the cause was most likely due to a buildup of chaff in the backend behind the fan which after a certain buildup caught alight. He cautioned me to check my machine which I duly did. On removing the black plastic piece behind the drum I did indeed come across a substantial amount of chaff that exceeded what I would normally collect in the chaff tray. This was easily vacuumed away and the back replaced without incident.

My friend has since purchased a new Hottop with the variable temperature adjustment. He informed me that the chaff tray on this new model is much deeper than his previous one.

My advice to all you Hottop owners out there is to take the back off your machine to see if there is a chaff buildup. It is a very simple procedure involving removing ten small black screws. (Be careful not to lose them as they are fairly small)

It seems that the manufacturers advice on cleaning out the chaff tray and the drum housing is insufficient. I would be interested to know if anyone else is aware of this problem of chaff buildup.

Having said all that though, the hottop is a very fine roaster and I have been delighted with the quality of the roasts over this last year

Re: ATTENTION HOTTOP OWNERS!!

I took the back off my Hottop (purely out of curiosity) after roast number 77. There was a substantial build-up of chaff there and at the time made a mental note to repeat the clean-out process after another 50 roasts.

From memory on reading a thread about the new programmable Hottop and the newer "B" model, Hottop now lists in the instruction book accompanying these roasters that the back-end cleanout should be done every 3 months.

I am really happy with my Hottop....wish its capacity was bigger...but thats all. The roasts are great (with a bit of a modification when winter roasting.)

On another topic....can anyone tell me if "Hottop Roaster"....one of our site sponsors....provides any services, special deals etc. like our other site sponsors? I would like to find out about the cost of upgrading my digital to a "B" specifications.

Comment

I gave the back of my Hottop a cleanout today. The whole operation took less than 15 minutes and I have the peace of mind that all is well in Hottop land....at my Hottop, anyway.

Comment

Hi Paolo

Deal direct with HT in TW. They respond to emails pretty quickly during TW work hours.
        Ive dealt with them directly and nothing has ever gone astray, nor has the money walked. Things usually ship same day the bank transfer is effected. Takes about 3 or 4 days including customs clearance etc.

Comment

Thanks, NakedBean.

Will do.

Kinda thought that seeing as "HOTTOP ROASTER" is a site sponsor...there might be an introductory offer on the "B" upgrade kit for Coffeesnobs members.

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo link=1187345874/0#4 date=1187516346
            Thanks, NakedBean.

Will do.

Kinda thought that seeing as "HOTTOP ROASTER" is a site sponsor...there might be an introductory offer on the "B" upgrade kit for Coffeesnobs members.
            Remember that old drink called Claytons ?? :P

Comment

I know what you are saying, Chris.

I have e-mailed Hottop direct and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks,
              Paolo.

Comment

I havent heard back from our site sponsor yet....they must be on holidays....I will keep you informed.

Comment

Taiwan got whacked with a Typhoon last weekend - and it was a biggie.

There prob still cleaning up.

Comment

Just saw this and thought Id better check my hottop. I purchased this second hand from a fellow coffesnob, not sure how many roasts this has done but I guess a lot given Ive done around 100 roasts!

Before I took tha back off, I gave it a good "blow job" with compressed air. I do this every dozen or so roasts as Ive already noticed chaff gets stuck in places.

The first photo is the hottop after using compressed air.

N.B.
                    Images size reduced to make it easier to view in most browsers,
                    Mal.

Comment

This is after pulling the fan section off, and its not pretty :-[

Looks like some sort of nasty growth!

Comment

Back off now, and its not as bad as I expected, but what the pic doesnt show is a build up of chaff under the main circuit board. I found that out after getting covered in chaff using compressed air to blow it out ;D.

Theres also some buiild up of oils on the motor but Ive left that as Im worried cleaning with some sort of cleaning product mght be more dangerous than leaving it alone.

I used my air compresser to clean out all the chaff.

Comment

Last pic, this is after blowing out the loose chaff and ready to put back together, all up it only took me 10 minutes and Im glad I did.

Comment

I sent (this) a second e-mail to Hottop:-

"Hi!
                            I sent this e-mail to you two weeks ago. I heard that Taiwan was ravaged by a typhoon around this time. I hope that all is well now.

"I am a member of Coffeesnobs and have a digital 240 volt Hottop.

Can you tell me if you are running an introductory offer for Coffeesnobs members on the "B" upgrade kit?

I live in Australia. Can you please tell me the price of this kit to a Coffeesnobs member?"

Could you please reply so that I can inform fellow-Coffeesnobs who may be interested in doing the upgrade to their Hottops.

Thanks,
                            Paolo."

But I still havent heard back from them....have you ever felt like you are being ignored?

Comment

the USA Hottop site lists the conversion for $225 i think...

Id also like to convert my D model to a B model... seems to offer a LOT more control over the entire roast..

Oh yes, i blew the chaff out of the back upon purchase of my secondhand roaster and its a pearler, love the roasts it offers..

cheers
                              Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X