Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my Weber - from snags to beans???

Hi all.

A few questions for you learned roasters out there. My darlin missus refuses to let me convert the Ronson BM to a roaster - "how strange, itll wreck it, I might want to make a loaf of something" ... even though its been gathering dust for 5 years on top of the fridge. :

Anyway, Im determined to venture into the exciting world of roasting my own (thanks to all you passionate CSers inspiring me), so am considering using my beloved Weber kettle. Ive scanned this post and seen plenty written about drum type BBQ set-ups with rotisserie attachments, but nothing on kettle type roasting - is this whats referred to as fluid roasting(ie the Weber)???

Ive converted it to be gas fired (thankfully, because I wonder if charcoal flaavour would penetrate the flavours of the bean???), and know of digital probes that give accurate temp readings ($80 cost my bro-in-law - ouch!) - so it seems like a promising project on paper.

However what Im wondering is even if the greens are spread evenly on a converted grill, and the heat is being circulated evenly with lid on, will I achieve browns with a consistent roast? Or do they need to be jiggled around constantly while roasting say with an agitator/paint oscillator I could attach somewhere to the frame to vibrate the unit?

Has anyone else out there had any experience with what Im eager to pursue here? Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tony

Re: my Weber - from snags to beans???

Grinder..forget the Weber, unless you have a "stirrer" or a rotisserie suitable for a drum in there.... by spreading the beans and heating them you will bake the batch, not roasting.
    instead, go to any of the "cash-changer" type shops and pick up a second hand BM with a 25 min dough cycle.
    check in the shop: turn on machine , select "dough" and see what the timer says.. more than 1 hour (for the rising) 25 min (for the kneading): great!

if you really want to use the Weber, you will need a big shallow stainless steel bowl and a whisk/wooden spoon to sit on the wire griddle... then : go stir crazy!!

last alternative: buy your wife a new BM, and confiscate the old one...

L

Comment

Ta for being for the first Liz.

Essentially, whats the diff between baking & roasting? Same heat exposure & circulation, thinkin out aloud.

I like the contained nature that a Weber can offer, with temp probe attached to monitor.

But ya indirectly addressed my major concern, and thats jiggling the greens during roasting on a regulated mode, to achieve full consistency in such a roasting op.

I like the roasting profile of the Weber infrastructure, but am concerned with stagnancy of beans lying on a grill in there, not being tossed & turned like others that seem to be the norm.

SO! My thinking is, go the Weber & some-how have an external motorised vibrator happening subtly aimed at the kettle to shake the beans during roast.

Placement & type is my next mental exercise ...

Luv my Weber,
      Tony

Comment

Gday G.O.D.
        using the Weber to roast your beans should be ok, some people use their oven to roast beans in, but I can see a couple of potential problems with it.
        - theres no window in the lid to give you any visual clues during the roast. This might require a lid removal during the roast, which will give you big temperature variations. Having it run on gas, and using a temp probe will probably help with that.
        - any chaff that comes off the beans during the roast will most likely catch fire on the open flame of the gas burner. Having said that, people who use BBQ roasters dont seem to have a problem with it.
        - If youre going to use the Weber for other duties besides coffee roasting, you may get some strange flavours in your coffee, and some coffee flavours in your meats. You may come up with the latest taste sensation ;D.
        Have a search for oven roasting on this site and check out the results.
        Go on, give it a crack, you only live once.

Comment

"Go on, give it a crack, you only live once."

FC or SC?!

Thanks mate, I think that cuts to the chase. Ill give it a go, with some mods in mind to be worked through & then applied, then the results will navigate me ...

Focal concern with my Weber adventure still lies, though, with agitating those bloody beans when roastin!

Non-existent window to watch - mmm, good point. Theres that slideable vent on the hood to extract smoke - so that could maybe be replaced with shatter-proof/heat resistant transparent material to monitor the beans? But then where do I vent the bloody smoke build up ...

As you said though, accurate temp readings & audible cracks should mitigate this drawback of blindness!

Collecting the chaff, away from the flame, yet not compromising the heating ability in such a set-up is yet another consideration.

Yeah, methinks I need to think it out more for a prototype before I just give in, get a Bosch HG & flame my wifes beloved, but discarded, BM ...

Ta muchly for the input Lovey

Tony

Comment

Great to read your roasting journey G.O.D.

I had a brief romance with the BBQ roaster. Many blisters and much sweat and tears later I took the bull by the horns and took posession of my own BM(bread maker). We have a "T3ND3R C3NT3R" near by where for about $20 you can always get a near new cast off.

After a trip to Corettos place to pick up I moded my BM even more.

I recommend persevering with the Kettle BBQ a little while longer. Consider hand agitation: Two stainless cutlery drainers hinged together with a pole through the middle should do it.

Once you have done a few good roasts you will be hooked. Then it will be time to add "vanes" to the inside of your "drum". Then you will find an old windscreen wiper motor to save your fore arm. Then you will go to cash conv3rt3rs or the t3nd3r c3nt3r and take the plunge.

Once you get your own BM and heat gun(Corretto) set up you will be set for MONTHS of roasting pleasure rather than sporadic HOURS that the kettle used to offer.

Enjoy the journey, take the short cuts offered by the combined experience of the CS team but most of all INNOVATE!

I love long weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1191053562/0#2 date=1191076270

an external motorised vibrator happening

Tony

M8 if she wont let you have the BM you have buckleys of getting that......... ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Hey Coffee Prince, sounds like you read tarot cards the way youve mapped out my dubious roasting journey ahead!!

Yeah itd be easier to just get stuck into the Corretto method, & bypass the grief (& blisters!) ... but Im a stubborn bugger (many would say foolhardy!) & like a challenge.

I like how you ended your post with INNOVATE - cause thats the essence of it. If Belinda hadnt cleverly thought outside the square, & given something different a go, we wouldnt have the now famous Corretto home roasting technique!

Cheers,
                Tony (aka Don Quixote of the roasting world)

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1191053562/0#4 date=1191155376

Focal concern with my Weber adventure still lies, though, with agitating those bloody beans when roastin!
                  Can you use a rotisserie with one of those kettles? You may be able to mod a rotisserie to fit inside the kettle, and voila, instant agitation.

Non-existent window to watch - mmm, good point.  Theres that slideable vent on the hood to extract smoke - so that could maybe be replaced with shatter-proof/heat resistant transparent material to monitor the beans?  But then where do I vent the bloody smoke build up ...
                  Maybe pick up a second lid which you can modify with both a window and some vents for the smoke.

Ta muchly for the input Lovey
                  Youre very welcome.

Comment

Yeah Lovey the kettle is fabricated with slots to accomodate a motorised Weber rotisserie - but at $200 to buy one , no-can-do! Im on a budget here

Anyway I could hunt around for a cheaper alternative, or adapt a simple steel rod & add a handle. It would solve the agitation dilemma, but Id then have to slide some sort of perforated drum over it to hold in the beans. That brings back the problem of viewing the beans whilst roasting. Temp. wise I could easily fit a probe into one end of the drum - I wonder if it would be hotter in the drum than in the kettle while shes all fired up (just thinking out aloud)?? How rapidly to turn the rotisserie is another issue to get as even a roast possible?

Then surely the inside of the drum would have to be cleaned regularly to remove residual flavours? Especially roasting different SOs, you dont want their particular characteristics tainted by a previous roast with a totally different SO.

Darn, thought this was going to be relatively simple - or am I just making it complicated?

A lotta thinking through the issues ahead of me, methinks

Thanks for the on-going input

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1191053562/0#9 date=1191224292
                      Yeah Lovey the kettle is fabricated with slots to accomodate a motorised Weber rotisserie - but at $200 to buy one  , no-can-do!  Im on a budget here  

Anyway I could hunt around for a cheaper alternative, or adapt a simple steel rod & add a handle.  It would solve the agitation dilemma, but Id then have to slide some sort of perforated drum over it to hold in the beans.  That brings back the problem of viewing the beans whilst roasting.  Temp. wise I could easily fit a probe into one end of the drum - I wonder if it would be hotter in the drum than in the kettle while shes all fired up (just thinking out aloud)??  How rapidly to turn the rotisserie is another issue to get as even a roast possible?

Then surely the inside of the drum would have to be cleaned regularly to remove residual flavours?  Especially roasting different SOs, you dont want their particular characteristics tainted by a previous roast with a totally different SO.

Darn, thought this was going to be relatively simple - or am I just making it complicated?

Hi GrindOnDemand,

I have a buddy in Abbotsford (Melb) who made some pretty snazzy drums for me when I dabbled with a convection oven roaster. One in perforated steel, built around a 4mm square rotisserie rod bbq rod was hinged down one side to allow it to be easily split to dump beans. Bonuses were that little stones fell out and most of the chaff dropped out as well...

Drop me a line if you want his details...

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1191053562/0#9 date=1191224292
                        Yeah Lovey the kettle is fabricated with slots to accomodate a motorised Weber rotisserie - but at $200 to buy one  , no-can-do!  Im on a budget here  
                        Live on the edge, dont buy one, make your own  8-).
                        Do a search of this site for rotisserie, bbq drum, wiper motor and youll come up trumps. Some of the drums Ive seen range from a big Milo tin with heaps of holes drilled into it, up to custom made stainless jobbies. Windscreen wiper motors are a popular way of turning the drum, also drills and electric door motors.

Anyway I could hunt around for a cheaper alternative, or adapt a simple steel rod & add a handle.
                        Thats the spirit  .

It would solve the agitation dilemma, but Id then have to slide some sort of perforated drum over it to hold in the beans.  That brings back the problem of viewing the beans whilst roasting.
                        Youll have to rely on the audio cues more, but the whole set up should be fairly quiet, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Temp. wise I could easily fit a probe into one end of the drum - I wonder if it would be hotter in the drum than in the kettle while shes all fired up (just thinking out aloud)??
                        Id imagine that it would be a bit hotter inside the bean mass than the rest of the kettle. I think the main thing would be to get repeatable, reliable results, rather than super accurate temp readings.

How rapidly to turn the rotisserie is another issue to get as even a roast possible?
                        That is discussed in the BBQ drum threads.

Then surely the inside of the drum would have to be cleaned regularly to remove residual flavours?  Especially roasting different SOs, you dont want their particular characteristics tainted by a previous roast with a totally different SO.
                        Or the taste of steak or lamb in your coffee  ;D

Nothing in life worth doing is easy. Imagine the sense of satisfaction youll have when you get it working.
                        Glad to help.

Comment

Your advice Lovey is welcome, & helpfully lowering my blood pressure thinkin & pursuin such a venture - youre on the mark saying "nothing in life worth doing is easy".

Wise words mate ...

2mcm, regarding the dumping of beans post-roast to cool in the configuration Im figuring out, your mates idea of a hinged outlet actually came as a separate inspiration today!

I thought encased, fresh-roasted beans with scorching metal surrounds - how to release them effectively, & quickly to be cooled, & prevent a few 3rd degree burns on the way? - so the wing-nut attached, external hinged door released easily (with a frikkin glove on, mind you!) with downward chute channelling fresh roast into a separate, fan-assisted cooling chamber! Lookin good on paper anyway so-far

The plans comin together!

Thanks guys ...

Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X