Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattys BM build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mattys BM build

    First, apoligies for the multiple posts, I cant be bothered hosting the photos so its only going to be one pic per post...

    Ive had the breadmaker in the sig for a few weeks, but its yet to be a roaster (still, in fact, but at least now I theoretically could if I had some beans).

    Back Story:
    The Sunbeam BM4800 was found on Trademe and bought for a buck (which the seller didnt even take!). The paddle was jammed, hence the giveaway. I found a seller down in Wellington who was selling a working bowl for this exact machine, so for $20 shipped up to Auckland I had a fully functional breadmaker!

    Of course, I had to see if it worked properly, so I made a few loaves. Suddenly the wife was demanding fresh bread regularly! Use as a roaster had to wait until a second breadmaker could be found for bread making use! Eventually got one this weekend for $40 (another Trademe bargain).

    The BM4800 cant be used unmodified as it only paddles for a max of 15 minutes continuously. (Ironically the other BM we bought runs for 22 minutes, but its a nicer and cleaner one so weve kept that for the bread duties). So the first task was a tear down to see how it all worked.

    N.B.
    Images resized for easier viewing most browsers.... Please keep posted images to a maximum size of 640x480 pixels.
    Mal.



  • #2
    Re: Mattys BM build

    I drew a quick wiring diagram, then figured out what needed to connect to where in order to make the motor run continuously when it was plugged in.

    I stripped out all the stuff that wasnt needed - transformer, electronics, control board, and a couple of wires were cut short.

    By the end I was left with two wires which needed to be connected together. Both were terminated with female spades. I took a walk to Jaycar and planned to find a male-male connector, but then I had an idea and found an appropriately terminated switch instead. It didnt cost any more than a bag of the connectors would have...

    It is Jaycar item No. SK-0979.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Mattys BM build

      I enlarged a hole in the display panel and pushed it in.

      This was all very easy given that I brought limited tools over to NZ with me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Mattys BM build

        Heres the wired up system prior to reassembly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Mattys BM build

          Finally back together again! Ive yet to get some beans and point the HG in, but all should be good to go!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Mattys BM build

            Hey Matty,

            Doe you intend to put a TC in there?

            Gazz

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Mattys BM build

              will start without one. Im cheap and cant be bothered. but it can always be added easily later as it goes into the bowl. I never had any issues without one when using a bowl and spoon.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Mattys BM build

                Well, probably should add a follow up post... Ive done about 4 roasts now. Everything works well, nothing really new to add to the knowledge. Photo below is a small batch of decaf. The largest batch Ive done was yesterday, I put in 4 cups of beans (2 Brazil, 1 Yirg, 1 Mandelhing) - sorry, no scales on hand to weigh that. Started out fairly uneven, but past 1st crack the colours evened up nicely and it finished well.

                Only minor issue with the BM is that it starts squeaking after about 5 minutes under the heat gun. nce cooled it is OK again though. Doesnt seem to affect the outcome.

                Comment

                Working...
                X